It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could recommend just ONE book or book series...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Great resource for any bookworm:

www.goodreads.com...
edit on 1/15/2016 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Red rising, the 3rd book comes out feb9

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Nice thread, I will list my five ( 21 ) favorites..

1.. His dark materials- Philip Pullman ( 3 Book series No 2 My favorite, The subtle knife. Great writing )

2. The Hyddenworld series - William horwood ( 4 Book series )

3. Earth Books Series - Jean m Auel ( 6 Book series, 1st The Clan of the cave bear, an epic woman's journey )

4. Odd Thomas Series - Dean Koontz ( 6 Book Series, Most dean Koontz books are worth a read Spooky ? Horror ish )

5. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy ( Indian real life Epic ) If Liked, A "Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth is special also ..
edit on 16 1 2016 by skywatcher44 because: Added

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I've had a think now and looked at my library.

You can't go wrong with David McCullough or Umberto Eco.

If you pick Eco, especially if you get his The Name of the Rose, and you don't know Latin, make sure you have a Latin dictionary handy.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I recomend the MythAdventures series

Myth Adventures

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44
3. Earth Books Series - Jean m Auel ( 6 Book series, 1st The Clan of the cave bear, an epic woman's journey )

Yes!!
I was going to recommend that series too.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Give this one a try. In a decade or two, get back to me on what you think:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
If we are really getting into most favourite book ever it would have to be Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton I was introduced to them at age 7 by my big sister. She gave me my love of bokks. I loved ałl the lands at the top of the tree and going to Moon Faces house for popping biscuits then ending the day going diwn the big slide that went through the tree.

Ive had the pleasure of revisiting them with my 8 year old son but in this world of xbox and Mjnecraft he doesnt seem as enthralled lol.

So if you want to revisit your inner child I would recommend these books!

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Thomas Hardy - Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

If you like sci-fi, I'd read the Perelandra series by C.S. Lewis. Those books are... amazing. Absolutely amazing.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
One book I won't let go of Fields of fire James Webb a Vietnam war story how men adapt and change a great read

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This may not be from your usual genre but if you are interested in reading a gun culture / politics / anti-government book I recommend Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Really shows how America shaped the image of gun control and gun culture via legislative actions and also includes a lot of historical events.

www.amazon.com...

As I said on page 1, I also suggest Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

The ironic part is that these two books would typically be read by people on the complete opposite side of the political/cultural continuum in America. That's the fun part

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher. All of them, from start to finish.

Ready? Set! GO!

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If you're into fantasy, you will enjoy The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. The first book of the trilogy is called The Name of the Wind and the third book is still in the making...

I can't recommend these enough. Just thank me later

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

After Orwell and Huxley, you should try some Philip K Dick. I would suggest the lesser known A Maze of Death.

Dick explores the theme of virtual vs real reality in most of his works. He also looks at the human root behind the creative process of creating religions. His book The Man in the High Castle won him the Hugo award, and there is a Mini-serial on amazon that captures the main themes of the novel, but they did take major liberties with the plot.

A ton of his books have become movies:

Blade Runner - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Minority Report - Same
Total Recall - We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
Screamers - Second Variety
and many more.

The books and stories are IMHO way better than any of the movies, but I thought it would give you an Idea of the kind of fiction he is working in.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Everything by Brandon Sanderson.Even if it's not your favourite genre.

Terry Pratchett.Just read them.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Pheonix Rising by Mary Summer Rain, she's one of my favorite authors.
It's the documentation of an old Native American woman's prophecy of the things the world needs to see before we heal. But the ultimate message is that we do heal. It's eerie how much has already happened.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George RR Martin. Hopefully the next book, The Winds Of Winter, is released sometime this year. GRRM said it would not be out before the next season of Game of Thrones, and that is disappointing.

I have 3 sets of each book, one for the book shelf and the others I have read. Many of the pages of the first set were falling out and the books are covered in high liters and notes. Picked up another set for the re-reads and all hardbacks for the bookshelf. My husband doesn't understand, lol.

If you like historical fiction, Katherine by Anna Seton is a good read.

The Welsh Princes series by Sharon Kay Penman is one of my favorites, it's a 3 book series, Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I too highly recommend Jean M Auel's Earth's Children book series !

You'll get completely sucked into the paleolithic world of cro-magnons and neanderthals, and what it might have been like living during that time.

Jean M Auel spent the majority of her adult life studying archeology and anthropology for the specific purpose of writing these books, so you get a neverending glimpse into historical accuracies and anthropological theories of how they may have lived, survived, and interacted.

The books are a great combination of fantasy and reality all rolled up into a nice long story following the life and travels of the main female character named "Ayla".

1 - Clan of the Cave Bear
2 - Valley of the Horses
3 - The Mammoth Hunters
4 - The Plains of Passage
5 - The Shelters of Stone
6 - The Land of Painted Caves

I've always wished these books would get turned into several epic movies or, better yet, a long tv series... so long as they did the books justice and stayed close to the storyline.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Have you ever read Neanderthal by John Darnton? It's a natural progression if you haven't.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

No, I've never heard of it.

I'll have to check it out, thanks !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join