It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is like a senior citizen, it has forgotten more than us infants will ever know.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: baglady333
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If the Earth has been here as long as science says it has and we have not as a civilization explored 90% of what is here, how can you say we are the only civilization that ever existed with such certainty? Seems a bit arrogant. Much like saying there is no possibility that there are other planets in the Universe without intelligent life.

Do you have any evidence that I am wrong? If so, we can discuss it. Otherwise, unexplored earth falls into the realm of "compounded ignorance". Or, in other words, "We don't know what it is that we are not aware of". That is a little beyond speculation.

I say it with certainty because of my understanding of math, of exponential growth, and of what it means biologically to be an "anatomically modern human".

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: forkedtongue

Because fossilized bones are not bones.

They are in fact rocks.

Over time the elements in the bones are leached out and replaced by the minerals in the surrounding strata.

Right.......and for this to happen the carcass has to be preserved, usually by being covered or submerged in some kind of sediment, mud or clay........it certainly doesn't happen if you drop the carcass into the ocean....

There's no reason why modern type artifacts wouldn't leave behind traces (if not fossils) if they were preserved like the fossils we find were preserved.

I know this might destroy your belief/fantasy in such ancient civilizations, but what we want to be true has no bearing on what actually is true.

Huh?

I don't believe there have been other advanced races min the past.

But I do leave the possibility open, because we very well may find some rare artifact that survived by chance.

It seems more likely you have a very entrenched view that we have to be the only advanced species in the long history of the planet.

We still find new things daily all over the world.

Because we have not turned over every stone, not even close to it.

So the possibility is still there.

Can you name any substance that is known to petrify or fossilize besides natural substances?

Because plastic and other man made substances haven't been shown to do so, in short, they won't leave fossils.

Therefore they will deteriorate and be lost completely in time.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue
Huh?

I don't believe there have been other advanced races min the past.

But I do leave the possibility open, because we very well may find some rare artifact that survived by chance.

Sure

But the evidence (or lack of) leaves the chances of that happening incredibly unlikely.

It seems more likely you have a very entrenched view that we have to be the only advanced species in the long history of the planet.

This is what the current evidence shows and there is no reason to suspect otherwise, apart from fanciful thinking.

We still find new things daily all over the world.

Because we have not turned over every stone, not even close to it.

So the possibility is still there.

Yep, its just the chances are very very unlikely.

Can you name any substance that is known to petrify or fossilize besides natural substances?

Because plastic and other man made substances haven't been shown to do so, in short, they won't leave fossils.
Therefore they will deteriorate and be lost completely in time.

This is untrue, plastic is an organic material specifically a hydrocarbon based material, and would leave a fossil given enough time and pressure. Anything that would leave an impression in soft mud like substances and exactly the right conditions would create a fossil...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join