It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: reldra

Oh, so we should all have been involved in the Oscar voting and nomination process too?

No, where did you get that? My post said that you could have an opinion without being say 'up for an award'. That is what I meant by being 'involved'. Some have pointed out a few people did not have work up for consideration and are complaining.
edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

link   
What roles and movies are they saying should have been nominated ?

Surely if they're saying some should have been nominated they have a few in mind that were quality enough to be nominated ?
edit on 18-1-2016 by Noobarino because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: angeldoll

What would you do if ever nominated for a Grammy? 

Hmmmmmm... let me get back to you on that

link   
They are calling for a boycott. Will there actually be a boycott or is this just a "look at me" moment?

I would tend to ignore them. If they both quit tomorrow and never return to movies, we haven't lost much.

+9 more 
link   

I think Blacks are happy for Whites who win. Doesn't mean there isn't a separate issue of Blacks being mainly ignored in the awards.

But it begs the question, are they being passed over because they are Black, or because another film or actor was better?

link   
Honestly, I don't put too much stock in the Oscars anymore. For one, it's gotten political.

The nail in the coffin for me was the year "Titanic" took Best Picture. If garbage like that is even in the running you know the whole thing is a load of bull manure.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

I think Blacks are happy for Whites who win. Doesn't mean there isn't a separate issue of Blacks being mainly ignored in the awards.

But it begs the question, are they being passed over because they are Black, or because another film or actor was better?

I think some may have been passed over due to skin color, but not all. Just the some part is enough to complain.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I think it is ok. BET awards HAD to be created or else black actors would hardly get any nods. It has changed a little, but not enough. If it is not looking representative to the talent, then this IS necessary.

Thank you! Folks are complaining about black folks being upset, without looking at the history of Hollywood.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: angeldoll

I think some may have been passed over due to skin color, but not all. Just the some part is enough to complain.

Which ones do you think we're passed over due to skin color?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Honestly, I don't put too much stock in the Oscars anymore. For one, it's gotten political.

The nail in the coffin for me was the year "Titanic" took Best Picture. If garbage like that is even in the running you know the whole thing is a load of bull manure.

Some people loved Titanic. Even if you didn't like a love story...it was an epic movie. It is one of my favorites. A lot of liking a movie or a piece of art or a poem is if it connects with you emotionally. Titanic certainly did that for a LOT of people. That is sort of the point of creating something. I write poetry, ant the point is to connect with the audience and cause an emotional response.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Some? Which ones?

Why aren't Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith championing any wronged parties? If they are experts, you'd think they would know.

Maybe the reason they aren't is because if they put up examples, people would be able to look and say, "Um, nope. Not Oscar worthy."

But you can always rely on people to buy the idea of an unnamed "some."

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Good for them.

They are voicing their opinion on a matter that is of concern to them. They do, after all, work in the industry, and should, one would suppose, know what's going on in it.

If they see something that is of concern to them, should they not say something?

This is not one whit different, save in scope, from the Civil Rights movement of the sixties. Agree with it, or not, they are right to voice concerns.

Good on them!!
edit on 1/18/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, Duke doesn't. Knot heads try to say something but it is ignored.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie

I think it is ok. BET awards HAD to be created or else black actors would hardly get any nods. It has changed a little, but not enough. If it is not looking representative to the talent, then this IS necessary.

Thank you! Folks are complaining about black folks being upset, without looking at the history of Hollywood.

Yes, things were racist. But do we need to find a nominee of minority status every year now out of respect to history without respecting the reason for the awards?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Some? Which ones?

Why aren't Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith championing any wronged parties? If they are experts, you'd think they would know.

Maybe the reason they aren't is because if they put up examples, people would be able to look and say, "Um, nope. Not Oscar worthy."

But you can always rely on people to buy the idea of an unnamed "some."

I will have to look that up. I am behind on watching the winning movies. Though I have seen "The Room", and loved it. Besides that, there is a missing percentage of Black actors. I will have to see the films that were overlooked. True, they are experts. I am not. Just looking at the numbers, though, something is off. It tells me this logically.

I am surely not looking for 50/50, just because of the population stats. but it is still off.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: ketsuko

No, Duke doesn't. Knot heads try to say something but it is ignored.

Not every year, but some. I've seen it said.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The Oscars used to be about true art and real talent.

Now it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

If they were serious about art and talent they would have serious emcees instead of people who take cheap shots at the audience and pull stupid stunts like selfies.

+9 more 
link   

Lol so you don't know but we're comfortable saying that you think some were????

+11 more 
link   

A "missing percentage" ...

Don't tell me you buy the idea that because blacks make up a certain percentage of the overall population, they must also make up a certain percentage of every other population or else they are being discriminated against?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
How is it alright for there to be racially exclusive awards (BET), but if a NON racially exclusive awards just happens to not choose Black actors, despite having done so in the past, people get all up in arms?

I thought this was suppose to be about acting, not skin color and the perception of entitlement.

To be fair, Marshall Mathers AKA Eminem has been nominated a bunch of times for BET and has and won a award with them on the hip hop version... source

So I guess it's not racially exclusive. culturally maybe...both The Oscars or any group either in my opinion, would be guilty of this and is just simply the culture of socialites being exclusive/ pat on the back/ hee haw/ post game /shower towel slap/tickle fight clubs that they appear to be and nothing more.

And I thought the Oscars was just a big circle jerk of the rich and ignorant.nothing to get all up in arms about indeed. especially by us lowly cogs of the machine.

edit on 18-1-2016 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join