It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The beauty of the weed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
So this summer while bush hogging I got the idea to collect pics of the beauty of my small farm and make a thread on it this winter when the weather turned bad.

Well, that day is here. I woke up to a balmy 4 degrees F this morning and decided it's time to reflect on the beauty of the summer past.

I'm not a photographer by any means, nor do I know the scientific names of these beauties. Feel free to chime in if you know what they are and want to show off your knowledge.

I hope you enjoy, and I hope it brings you warmth !

I think this is a purple yarrow

Queen Annes Lace

this is 2 different weeds together. the white flower opened is next

it was a very thistley year

I've never seen these until this year, they are huge !

I call this flax but have no idea what it's name is. It is very prolific.

this is the flower from the Polk Weed

I call these trumpet weeds...

a black eyed susan without the black eye?

Petunia thanks you for watching

and Suzie thanks you for your time also

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nice Pictures.

I thought I was coming into a VERY different thread..

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

I almost titled it the beauty of weed just to mess with people.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

Petunia and Suzie are adorable!
Your farm looks very comfortable.
I like the pond.

That huge plant you haven't seen until this year...somewhere in my brain I know the name of that...I just can't find it!

I almost titled it the beauty of weed just to mess with people.

That's the title! You did it! Not "almost"
edit on 18-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I thought this was going to be about pot lol.
Thank you so much for this taste of summer. I miss it so much.

My dog's name is Suzie, too. She's a stinker.
ETA: Those orange flowers are here, too. My friend calls them touch me nots. I have no idea what the actual name is. Humming birds love them.
edit on 18-1-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The fourth pic is a snapdragon (?) Sixth pic is a wild cucumber (very poisonous). Ya, don't eat the wild cucumber. Deathly poisonous.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

What a sight to see! Thanks for documenting and sharing this with us. Reminds me of my childhood growing up in Vermont.

Very stunning photos - your donkey and canine friend are also both very photogenic. Bless you and the beauty you surround yourself with

ETA: the fourth picture with orange an flower looks to be jewelweed www.illinoiswildflowers.info...
edit on 18-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Talk about "click-bait!"

A very interesting and unique thread you created here.

I, too, have always admired natural growing weeds, especially flowering ones. I never understood why Grandma made me pull so many weeds from the rock garden! I thought they always looked right at home.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

It is very comfortable!
Maybe next summer I'll make a thread of my hobby farm. I have too many pets but they keep me going. and I love them all.

The little pond is really pretty. I've tried getting ducks for it but they just get eaten so I gave up on that.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

oh, that's it for sure !
they grow like crazy along the creek.
thanks, now I know !

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I think a lot of 'perennials' sold in stores are really what some call weeds.
The last few summers I've noticed the 'yarrow' plants being sold as perennials, but they have been growing wild in my pastures ever since I've lived here. butterflies love them.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Nice photos-But never ever promote the beauty of the weed again. I HATE WEEDS.

Some are beneficial as they attract bees but the rest are like a canker sore-irritating and unwanted. Creepers strangling Tomatoes, squatters stealing my chilies soil...A pest may be beautiful but they are still a pest and don't be swayed by their beauty! They are the sirens of the botanical world.

edit on 18-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I think you qualify as a very good photographer!! Nice shallow depth of field, crisp focus and perfect framing for the subject matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
yeah, i could spend some time on that piece of land. I sure could.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ditchweed

Sixth pic is a wild cucumber (very poisonous). Ya, don't eat the wild cucumber. Deathly poisonous.

That's very good to know. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I remember just about all of these from when I was growing up on the farm.
We had a lot of the orange trumpet flowers that grew on vines and the humming birds loved them , one of the vines grew up by one of the windows in the house and we would just watch the humming birds come every day. That was one of the best things about growing up in a place like that, you got to see so much more of nature than most people will ever see. .....nice pics

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Very pretty pictures. I often leave weds that flower if they don't take over the lawn. I also don't plant flowers or vegetables, so no problem there. One of my neighbors complained about a flowering weed that was growing next to the tree at the street. I told them to mind their own lawn.

edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

lol. I guess that's why what used to be my huge garden is now just a few square feet.
a big garden is just about a full time job.

My last big garden year I guess a little birdie pooped a morning glory seed and omg did it take off. It was miserable.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: ditchweed

Sixth pic is a wild cucumber (very poisonous). Ya, don't eat the wild cucumber. Deathly poisonous.

That's very good to know. Thanks.

My neighbors are into eating Polk weed. I have no interest in eating anything that will poison you if you don't cook it like 4 times over.

that wild cucumber - man those thorny balls hurt like hell if you get into them.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Very pretty pictures. I often leave weds that flower if they don't take over the lawn. I also don't plant flowers or vegetables, so no problem there. One of my neighbors complained about a flowering weed that was growing next to the tree at the street. I told them to mind their own lawn.

haha. good for you ! I only spray when I really have to I hate chemicals. And I let my chickens out almost every day and I don't want them eating chemicals either. I only spray the gravel driveway when it gets to a point I have to mow it. the yard, well if it's remotely green it can stay. The dandelions take over in the spring, but if I look really hard they are inhabited by native pink ladybugs and honey bees so it's not all bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join