It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows 45 Percent Increase in Death by Law Enforcement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
www.fau.edu...

An FAU analyses of nationwide data on individuals who were killed as a result of legal intervention or law enforcement in the U.S. between 1999 and 2013, shows a 45 percent increase mostly among non-whites.

Results from this report show:

During this 15-year period, there was a 45 percent net increase in deaths from legal intervention.

96 percent of these deaths occurred among men, of which 78 percent occurred between ages 15 and 44 years.

In men ages 15 to 44 years, American Indians or Alaska Natives (whose numbers were small) had the highest rates of death from legal intervention, but blacks and African Americans, and white Hispanics or Latinos all had rates that were significantly higher than those experienced by non-Hispanic whites and Asians or Pacific Islanders.

There were extensive variations in states and counties with reliable rates:

In terms of urbanization, the highest mortality rate for non-Hispanic Black and African American men ages 15 to 44 years was in large central metropolitan areas, while the lowest occurred in non-core, non-metro rural areas.

The highest rate for non-Hispanic black men occurred in Nevada, while the lowest rate was in North Carolina.

New Mexico had the highest rate for both Hispanic and non-Hispanic white men.

The lowest rate for Hispanic and non-Hispanic white men was in New York.

The highest rate for blacks and African American men occurred in Riverside County, Calif., with the lowest rate occurring in Kings County (Brooklyn), N.Y.

For Hispanic white men, the highest rate occurred in Denver, Colo., and the lowest rate was in Los Angeles, Calif.

For non-Hispanic white men, the highest rate was in San Bernardino, CA, and the lowest rate was in Los Angeles, Calif.

Data from this study were obtained from the Compressed Mortality File (CMF) administered by the Office of Analysis, Epidemiology, and Health Promotion of the National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Internet-based CDC WONDER, a wide-ranging online data epidemiologic research system.

Damn, American Indians/Alaska Natives have the highest rate of death? That's tragic. They need their own movement. Maybe BLM can reach out?

This is why BLM is so aggressive and upset. It really should be no secret that police abuse against the black community runs rampant all throughout the country yet some people disagree with that notion despite all the evidence to the contrary. Well to them I say, read this study and tell us there's no abuse.

Also, to quell those who would say illegal Latino immigrants were to blame.

Data compiled for the report included annual national, regional, state, and county-level information on the underlying cause of death as stated on the death certificate according to age, gender, race, and cause for all legal residents. These data did not pertain to illegal immigrants. In the report, the researchers were able to describe mortality from legal intervention in the U.S. from 1999 to 2013 by time, person and place.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This comes to mind: "Yes, we wave this flag of hatred, but your the ones who made it."

Just as not all politicians are "crooked and corrupt," not all cops are "bad cops," albeit not the best metaphor... almost all politicians are corrupt.

As with U.N. Reports of police abuse, and having instances of local police abuse (disabled veterans, an entire PD being dismantled due to negligence in a hostage situation resulting in multiple deaths), there is absolutely no question in my mind if there is a problem with police abuse.

With that said - it certainly doesn't help the cause when instigating things - I personally have had no problems with law enforcement - some of the instances, and albeit usually cherry-picked, are truly disturbing.

Beyond the "cop," label I believe it is something deeper, it's not that "cops are bad," we need to look at the human being behind the badge, for it seems like it's becoming acceptable to act with no regard for the law - whilst being a "law enforcer."

Case and point? Destroying surveillance cameras, consuming illegal drugs (w/o prescription), while possessing a firearm, then getting behind the wheel of a vehicle, then complaining about the camera they missed recording them as a "violation of their privacy." And the icing on this golden turd, a LEO tell a disabled woman in a legally-operating medical business, "I wanted to kick her in her ^%*^#^+ nub!"

Again - I've had no problem with law enforcement, and I don't plan on it. With that said, the education/training needed to be a medical practioner consists of many hoops and leaps, yet something as dangerous and high-risk such as becoming a police officer involve what sorts of formal education, again?

Becoming a plumber is a more lengthy process than becoming a police officer, something about that just seems "off" to me.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

You forgot to add the words 'In America' to your title. I feel it's important as a reflection of influence in the world today.

The whole issue of U.S. public servants that are out of control (or primed) is obviously becoming more of an issue. That part of the modern world which is forcing it's grip on it's population under the gun and under the control of those that seek to enforce a one world government is obviously still stuck in the wild west where ignorants shoot a gun at those who they fear, apparently with prejudice.

From this European's perspective, those that have such aggression and ignorance towards the world around them have no place in it other than their own back yard. Most of us, I hope, are a little more civilised, but perhaps the day will come when enough of these pumped up bullies are let loose on this ball of dirt and we all have to suffer the same fate unless we stand in line and submit to the same ignorance.

Or is that already happening??????

ALL BULLIES MUST DIE! (metaphorical).

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
If this doesn't become the number one issue in America this week there is something seriously wrong with the people. No more conspiracy theories needed, chem trails, fluoride, vaccines, wifi, whatever, there is something really damaged with Americans if this doesn't become the number one issue this week.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad
If this doesn't become the number one issue in America this week there is something seriously wrong with the people. No more conspiracy theories needed, chem trails, fluoride, vaccines, wifi, whatever, there is something really damaged with Americans if this doesn't become the number one issue this week.

People simply do not care unless it affects them personally....i would not be holding my breath....

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
People simply do not care unless it affects them personally....i would not be holding my breath....

You obviously skipped my post and ignored my comments didn't you? Please re-read.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Police uniforms are increasingly looking more and more like military.
Ditto for weapons platforms.
Many hired on as cops since 2000 have been - returning vets.
Combine the above and you get the US vs THEM mentality - this is war.

What's missing from your above figures is the number of police interactions with any of the listed groups.
You could probably pull up conviction rates by race and pull out similar numbers.
I don't think cops shoot anyone because of the race but because of poor/incorrect training and the lack of external investigations in to police-related shootings.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Police uniforms are increasingly looking more and more like military.
Ditto for weapons platforms.
Many hired on as cops since 2000 have been - returning vets.
Combine the above and you get the US vs THEM mentality - this is war.

What's missing from your above figures is the number of police interactions with any of the listed groups.
You could probably pull up conviction rates by race and pull out similar numbers.
I don't think cops shoot anyone because of the race but because of poor/incorrect training and the lack of external investigations in to police-related shootings.

I think you hit the nail on the head. There are many contributing factors when it comes to the transformation of the police culture in America. A large % of officers are vets/ex-military, their equipment is becoming more and more militaristic (which brings out their military training in their dealings with the public), and lack of training in dealing with stress/external pressures/resolving issues without violence.

The people committing the crimes are not any crazier than in the past, I think it's just lack of training and lack of patience by the police. Instead of taking the time to resolve an issue peacefully, they tend to rush right to using force in order to end confrontation quickly. What is there to gain from that?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

This subject could fall under being a split infinitive and/or an oxymoron.

Yes, police have been militarized.
Yes, police are far, far more aggressive than ever in this nation's history.

However...

Street crime is running rampage.
While law abiding citizens are being targeted to be disarmed, violent criminals are basically being ignored.

The outcome?

Roughly half the population blaming police brutality and the other half, blaming those who are rough-shodding their desires by simply doing whatever they want.

Of course, politics is one of the main players; indoctrinating us to seek divisions rather than common solutions... to turn anger and animosity upon those whom we feel don't immediately blend with our viewpoints. This is something that, personally, I hope is eventually overcome or... the problem will likely never be solved.

Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century...

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

Of course, politics is one of the main players; indoctrinating us to seek divisions rather than common solutions... to turn anger and animosity upon those whom we feel don't immediately blend with our viewpoints. This is something that, personally, I hope is eventually overcome or... the problem will likely never be solved.

I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately both parties are guilty of this, and it really is unfortunate for their American people. This is not how our political system was supposed to work (although I think it's safe to say that something like this would become inevitable, especially in a capitalistic society).

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Cops are evil oppressors, they don't even really care about their jobs, they just want to oppress minorities. In my town they don't even tell you that you're under arrest, they just start shooting at you.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

First of all native American death rates are skewed by their small numbers.

Second imagine being one of these cops in the worst parts of town constantly being ridiculed, disrespected, and threatened just for trying to do their job. Sure sometimes they can get excessive but when you have some thug who thinks he is above the law and refuses to cooperate and the cop doesn't know if he armed or not (most likely is). What choice does the cop have at that point but to use force. It is kill or be killed on the streets this goes for cops and criminals alike.

You say you have never had problems with cops,well neither have i because I am always respectful and cooperative.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: GOrwell

Or maybe the minorities make up the majority of the criminals and the cops have gotten sick of being ridiculed and threatened by some punk ass kids just for trying to do their jobs.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

The real problem here is complete disrespect for the law and lack of cooperation. Minorities are not targeted because of the color of their skin, but are targeted because they make up the majority of the criminals in any given area.

Also to note every single police brutality video I've seen usually starts off with the perp being disrespectful and not cooperating.
At that point the officers have no choice but to use force. Especially considering the officers don't know if the perp is armed or not. (Good chance they are)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Or maybe they are working in some of the worst areas in any given town. Where most citizens are armed,illegally I might add, have no respect for the law, and it is kill or be killed. It's not like this stuff happens just anywhere.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

It's more like crime and utter disrespect for the law is running rampant.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I can't believe you found a stat for that.
If you set out looking for that and found it,
then you get god status for a day.

I suppose a counter argument would look something like.

Wouldn't it be great if society could just use hired guns like
these guys.

But society is full of to many mean and nasties so of
course the police have to kill some of us.

That way gun violence goes up just as well.

edit on Ram11616v32201600000043 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver
a reply to: charolais

The real problem here is complete disrespect for the law and lack of cooperation. Minorities are not targeted because of the color of their skin, but are targeted because they make up the majority of the criminals in any given area.

Also to note every single police brutality video I've seen usually starts off with the perp being disrespectful and not cooperating.
At that point the officers have no choice but to use force. Especially considering the officers don't know if the perp is armed or not. (Good chance they are)

You actually made my point quite well... they don't need to resort directly to force. The lack of patience and lack of skills and jumping right to violence is a problem. They are like bullies who can't talk their way out of something, they instead punch someone.

Also, the fact that they are being disrespectful does not trump constitutional rights.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's funny m you mention BLM.

You would think that they would come out in support of the people in Oregon who are also claiming to fight government corruption.

Apparently they aren't violent enough for them.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I think it's both, poor training and racism. Poor training leads to fear and poor judgement. Now, obviously not all cops are bad but there are bad cops and from what we've all seen is the all cops (and prosecutors) protect each other.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join