It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday Now? Global Selloff on China Worries, Oil Plunge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

LOL!!!!

"Happy birthday Hillary Clinton.

When asked what her favorite gift was, she said... Donald Trump"

Jimmy Fallon

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yes.

At first I Just gave it a quick glance, so I was not looking at all the content. LOL!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

So Gas, and China are scaring everyone. And this could hurt the US ecomny.

Which right now is very stable.

Is this correct.?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Meh...stock markets crash; yet they always come back stronger than before. If it does not happen to rebound this time, then we are all going to be in the same boat; broke...yet, food will still be produced, the human species will survive and the world will keep turning.

It takes YEARS for the market to recover. However, some PEOPLE never recover their financial losses. If your whole existence is money and fortune, it can be unrecoverable.

That's a good reason to change your focus! For myself, very poor financially, this whole thing is like watching a movie of something happening on another planet. Maybe long term I might feel some effects, I doubt it but don't know. I can easily manage many Black Fridays in my little bubble.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Now is the perfect time to buy, buy, buy.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Meh...stock markets crash; yet they always come back stronger than before. If it does not happen to rebound this time, then we are all going to be in the same boat; broke...yet, food will still be produced, the human species will survive and the world will keep turning.

It takes YEARS for the market to recover. However, some PEOPLE never recover their financial losses. If your whole existence is money and fortune, it can be unrecoverable.

That's a good reason to change your focus! For myself, very poor financially, this whole thing is like watching a movie of something happening on another planet. Maybe long term I might feel some effects, I doubt it but don't know. I can easily manage many Black Fridays in my little bubble.

Only people who don't recover are those who take too many risks. Everyday investors should just be buying the market whether is is up or down - dollar cost averaging. Typical investors sell when things are down and buy at the highs which is the complete opposite of what you are supposed to be doing. Over a life time, the market will always provide a nice return. Consistency is the key.

As you get older, you move to less volatile investments like bonds, etc since you typically don't want to deal with market volatility when you are trying to live off your assets.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

And if everything keeps going down, down, down ....

You can wave Bye, Bye, Bye to your money

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It is a paper loss. You haven't lost money until you sell. You buy and hold. You don't put funds that you need immediately into the market. People who were buying back in 2001 and 2008 when market imploded are doing well. Only the idiots sold.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Bet you anything Warren Buffet shorted a lot of his stocks knowing what was going to be happening in the markets and is now making a killing off of it!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

So basically, WalMart is opening more stores than they are closing, thus increasing the number of stores, and adding construction and store-assembly/finishing jobs. Sounds awful! Thanks for clearing that up, though it appears everyone stops thinking at the initial "bad news" glance.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
DOW is down almost 500 points today, that must be a record if it holds till close

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
-492 now.
edit on 15-1-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

It is a paper loss. You haven't lost money until you sell. You buy and hold. You don't put funds that you need immediately into the market. People who were buying back in 2001 and 2008 when market imploded are doing well. Only the idiots sold.

For some reason, people just can't make the connection. I've known people in their 20's who closed out their 401(k)'s after the 2001 crash because they "didn't want to lose anymore money." They hadn't lost a single share, and were nowhere near retirement. I increased my contributions, getting more shares per dollar, and those, along with all of my older shares, made a REALLY nice return for me.

Unless people are close to retirement, they should celebrate all market turns, especially downturns. Money doesn't disappear, it just changes hands.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just hit -500

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: Edumakated

For some reason, people just can't make the connection. I've known people in their 20's who closed out their 401(k)'s after the 2001 crash because they "didn't want to lose anymore money." They hadn't lost a single share, and were nowhere near retirement. I increased my contributions, getting more shares per dollar, and those, along with all of my older shares, made a REALLY nice return for me.

Unless people are close to retirement, they should celebrate all market turns, especially downturns. Money doesn't disappear, it just changes hands.

The biggest problem our economy faces is financial illiteracy. This is why the average investor gets killed in the market. They are irrational. They sell when the market is falling and buy at the highs. Always a day late and a dollar short.

I work in real estate and when the market crashed, all kinds of people were sitting on the sidelines afraid values would fall more instead of just buying up distressed properties. These same people rush into the market when they see the headlines saying how much money was made in real estate after the smart money has long sold after buying when blood was in the streets.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Thought it'd be an appropriate song for today. . . . .
edit on 15-1-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
OK, so right now the Dow Jones is down 500 points....
I just checked the stock price of the 30 companies that make the DJ and their value is ok....
some are even up.... so what's going on ????

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

So basically, WalMart is opening more stores than they are closing, thus increasing the number of stores, and adding construction and store-assembly/finishing jobs. Sounds awful! Thanks for clearing that up, though it appears everyone stops thinking at the initial "bad news" glance.

But they're laying off 16,000 PEOPLE. That's a lot, and I don't hear mention of hiring figures. It takes a year or two to get a new store opened. Things could change by then. It sounds like they're only opening stores in highly populated areas that can easily support an additional Walmart.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

History is the greatest predictor of future behavior. The markets go down, then they come up. Look at the last 100 years or so.

I would say that if someone is nearing retirement, they would have to be more cautious.... but for people in the middle of their career, buying now is a good bet (for long established stocks).

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

But they're laying off 16,000 PEOPLE. That's a lot, and I don't hear mention of hiring figures. It takes a year or two to get a new store opened. Things could change by then. It sounds like they're only opening stores in highly populated areas that can easily support an additional Walmart.

They plan to have about 115-140 new stores in January 2017. But what is telling is that they plan on opening 200-240 stores OVERSEAS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join