It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 8 years of the same Avatar, Should it change?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
So, it's been 8 years that I've forced all of you to stare at what some have called, 'that hideous monstrosity', and also 'that revolting thing', and also 'is that a self portrait?', and also 'that fascinating creature', avatar.

A long time ago I stumbled upon an extremely talented 3D artist (Greg Petchkovsky), and this one particular piece really stuck out and 'spoke' to me.

To me, it's a gorgeous representation of the feeling of fascination of the unknown. The creature within it seems as though they are in deep, deep thought on the little alien-caterpillar it has skewered, and is analyzing and evaluating every detail.

What makes it even more intense - for me - is how the creature itself is both incredibly beautiful and terribly ugly at the same time. It invokes a certain inability to really decide what to think of it.

Over the years I've received hundreds of comments regarding that avatar, with a spectrum from 'beautiful fascination' to 'appalling disgust'. It's important to note that although I've thoroughly enjoyed receiving all the attention for it, none of these comments effected how I feel about the avatar itself.

Nevertheless, it's been 8 years now, and I'm on the edge of a blade figuring out if I should continue to keep it, or move on to the next obscure avatar, with hopes of implementing a similar discomforting/fascinating/weird effect this one has had on all you fine folks.

I have Four options for you to choose from. However, before you do choose, I want you to take these three factors into consideration:

1) Which of the following images invokes the strongest reaction from you? (any reaction, be it Disquisitive, Fear, fascination, join, amusement, whatever)

2) Which of the following images do you find to be the most appealing, and why?

3) (this only applies if you're familiar with the topics I tend to create, and the responses I tend to give) Which of the following images do you feel best represents how you view my content within the forum?

Option 1: A painting by polish artist Zdzisław Beksiński. I'm incredibly enthralled by his work, option 3 is also by him

Option 2: I've had my eye on this 3d artist for a long time as well, his work is very inspiring.

Option 3: A second painting by polish artist Zdzisław Beksiński.

Option 4: Lastly, should I simply keep my current Avatar by 3d artist Greg Petchkovsky?

Thanks for helping me come to this decision

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I am voting to keep your present avatar.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I love option 1, I'm also fond of 3. How ever should you choose, your original is wunderbar.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ghost, I would vote to NOT change your snarled non nostril alien with blimp in background avtar. You are him, he is you.

Don't change it buddy.... I've grown to love this alien...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My vote goes to number 2.

I've enjoyed many of your posts, but have to admit the current avatar creeps me out--every single time.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

NOOOOOOOOO! Just no!

I love it!

The creature within it seems as though they are in deep, deep thought on the little alien-caterpillar it has skewered, and is analyzing and evaluating every detail

IT (the avatar pic) is what makes YOU...YOU...

PLEASE don't change...

SOME of US...enjoy...you....

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: msfitte
but have to admit the current avatar creeps me out--every single time.

Hahaha, well, that would mean that within the three factors, the fourth option would be your best bet

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Why not? I change mine sometimes twice a week...depending on my mood!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Yes please change it. Anything else would be fine. For some reason that is the only avatar that I never want to see

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

how about this:

You keep the alien in your avatar, but click my signature and let one of our artists make you an update on the theme?

The alien creature is simply outstanding artwork, and it seems most who wish to chime in, seem to like it. So if you want a change, lets do a change without changing the spirit?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I saw this one on FB today:

Disturbing.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

To be honest it really freaked me out when I started here .. Your username is so strong no one will mistake you for anyone else

But now I read the description of your avatar and it's actually really beautiful and meaningful

You can always change it back

Maybe change the avatar keep the signature deciding if it works for you

edit on 17-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I like the original. He's creepy without verging on disturbing. He's almost personable in a bizarre sort of way.

Options 1 and 3 are verging on disturbing. But I do like Option 2. Not sure if it's quite you though. You might try it on for a bit.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

i saw that one. It is a fantastic image, though. Captures the essence.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Look, it's China!

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Look, it's China!

Actually it's inspired by an old Cree saying:

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realise we cannot eat money

www.unitedearth.com.au...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

The only thing is with the second and third one
Your avatar window will be I think smaller when you keep the full dimension

The first picture won't be as detailed as it is now enlarged either

Lol Ketsuko .. China is here

edit on 17-1-2016 by Layaly because: Sp

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I saw this one on FB today:

Disturbing.

It is very interesting, indeed. I'm not quite sure if it's 'avatar material', though. Perhaps if it were a sketch or digital art? But, I do like it a lot

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

1) Which of the following images invokes the strongest reaction from you?

Only the current one

I love it actually the avatar and when you write in pink or red then it feels warm for some reason

Your topics are mostly religion and nature images from experience

The avatar goes strong with the religion touch (traditional.. not
it goes with your point of view on that topic)
The bulb one would go with the strange mushrooms and crazy beautiful eyes threads (progressive)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Why not? I change mine sometimes twice a week...depending on my mood!

edit on 17-1-2016 by JohnthePhilistine because: Ugliness

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join