It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Animal Ever to Walk the Earth Arrives in New York

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sounds like politics. ..

I for one am glad there are no 2 foot dragonfly's buzzing around. We might taste like chicken.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No, I made it up. Like the thunder lizard people did.

Edit: Actually when I was a kid they had little plastic dinosaur models, one was an Ichthyosaur; a long neck, small skull and flippers. Then they realized they were porpoises.

Another time they discovered the brontosaur skull was wrong, they found the bones all mixed up and put the skull of a different animal at the head.

That bout did it for me. Imo, they named and designed all theses "terrible lizards" over a hundred years ago, when they didn't know as much as they do today. Imo, me thinks they want to retain some of that lore when really some other of their 'creations' are just larger, older versions of familiar animals.
edit on 17-1-2016 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Number 8 on this list looks kinda dangerous.

listverse.com...

But then again the rest of the list is what nightmares are made of.

Edit;
Ya gotta admit that thunder lizard sounds better than big chichen. I'm pretty sure they were trying to sell tickets to see these things.
edit on 17-1-2016 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yah, you wouldn't want to be at the bottom of that ocean or in that dense jungle without some serious firepower.

Some critters are alive today still, Giganteum in the deep and their tiny counterparts on land.

For instance...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

High Temps and co2 helped plants thrive setting a chain reaction for everything to grow larger.

I'm not sure there's a connection between food availability and size. There were, after all, rather small dinosaurs as well.

But it's actually not clear that CO2 levels had much to do with plant growth before there were angiosperms, and when the sauropods were around they didn't have a lot of angiosperms to eat.
www.pnas.org...
edit on 1/17/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Is it possible that their genes hadn't evolved enough yet to simply stop growing? If life started all at once I'd imagine it took awhile for the predator prey relationship to take hold sparking changes in the animals evolution? We really don't know what kind of organs they had do we? I mean we just assume for the most part don't we?

edit on 17-1-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

If life started all at once I'd imagine it took awhile for the predator prey relationship to take hold sparking changes in the animals evolution?
Life did not start "all at once." Predator and prey evolved together and in the case of sauropods, over hundreds of millions of years.

edit on 1/17/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm hyperventilating. I need to get to New York City.

*Fan Girl Scream*

*Faints*

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Anyone else think the teeth do not look right..they dont look like herbivor teeth..then again Im not a paleontologist.
Cool stuff.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Of course life started all at once I didn't mean that all kinds of different creatures just popped up all at once but what we consider living had to have an originator, unless you are eluding that living things have always been? I understand that predator prey evolved together but what I was saying was in regards to the size, I have been taught in school that the large size was an evolutionary advantage as apparently most predators wouldn't attack the largest animals as they had weaker prey. I'm saying if this is true then they evolved really big and then evolved really small. Then I hear they were big because of co2. I mean do we really know alot about human evolution? Much less an ancient extinct range of animals? How do we really know if the evidence we have is always being re interpreted? I guess it would make sense if different creatures evolved differently, I dont know much about the subject so I have questions. Why do you think life didn't start at once? And no, we have talked before so I hope you don't take that question as a bearded man theory question.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting...

For example, there were no grasses in the Mesozoic, which are a major food source for herbivores, McNab said.

"How is it that dinosaurs got larger than mammals if the resources were either equal to or poorer than today? My argument is, it's because they took most of the energy they consumed and put it into growth rather than into maintenance of a high body temperature," he said.

LiveScience

I think that maybe, in the case of elephants, because elephants are warm blooded that they use all of their energy to stay warm rather than to grow?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'm a believer that atmosphere was denser back there minimizing the gravity effect on land animals and as solar winds wipe our atmosphere over time the animals get smaller and smaller.

Sunday make think like that
, still wonder how it taste though

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I guess I'm in a crude frame of mind. My first thought was that I would not want to be nearby when that thing farted.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Five different videos about the Titanosaurs found in Argentina...

I believe the first four are strictly about this new unnamed Titanosaur but the last video also contains CGI animation of the Dreadnoughtus schrani, a totally different specie of Titanosaur previously discovered in Argentina in 2005 .

edit on 18-1-2016 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join