It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colors Colors ... Colours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I am soliciting ideas for a 2016/17 redesign.

One facet of this is the color schema.

If I could ask of anyone with opinion, do you like the current colors on ID? Do you have preferences? Or suggestions?

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.

Home page:
www.ignorancedenied.com...
Forum Home:

Thank you all.
Now let it rip...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

You mean the orange and blue ?

The home page

the sun coming up its beautiful the writing on side I would read if it was spaced out
as to the topics the tinny pictures make it look again busy so it's hard to read them
The orange is toned down and the writing is more spaced out (the bold orange writing at the bottom becomes very strong )

The forum page

The orange blue looks heavy it's hard to focus on what's written in ech line
And when I of click it looking at it for a while and I clink here I was thinking my brightness setting messed up but no it is just because it's strong

Sorry it's absolutely not how I sound I am writing so extremely critical

You can see it is a quality web page good content
Just first impression is little dodgy content because usually advertisement is full on .. If it's just toned down minimised spaced out and the writing is differt size so u know right away what you are looking at .. but actually reading the words properly it all looks interesting

But I don't really know if that's what you mean my big apologies if I am totally of the track here

And so I don't understand .. what is the story with yourself and ID
edit on 17-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I feel the colors are great. They are warm and welcoming while being easy on the eyes. If you going to do a design change though, keep that Gene Roddenberry-ish sunrise concept, it is lovely. Only thing I recommended on the forum is maybe a change of font to give it a less bold and maybe more casual feel?? It comes off like super official to me. Kind of like I need to be showing up in a suit for a board meeting thing, if thats understandable.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Thanks.

To read up on the origins of Ignorance Denied, search the phrases here, find the rings, ftr, and a variety of others. We have a brief blurb on our About Us page.

For a complete list of every related page here on ATS, follow this link...

Back on topic though, we have had the current color scheme for a few years now. I wish to spruce it up, and as suggested, tone some of it down a bit.

We only run one advert on any page, and no adverts for anyone logged in. It helps a little to pay the bills. Very little I might add lol.

I am open to anyones idea's and am soliciting for feedback in several venues. Additionally I am doing some research on appropriate use of colors on successful websites.

I feel I need to move away from the darker background and over saturated colors splashed here and there.

But I feel feedback is very important on how ID is viewed upon, first impressions, likes and dislikes.

Keep it coming. You guys are awsome.
You are not going to hurt my feelings, nor will there be group hugs if you like it the way it is.

I wish to remain nuetral and unbiased concerning my desire for honest feedback.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

ID - so that's were my naughty banned friends probably are .. looking for a new home .. being on their best behaviour

This is really cool

Starting as just a strange set of posts at another popular website in 2004, becoming a game, and evolving into one of the weirdest most amazing and compelling contest experiences of any discussion board on the web. After a few mysterious posts and links began appearing at AboveTopSecret a "buzz" was forming about what it all meant. Then a strange website appeared called "Find The Rings". Eventually it was announced as a game. The game grew to span months and months of research, clues, trial and error. When the game ended, IgnoranceDenied.com was born.

Use this domain and discussion board to further these goals. Define a strategy for your topics and focus that is a companion of complimentary topics to the mother site, AboveTopSecret.com.

Ok I will continue this tomorrow

Just one quick thought

You know what as the hardest thing for me.. finding similar forums .. I stumbled upon ats by a random incident

I knew what I was looking for but what in the world do you type in Google to stumble upon these forums
I only found GLP I don't like it but try to search you will get forums the normal stuff .. Who thinks of the Google search "conspiracy forum"

I loved also that the joining was very simple .. my favorite part is the comment under the email privacy here

Ok I will do this properly soon sorry

edit on 18-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Choosing a web design and colour scheme is, of course, a very personal endeavour as even the most popular web sites vary in their designs.

In my opinion, having looked at both your sites, I would veer away from stark black background as I find it too hard on the eyes, so I would choose a tone that would soften the background and divert my interest elsewhere. So, if you wish to keep the orange and blue colours, then I would experiment with medium to medium-lighter grey or blue-grey tones for the background and print. The print may even venture into the medium-blue tones if the background is lightened up. I would also match the tonal values with the orange and print colors to make them stand out more, so there are more vibrant tones rather than saturated tones. After all, it is the print links that everyone will be looking at and clicking on...so make that stand out.

Here is an example of what I envision, although the trend example below is very subdued, you could punch the print up with a more vibrant tonal quality.

I can see why you are soliciting opinion as colors do play a part in evoking emotion. If you want to keep the black background then using attention-getting red, gold and strategically placed white will keep viewers from falling asleep. So, just break up the stark black more.

www.colourlovers.com...(version2)

Or, take it into the classic sepia realm.

www.colourlovers.com...

Latest web site colour trends.

www.colourlovers.com...

Why not have some colour wheel fun?

www.sessions.edu...
edit on 18-1-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Thank you all again.

Yes the registration path is very easy. I designed it to be very accommodating to the guest, as well as maintaining strict controls over spammers. It covers both worlds very effectively and efficient ly.

I have been reading up on the current psychology of colors and application. I hope to use everyones feedback to couple with standards and apply it to a new look.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I was all ready to swoop in and critique me some color(which is just oddly fun for me) but you've pretty much nailed the scheme! Kudos for making yellow/gold work on a web page! Not easy to do especially with lettering.

If you decide to tone down the gold, just do it the tiniest bit. I don't even think it's necessary really.
The only color that gets to me is the light blue of the registration bar. It kind of clashes, but it also pops, which is what you want it to do. Maybe try the same blue you use in the subforum titles? Or maybe that color, but just a little less saturated. I'm not sure.

One thing I would suggest is changing the font of the Wisdom quote on your front page. It's just a bit too flowery and for me anyway, invokes a religious tone.

Editing to add: I went into one of your forums and the red lettering doesn't work as well in there. I would change those to the blue you see on the forum header page.

Overall, great job though!

edit on 18-1-2016 by gottaknow because: additional information

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yes, the bluish registration is in call to action colors.

If one were to register, it would be the last time it would be used.

Similarly, the login button on the top right of any page, is in call to action colors.
edit on 18-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I quite like the colour scheme, it works quite well and there's a lot of contrast. The content is interesting, also, which is an obvious plus.

If I were to offer any critique it's simply that it looks dated, but a lot of folk like that retro look and for me, personally...it's preferable to the ubiquitous themes and layout we see on a regular basis.

A lot of this minimalist stuff, everyone has a slider or two...a lot of sites look kinda same-y nowadays and it's becoming more and more obvious...seems minimal is preferable but ATS is a shining example of how a content-rich site like ATS can still be aesthetically pleasing as well as highly interactive and functional.

If you really want to bring your site into the modern age I'd go for making it more responsive. This site is nice enough on my browser but not a smaller device. A few years ago it wasn't an issue but with phones and tablets being so prevalent it's probably more important these days than beautification.

We can edit a site style and colour quite easily, often times all we need to is edit a .css file or two, but to retrospectively make a site responsive can be a lot messier. I'd begin with that, make sure you've a solid, responsive framework and take it from there.

I always find that when I have a useable and well presented layout I can then begin to see how things will render and look. I like your site, I've actually stumbled on it by chance a couple of times which is a good sign - but you're probably losing a large chunk of your visitors because it's difficult to read or navigate on certain devices.

Andif you really want to know what colours I think work well...a bold orange and a nice pale/sky blue always sit well with me, especially against a white or gray background...something really neutral. If I'm writing something with a light and friendly feel that's an option I'll explore. You can chuck in varying grays, black, deeper blues and oranges work really well.

On a darker theme I was always a sucker for bold and vibrant blues and greens because it reminds me of terminal displays. Reminds me of the 80's, wargames, ncurses. Good for technical/computer based stuff.

But in all fairness I think if you're good with design you cantake most any 2 or 3 colours and really use them to your advantage. It's about contrast as much as anything - which Isee you have employed in your current colour scheme so I figure that somewhere inside you already know this :p

Hope this helps and if I can be of any assistance don't be shy.
edit on 18-1-2016 by HeathenJessie because: I made a steak

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thank you.

Aa responsive style is in the planning stage. Very high on the list.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

the site doesn't have the dark/light option like ats does it.. you have the previous versions there they are all completely different I like the current one the best

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

LoLo nonspecific

Ok feedback specifically on that link

I don't like the squares in the background
I don't like the thick orange lines

Ok basically

everything that is not important (number of post, time of post) is 3x bigger then the stuff that is important (thread title, user names, content of the post is the same size as the what I am assuming is signatures )

I can't tell what is written on the avatars, what part of forum I am in and how to reply

I also don't know why is there marks comment in nonspecifics post
I don't like the dots there

Is it different looking if you are a member ?

if no then I do like how ats has it .. unless u are joined in you see only the basic things

It needs to be more simple
It reminds me of old Microsoft stuff

I am so sorry I don't mean to be a biatch

edit on 19-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I don't know what platform is this or what they cost

This looks simple I like the blue and the orange slap a dark grey background on it

moodle.org...

just picture the replies going horizontal

(I am on my phone but I hope it looks the same on a computer)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

It is vbulletin 4.2.x

Heavily modified using TMS and a custom skin of my own.

And to add, same on pc or phone. No mobil skin.

Edit to add... oh, you mean your example site. My bad. Thought you meant mine lol.

edit on 19-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The incorrectly sized text is a result of bad phone renderings. Something on the list.

The dots above avatars, click on them. It reveals the hidden member info. Just keeps it clean unless you want to look at somebodies stuff.

No, thank you. I want all feedback. Bad feedback gives me good reason for change. And I dont mind honesty. Warm fuzzy words are not something I can improve on.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

It is vbulletin 4.2.x

Heavily modified using TMS and a custom skin of my own.

And to add, same on pc or phone. No mobil skin.

Edit to add... oh, you mean your example site. My bad. Thought you meant mine lol.

Actually first my example then I wanted to edit to ask yours

This says free vbulletin themes

www.mafiashare.net...

I like this .. but seriously I have no idea how you did it .. I got a massive headache just looking typing in Google search free forum platform

how much time do you spend weekly on it
so you look after the whole thing?

I really don't know what any of this means of if you can change or use any of it

but that's where I got the above from ..

are browsing vBulletin themes, scripts or graphics. Download vBulletin themes or graphics for free !

www.mafiashare.net...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yes I run the server, forum backend, and the modifications and skinning.

I actually enjoy it alot.

I use several premade modifications, although I often tweak them to my liking. Currently playing with a chatbox, but it is cumbersome and not really needed.

I do not use anything with mandatory copyright credits. Either I pay for the copyright removal, or dont use it.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
To add, we started on xmb just like ats back in the day. But xmb no longer is around and I wanted the best forum software available at the time.

I am on the site everyday, barring when ai go on vacation or something. It has been a labor of love for me. And I love it when someone else enjoys it. Plus I have made some great freinds over the years there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join