It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synchronicity; Apophenia and the 11:11 fallacy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

You are not taking into account the fact you have apparently perfected a technique of tossing this coin which makes the result more predictable. The probability of the coin landing in a particular sequence is influenced by how you toss it, according to this example. (If what you are claiming is in fact true)

Did you always start the toss with a particular side facing up, before the toss? Did you toss it with the edge of your thumb or thumb nail? How long did you practice tossing until you were able to train yourself to do it?

This is like a card trick where a magician can also find your card despite it appearing to contradict probability. A magician rigs the deck in such a way as to guarantee selection of the right card,in the same way you have rigged the toss of coin through training to always land in your desired sequence.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

However I hold to the old adage that there is more under heaven then your philosophy allows Horatio. At least, it goes something like that.

As do I. You beat me to it...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Again, this topic is not concerned with philosophy, and to claim beliefs based on logical fallacies have merit because "we don't know everything" is akin to making an appeal to ignorance, and borders on special pleading.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: spygeek

Are you claiming your conscious desire to see a specific number caused the number to appear? Superstitious belief in numerology is not a rational basis for claiming this event was anything other than simple coincidence. Had you not been exposed to the concept of the "number of the beast" and accepted it's claimed significance, this event would have meant nothing to you.

Seeing as you openly admit subscribing to such pseudosciences as astrology and numerology, it is not surprising that you found yourself attaching supernatural significance to this mundane event.

It is no secret that I am well into the esoteric philosophy. It brings tangible results into my life.

I cannot help it if I break the laws of science and can engineer my life with my will. Yes I do claim that I made the number appear and I can do more interesting things than that. Peolpe will always use the word "fluke" when I make things happen. Should I worry about it . Of course not.

You made a good OP; most of it is quite valid but there are exceptions to the rule that you do not accept.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

You are not taking into account the fact you have apparently perfected a technique of tossing this coin which makes the result more predictable. The probability of the coin landing in a particular sequence is influenced by how you toss it, according to this example. (If what you are claiming is in fact true)

Did you always start the toss with a particular side facing up, before the toss? Did you toss it with the edge of your thumb or thumb nail? How long did you practice tossing until you were able to train yourself to do it?

This is like a card trick where a magician can also find your card despite it appearing to contradict probability. A magician rigs the deck in such a way as to guarantee selection of the right card,in the same way you have rigged the toss of coin through training to always land in your desired sequence.

Not quite. What meant when I said "trained myself" was that I trained my will. It did not matter how the coin was thrown .

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You are correct, I do not accept your claims. If You can reproduce these results in a controlled environment I would be willing to entertain the idea, until then I'm entirely unconvinced.

Also, it is not the laws of science you are claiming to have broken, it is the laws of nature itself. All I can see so far from your story is the manufacturing of a supernatural ability to explain a perfectly ordinary coincidence.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Again, you are ruling out natural explanations in favour of a supernatural super power. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Film yourself performing this feat repeatedly without exception, and show me.
edit on 16-1-2016 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

You are correct, I do not accept your claims. If You can reproduce these results in a controlled environment I would be willing to entertain the idea, until then I'm entirely unconvinced.

Also, it is not the laws of science you are claiming to have broken, it is the laws of nature itself. All I can see so far from your story is the manufacturing of a supernatural ability to explain a perfectly ordinary coincidence.

I can reproduce the results in controlled environment but what would it prove ? Other have done such tests successfully before.

No, I cannot break the universal law. I use it for my own ends and in the process break scientific laws.

I agree with a lot of what you said in the OP , especially the subconscious playing tricks. I just feel that I should explain that there are exceptions.

Another real life coincidence. I accidentally met a girl in a city phone shop when buying a mobile phone (cell phone if your are american). She fitted my idea of the perfect woman and there was a lot of chemistry when we were discussing the purchase. A week later I find that she is my housemate in the new accomodation I moved in. That was a long time ago when I had just started work and did not own properties (now I own several).

Another case of coincidence. I was very keen on a female musician who was very famous. I bought her videos and watched many times and bought all her CDs and played every day in my car. She was as a goddess to me. Then A few week later , she became a client in my firm and I had to look after her affairs. Then a week later, I met my wife who is the spitting image of that musician/singer.

I can go on with over 100 cases. The point is that they are all will-generated and sometimes happen in synchronicity.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Again, you are ruling out natural explanations in favour of a supernatural super power. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Not supernatural power. I would be happier if everyone use the power that they have within them . That is all I am doing. Just because it defies Science does not mean I should stop.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

Not supernatural power. I would be happier if everyone use the power that they have within them . That is all I am doing. Just because it defies Science does not mean it is supernatural.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I had not done this experiment for more that 10 years. I just went over to my bedroom and picked up a coin from my jacket and threw it three times. It came out Head, Head , Tail. The second time it fell on the bed and bounced on the floor and the result was Head.

Perhaps , I should not be surprised. In the last ten years , I have raised the level of my consciousness to a point where it seems to inter-act with something higher.
edit on 16-1-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

where's the video? please share footage of yourself performing this feat repeatedly for our appraisal or stop posting this offtopic nonsense.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Fist coincidence (or supposed synchronicity).

2:48pm, 17/01/2016 (51 minutes ago)

I drove my partner down to the local mall, and waited in the car while she went and bought her stuff.

As I was sitting in the car, replying to posts on this thread on my phone, this car pulled into the space next to me. I noticed the number plate, "ATS938". It didn't contain my chosen special number sequence so I immediately discounted it, although I found the ATS part amusing. I then glanced at the clock, and, funnily enough, it was 2:48pm, the inverse of my 842 sequence.

I snapped a pic for you guys:

Am I suggesting this is indicative of anything more than random coincidence? Nope.
Will others jump on this and claim otherwise? Guaranteed.

edit on 16-1-2016 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

where's the video? please share footage of yourself performing this feat repeatedly for our appraisal or stop posting this offtopic nonsense.

Off topic ? I just posted two coincidences worth discussing. CHeck my post with the housemate and the celebrity musician.

If by off topic you mean the coin, remember it is you who brought in the subject of probability.

You know full well that a video of me throwing the coin will not be acceptable. I will be accused of editing the video.

I will end my contribution by referring to what my old boss said to me once when I was in my first job. He told me not to feel too sorry for the poor because their circumstances are of their own making. Whilst I disagree with that statement , it does hold true for those who walk away from life-changing opportunities. One of which is to take on board the concept that you can change your circumstances quite easily by shaping the unknown.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

Off topic ? I just posted two coincidences worth discussing. CHeck my post with the housemate and the celebrity musician.

If by off topic you mean the coin, remember it is you who brought in the subject of probability.

You know full well that a video of me throwing the coin will not be acceptable. I will be accused of editing the video.

I will end my contribution by referring to what my old boss said to me once when I was in my first job. He told me not to feel too sorry for the poor because their circumstances are of their own making. Whilst I disagree with that statement , it does hold true for those who walk away from life-changing opportunities.

A video would at least lend a micro-gram of credibility to your claims.
Your claims are off topic because they are not relevant to synchronicity, they are about manifesting events in your life through the power of will alone, and you claim the events are not coincidental.

There are no life-changing opportunitues to be lost by my doubting the things you claim. Until you are willing to go about about proving these claims properly, they are meaningless. Start a thread about it and show me.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I find this whole "will it and it will happen" stuff absolutely rubbish (being polite with my language).

How many people have "willed" they win the lottery without buying a ticket, get given something like a big nice car, not to have a hangover and so many other things?

Now how many of them have come true?
edit on 164916/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

100%

Every person who has won a lottery thought that they would do so. Either that or they just like throwing money away.

edit on 1/16/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TerryDon79

100%

Every person who has won a lottery thought that they would do so. Either that or they just like throwing money away.

Yeah I know. I edited my post to show what I actually meant. It's 2.50am here and brain just stopped working for a few seconds lol

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

The approach to life that you matter of factly label 'magical' is not 'magical at all. It is an approach to life that allows for that which is beyond the 'buttoned down', 'it's all random occurance in an otherwise material and nothing more existence.

I was referring to the logical fallacy of "magical thinking" (check the link for the definition), which is heavily relied upon in the synchronistic approach to life I wasn't suggesting the approach itself is magical.

So yes, I support your understanding that much of this phenomenon can be understood in the manner in which you and many others understand it. However I hold to the old adage that there is more under heaven then your philosophy allows Horatio. At least, it goes something like that.

This isn't about philosophy, it's about known psychological processes and failures in logic that lead to imagined metaphysical concepts, independent of reality.

Yes spy. I understand the use of the term 'magical thinking' and agree that though the term relies on a tongue in cheek denunciation of other than straight forward scientific approaches to phenomena. My point though is that use of that term is and of itself a biased reference which can easily contaminate an unbiased exploration of this issue.

And again I think you are correct that any interest in these type of phenomena need to be closely considered in light of these psychological processes. However, adventuring into a study of this phenomena will be a fruitless project if it is determined before hand to be complete horseradish. What you term horseradish is to others 'faith' and it may be that this process that can be called 'faith' is exactly what may be needed to understand that some of this phenomena is indeed dependent upon a fuller openness to reality which is not available to our meager physical senses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join