It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Well fortunately I don't give a rat's rear end about a bunch of hollywierd folks stroking each other.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
So,, umm, what if a white basketball coach refused to attend the NBA finals because there aren't a sufficient number of white players on the teams? What do you think would happen to him?

You have one of my favorite minds on ATS. Like it or not.

He'd be labeled a racist.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

So,, umm, what if a white basketball coach refused to attend the NBA finals because there aren't a sufficient number of white players on the teams? What do you think would happen to him?

That is insane. Look at the history of basketball, or any major US sport, it wasn't real easy for Black players to get in to begin to begin with.
edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It's college, but doesn't Duke's basketball team occasionally come under fire for having what others consider to be a suspicious number of white players form time to time. I assume that since they tend to win, no one really digs at the point too hard.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Well fortunately I don't give a rat's rear end about a bunch of hollywierd folks stroking each other.

What would you do if ever nominated for a Grammy?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

edit on 1/18/2016 by Klassified because: Forget it.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
a reply to: Konduit

It's the old "Poor me! I didn't get picked because I'm Black"! song being played on an old broken record player.

Not surprised Spike Lee is behind this though.

No, it's not. That is offensive on so many levels.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

By God I'm sick of hearing that crap.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Honestly I think its time to hit the reset button either that or its getting close to it, the sense of crazyness just feels like its taken a steep ascent its crescendo to whatever fate has in stall for us.
so what are the chances of a kanye west syle of a tantrum at the oscars or a BLM interuption, high on the cards.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Your upset because black actors (the ones calling for the boycott) are boycotting an awards ceremony they feel should have more diversity?

Now THAT is entitlement. The feeling that no one should protest even if they feel like they should.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Here is the problem in a nut shell:

There are only so many movies that are produced, and then they are voted on by those in the industry. And if those of one group or another are left out, it is cause they were not liked, or cause those casting the ballots, did not see them at their very best?

Spike Lee and other artists in the field, how many of them are seeking and producing movies that would show such and get them into the running?

I look at people like Tyler Perry, while he may not have won an oscar, he has shown that he can do the absolute best at what he does, the same goes for the Wayne brothers.

Spike Lee and all of the others should be asking are they in this for a statue, which can ruin a persons career, or show that they can compete and make more money than say an Oscar winning movie. What are they in the business for, to win statues or make money?

Personally it resembles Kanye West, and pitching a temper tantrum.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
My true feelings: I wish we weren't having this conversation. I wish all of us could embrace all of us and stop all this separate-ness. Why cant Blacks be happy for the Whites who win? I never loved Larry Byrd any less than I did Kareem or Michael Jordan.

I know that doesn't make sense but I don't care.

I feel like breaking into a loud rendition of "Imagine".

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's funny that neither Jada Pinkett Smith nor Spike Lee were involved in any productions at all that were anywhere near Oscar consideration. Nice ploy to grab attention for themselves.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
My true feelings: I wish we weren't having this conversation. I wish all of us could embrace all of us and stop all this separate-ness. Why cant Blacks be happy for the Whites who win? I never loved Larry Byrd any less than I did Kareem or Michael Jordan.

I know that doesn't make sense but I don't care.

I feel like breaking into a loud rendition of "Imagine".

I think Blacks are happy for Whites who win. Doesn't mean there isn't a separate issue of Blacks being mainly ignored in the awards.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheForced

Olympic participation isn't choosen by a group, that comparison doesn't work.

The oscars however ARE choosen by older white men and that's what folks are upset about, old white guys that decide who should get nominated.

THIS is a prime example of the double standard of America. When something like this happens and black folks go and do something (like the BET awards) we have folks that sit there and complain, "Why is there a BET or even a BET awards."

Well, the reason is right there, even if you won't acknowledge it

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
It's funny that neither Jada Pinkett Smith nor Spike Lee were involved in any productions at all that were anywhere near Oscar consideration. Nice ploy to grab attention for themselves.

Why is that funny? They can't have an opinion and not be involved in the awards process? I have an opinion. You have an opinion. The OP has an opinion.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Your upset because black actors (the ones calling for the boycott) are boycotting an awards ceremony they feel should have more diversity?

Now THAT is entitlement. The feeling that no one should protest even if they feel like they should.

And if they all boycott then the ceremony will lose its diversity. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Here is the problem in a nut shell:

There are only so many movies that are produced, and then they are voted on by those in the industry. And if those of one group or another are left out, it is cause they were not liked, or cause those casting the ballots, did not see them at their very best?

Spike Lee and other artists in the field, how many of them are seeking and producing movies that would show such and get them into the running?

I look at people like Tyler Perry, while he may not have won an oscar, he has shown that he can do the absolute best at what he does, the same goes for the Wayne brothers.

Spike Lee and all of the others should be asking are they in this for a statue, which can ruin a persons career, or show that they can compete and make more money than say an Oscar winning movie. What are they in the business for, to win statues or make money?

Personally it resembles Kanye West, and pitching a temper tantrum.

NO, this does NOT resemble a Kanye West temper tantrum.

Way to try to minimize it, but that is not an accurate comparison.
edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Oh, so we should all have been involved in the Oscar voting and nomination process too?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: TheForced

Olympic participation isn't choosen by a group, that comparison doesn't work.

The oscars however ARE choosen by older white men and that's what folks are upset about, old white guys that decide who should get nominated.

THIS is a prime example of the double standard of America. When something like this happens and black folks go and do something (like the BET awards) we have folks that sit there and complain, "Why is there a BET or even a BET awards."

Well, the reason is right there, even if you won't acknowledge it

Some Olympic participation is.

Consider the sports that are judged by a panel. That is somewhat subjective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join