It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual Site Of Salem Witch Hangings Discovered

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This has quite a variety of pics, some ocean view, shops and museums.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

There's been all sorts of theories about what drove a fledgling colony to execute 19 women. Personally I never liked the 'poisoned ergot' theory, and felt it was more politically motivated.

Take this with a grain of salt... but according to my family legends, one of my great-grandmothers was married to one of Cotton Mather's aunts, and it was about property. Some of the accusers wanted the land of those they accused. Maybe not at first, but at some point? Like Increase Mather (Cotton Mather's father), my great-grandparents were horrified by the trials, wanted nothing to do with it or the family, and ended up leaving Massachusetts and going west. There was probably some kind of falling out first, because years later he went home to see his father, but the his father refused to see him. So my great-grandfather went back home, changed the spelling of their last name, and never looked back.

That's the story anyway. It would be interesting to research if that actually happened -- if any of the accusers acquired the properties of any of the convicted. I'm not sure how to do that yet, but I could probably figure it out!

ETA: I found this website with genealogies and property records. Some look pretty interesting.

17th Century Colonies of New England with Special Emphasis on the Essex County Witch-Hunt of 1692
edit on 17-1-2016 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Fantastic collage of Salem!
You showed the best parts of that great little town.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: Night Star

Fantastic collage of Salem!
You showed the best parts of that great little town.

Glad you enjoyed it! It really is an amazing place with so much to see and do.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
In light of the thread, I thought I would share this site -

Associated Daughters of Early American Witches

I have a many great+ grandmother who practiced in the Celtic religion. She was accused of being a witch in England and was forced to run away to America where she was again accused of being a witch in Newbury, Massachusetts. She was accused, tried, and convicted. However, before being executed, she was given an official 'pardon' and the verdict was reversed...

I have read stories about the Salem Witch Trials since I was a child. People fear things they don't understand... There are also greedy and corrupt people who will use that fear to their own personal gain.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Here is a picture of Proctor's Ledge, the confirmed location of the witch hangings.

They are going to construct a new memorial to the location in the summer.

Salem News (a site linked in the OP, updated)

If you want to walk on it, you better do it quick. I will bet they will cordon it off so that outsiders won't desecrate it with graffiti and take samples.

edit on 18-1-2016 by charlyv because: (content)

edit on 18-1-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

First S&F! Great thread.

There's been all sorts of theories about what drove a fledgling colony to execute 19 women. Personally I never liked the 'poisoned ergot' theory, and felt it was more politically motivated. They've already built a memorial at another location, but a small plaque at the actual hanging site might be appropriate.

I'm pretty sure it is a mixture of politics and people letting their fears get the better of them. I can see modern parallels between how the people of Salem reacted to the "witch" scare and many facets of American politics. Fear is a powerful tool and one must not let it rule you. This event in history is a testament to that fact.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I`ve always kind of thought what happened there was a combo of fear, hatred lack of education and some really bad blood among several families living in the area. I mean, people just don`t one day go crazy as an entire community and kill 19 women in such a manner.

Although, it`s very good they finally found the actual spot it happened. Maybe something special can be done to remember the women at that spot.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I know I haven't been the same since
Lol a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

top topics

<< 1   >>

join