It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danville Officer Thomas Cottrell Shot Dead, Weapon and Cruiser Stolen

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2016 by Wardaddy454 because: double post

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

You may not be justifying it, but you're certainly willing to make excuses for it. Being "sick" of something doesn't mean go out and kill someone.

Is he justifying the death of the officers, or pointing to situations that can be corrected to prevent this type of thing from recurring???

There are a multitude of people that are willing and able to blame their short comings on others, but everyone needs to ask themselves what they could have done differently. i.e. In this case the LEO's need to sort out the bad apples, rather than the *FOP defending them.

Our police have earned a tremendous amount of bad press since the camera was included in cell phones, they need to rethink their actions and work on the behavoir problems to end the negative PR. If they don't end the negative PR the hate will keep growing, which is making their job even more dangerous.

*FOP Fraternal Order of Police - their union

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Do you have a link to an article that says (as one member implied) that this happened because the suspect was tired of getting jammed up over dope or a link to an article that says (as you seem to be implying) that the suspect decided he was going to combat police corruption by killing a cop?

Because I have yet to see a motive released from the investigation beyond "he wanted to harm police." So if you've got something to support either your implication or the other implication, I'd like to read up on it.

If in fact we're just jumping the gun and trying to mitigate committing murder, all I can really say is shame on you. That kind of commentary is no better than the members that jump into a police shooting thread with comments like "well stop being a criminal and you won't get shot."

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ReadLeader

You've never been turned down for jobs because of a background check, or experienced the court system, or been beaten or the many other various things that people are struggling with that no one seems to care about...

All of these issues have been on the table for years and people are getting so sick and the economy is so bad that everyone is snapping.

*not directed at you, just a general rant*
Well perhaps people should actually act like grown ups, and not do things that would get them into trouble.

perhaps it is time people take responsibility for their actions, instead of cry poor me.

Life is all about choices, it really is.
Cause and effect and all of that jazz.
I am so tired of people playing the 'poor me' card.
*sigh*

As far as the officer shot, RIP, and I am glad they got the dirtbag who did it.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Nice try at changing the subject of the OP so you can form an attack on your grounds.

From the OP:

Well, this is just not good news; I was JUST reading about how many officers were ambushed in 2015 and went back to check a source and found this.

I said that the police are endangering themselves by allowing the bad apples to stay on the force and the FOP is exasperating the public by aiding the bad apples.

Neither OQ nor I claimed this was the direct cause of officer Cottrell death, nor do we imply that in our posts!

If I had no compassion for our officers, I would not have bothered to comment.

Quit making assumptions as that make you look like an ___.

edit on 18-1-2016 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
My local paper is pretty through with their reporting, here are some of the highlights of this scumbag, who should have been shot on sight:

A man whose ex-girlfriend reported that he was armed and looking to kill police was in custody suspected in the death of an officer whose body was found behind the municipal building of a small Ohio town, authorities said Monday.

The body of Danville Officer Thomas Cottrell was found late Sunday night, about 20 minutes after the ex-girlfriend of Herschel Ray Jones called dispatchers to report that officers in Danville were in danger, Knox County Sheriff David Shaffer said.

Jones was taken into custody around 1:30 a.m. following a short foot chase after he was spotted running from a home in Danville, which is about 60 miles northeast of Columbus.

Jones, 32, has a lengthy criminal history and in one case tried to claim he was legally insane, according to court records. Knox County court records show Jones has multiple convictions for breaking and entering, burglary,(these are 2nd degree felonies, 5-15 years) receiving stolen property and carrying a concealed weapon dating back to 2001. In a 2011 case, he pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity before changing his plea to guilty.

Ohio prison records show Jones served nearly four years for the 2011 convictions on charges of receiving stolen property and possession of chemicals for manufacture of drugs. He was released last April.

This guy was a revolving door scumbag, with an attempted admitted history of metal illness. Now I cant say whether he had his own firearm, or disarmed officer Cottrell and murdered him with his own, as the Police Chief has not yet disclosed. In any case though, this man was never at any point during this altercation and event legally in possession of a firearm, and no amount of gun control (confiscation) would have prevented this tragedy. I just want to throw that out there now.

Why is it that pieces of # like these are more frequently apprehended alive and unharmed, and yet unarmed citizens all over the country who never pose a threat are gunned down in cold blood.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

A man whose ex-girlfriend reported that he was armed and looking to kill police

It looks like it was a premeditated, random shooting or ambush of an officer walking out of the PD, by a career criminal. There is no justification for this type of behavior, what a sickening waste of a man's, officer Cottrell's life.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: xuenchen

Agreed, well this is certainly intersting; from your source

Mr. X was a 21-year-old, African-American man who presented to our facility for his second psychiatric hospitalization. He was discharged one week prior after a 30-day stay with a diagnosis of cannabis-induced psychotic disorder. He started using cannabis shortly afterward and became symptomatic with more pronounced delusions and psychotic behavior. He was brought to the Greater Binghamton Health Center (GBHC), Binghamton, New York, for exhibiting hostile and grandiose behavior at a local deli where he refused to pay for his meal because he had “nine billion dollars” in his bank account. He had pressured speech, racing thoughts, flight of ideas, insomnia, and delusions of grandeur that he “owns this hospital” and worked as a “successful rap artist.”

I live one town over from where this happened. Not only is that one of the stupidest things I've read, it's not even close to why this guy shot the officer, or even remotely related to this case. It's also common knowledge that most, if not all, psychiatric diagnosis is pseudo-science. They don't even know what depression is, all they know is they can monitor serotonin levels ... and that's basically where it stops....all psychiatric diagnosis is officially stamped guesses to push pills.

Anyway, the dude shot the officer after robbing a CVS, most likely for drugs or to gather the sudafed to produce meth. Frankly I'm surprised the perp wasn't shot on sight instead of cuffed.

"A few months ago, Jones faced criminal charges. On October 16, 2015 Jones was charged with Having Weapons While Under Disability, a third degree felony, Felonious Assault, a second degree felony, and Attempted Rape, a second degree felony. His bond was set at $100,000. "

knoxpages.com...

I do not know why no one's reporting the CVS robbery, because my work was locked down briefly because of it. Unless we just got bad information? I don't know...
edit on 20-1-2016 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join