It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's first video on his new video site - basically calls for One World Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is the new venture from the pope's The Apostleship of Prayer, a monthly video. The first one has just been published, he basically calls for a one world religion. Sorry to say folks, you can no longer use the old rhetorical question "is the pope Catholic" to mean "yes", because this pope aint Catholic.

You can wath it at the new site or on youtube
thepopevideo.org...

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

I like it.
He is just asking for dialog and understanding between all the religions.
It is a good message pity not many will listen and continue hating others because of their religion.
Interfaith churches have been around for a while now they help understanding of all religions.
edit on 15-1-2016 by Ashamedandsad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Do you talk about this:

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- In his first video prayer message of the year, Pope Francis asked people to join him in praying that interreligious dialogue lead to "peace and justice." The video message was part of a prayer initiative coordinated by the international Apostleship of Prayer, a Jesuit-run outreach that has given Catholics the pope's monthly prayer intentions since 1890.
In the video, the pope called for dialogue among religions and asked that people "not stop praying for it and collaborating with those who think differently." "Many think differently, feel differently, they seek God or meet God in different ways. In this crowd, in this range of religions, there is only one certainty we have for all: We are all children of God," the pope said.
Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Catholic religious leaders were also featured in the video, first declaring their personal beliefs followed by each one declaring: "I believe in love." "I hope you will spread my prayer request this month," the pope said. "That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice. I trust in your prayers."
Pope Francis will deliver his monthly prayer intentions on video over social media in Spanish with subtitles in 10 languages throughout the Holy Year of Mercy.
?
catholicnews

I am for the first time proud to say I am catholic and it is because of this pope. And while I am happy you shared it, would you please explain what this

Sorry to say folks, you can no longer use the old rhetorical question "is the pope Catholic" to mean "yes", because this pope aint Catholic.

is supposed to mean? Catholics believe in Jesus messages and wasn't he the one who said "Love your neighbour"? It is very catholic, if you ask me.

edit on 15-1-2016 by Peeple because: spacebar

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
One World Government
One World Court System
One World Religion

Brought to you by the great folks at the UN
The unholy trinity

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I have only two words for his Popeness...
SCREW THAT!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I dont think he's calling for One World Religion. I think he is calling for peace among all the Religions.

I'm not Religious myself but I think he is sending a great message to those who believe in different Faiths to understand that there really is only one God and they should all just accept it.

Whether it will bring about World peace? I doubt it very much.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
He doesn't quite call for one world religion.
He just hovers on the boundary line of doing so.
He says that the believers in different religions are "all chidren of God". Paul says the same thing in Athens.
He subliminally offers the idea that they are worshipping the same God, but doesn't quite say so. Though the request that they all pray for peace certainly implies that their prayers will be heard by the same God.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The part where the believers of other religions bring their symbols together shows more than just dialogue regarding getting along and agreeing to disagree, it shows syncretism.

However Francis may not have had full control over the editing of the video that interspersed his message.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Sorry to say folks, you can no longer use the old rhetorical question "is the pope Catholic" to mean "yes", because this pope aint Catholic.

is supposed to mean? Catholics believe in Jesus messages and wasn't he the one who said "Love your neighbour"? It is very catholic, if you ask me.

According to the Catholic church, there is no other religion or way to be acceptable to God but to be in communion with the Catholic church. This also means other Christian denominations. According to Catholic doctrine anyway who is not a Catholic is going to hell. If this man was a Catholic he would be upholding Catholic doctrine.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I dont think he's calling for One World Religion. I think he is calling for peace among all the Religions.

I'm not Religious myself but I think he is sending a great message to those who believe in different Faiths to understand that there really is only one God and they should all just accept it.

If you think the Pope is Religious and 'FOR' the People of Planet Earth then you're more 'f'd up than he is. Forgive me but metaphorically what his popeness is saying is buggered up royally..... forcing people to agree with any religion is SH'T. ... NO JUST NO. No one who is unreligious is going to suddenly become religious because some arrogant pope pretending to love humanity thinks so. The track record of any frigging religion is a FAIL period~!

I'm having an EVERLAST day so i'm going to post this whether or not you or anyone likes it.
edit on 1/15/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I thought the goal of all religions was to have one world religion? Theirs.
edit on 15-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Perhaps said pope should read a little Eckhart who says that all prayer is born of desire and is movement away from God.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Though the request that they all pray for peace certainly implies that their prayers will be heard by the same God.

How can they be heard by the same god, when the prayers are in different languages.
You think I'm joking - think of the different gods that have been around through cultures throughout time.
By our language and our culture we define what god is like. God made in our image, depending on where and when you come from.
edit on 15-1-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: spelllllling

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
" Though the request that they all pray for peace certainly implies that their prayers will be heard by the same God."
How can they be heard by the same god, when the prayers are in different languages.

Firstly, "heard by the same God" wasn't being offered as my own view.
I was teasing out the implications of what the Pope was saying.

However, a Creator God would certainly be capable of hearing prayers in different languages. He would not be fazed by that difficulty.
And it could be argued that he would be willing to hear a prayer for peace, approving of its purpose, even if the person making the prayer was ostensibly addressing it to somebody else altogether.
That's why the Pope's comments are still only on the borderline of "one world religion".
edit on 15-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I don't believe he's calling for one world religion. In fact, I believe he's saying that in spite of our different religious beliefs, we can unite in a common focus of love.

But here's the dialogue from the video so people can decide for themselves:

Video:

Pope: "Most of the planet's inhabitants declare themselves believers. This should lead to dialogue among religions. We should not stop praying for it and collaborating with those who think differently."

(A variety of person's religious beliefs expressed in video):

Video:

1: "I have confidence in Budda"
2: "I believe in God"
3. "I believe in Jesus Christ"
4. "I believe in God, Allah"

Pope: "Many think differently, feel differently, seeking God or meeting in different ways. In this crowd, in this range of religions, there is only one certainty we have for all: we are all children of God."

(The above same group of people's share a common belief):

1. "I believe in love"
2. "I believe in love"
3. " I believe in love"
4. " I believe in love"

Pope: "I hope you will spread my prayer request this month: That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice. I have confidence in your prayers."

edit on 15-1-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I thought the goal of all religions was to have one world religion? Theirs.

Certainly, Christianity is a proselytising religion and seeks to convert people to their spiritual path, but there are some religions which do not seek converts and mostly remain ethnically tied. Shinto, Hinduism and Asatru are similar examples of the latter.

On the topic of the video, i think it is clear that the Pope is not calling for a one world religion. If he was, he would say that his religion is the correct path and encourage conversion, because he's a Catholic Christian. He's simply calling for inter-religious dialogue and understanding on behalf of the world's religions.
edit on 15-1-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

According to the Catholic church, there is no other religion or way to be acceptable to God but to be in communion with the Catholic church. This also means other Christian denominations. According to Catholic doctrine anyway who is not a Catholic is going to hell. If this man was a Catholic he would be upholding Catholic doctrine.

That is incorrect.

The Catholic Church does hold that it is the one true church however, this bit about "According to Catholic doctrine anyway [sic] who is not a Catholic is going to hell" is actually false.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

The Church and non-Christians

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."325

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,326 "the first to hear the Word of God."327 The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ",328 "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."329

840 And when one considers the future, God's People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals: expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah. But one awaits the return of the Messiah who died and rose from the dead and is recognized as Lord and Son of God; the other awaits the coming of a Messiah, whose features remain hidden till the end of time; and the latter waiting is accompanied by the drama of not knowing or of misunderstanding Christ Jesus.

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

842 The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:

All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city. . .331

843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

844 In their religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them:

Very often, deceived by the Evil One, men have become vain in their reasonings, and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and served the creature rather than the Creator. Or else, living and dying in this world without God, they are exposed to ultimate despair.333

845 To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son's Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is "the world reconciled." She is that bark which "in the full sail of the Lord's cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world." According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah's ark, which alone saves from the flood.334

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Unfortunately, there are too many people who feel it is the duty of religious leaders to attempt to impose their religion and views on everyone. If they're not at least holding a hard-line stance against all others, and preferably sowing seeds of hatred or spreading death and suffering, then they're not doing God's Work. It's strange, but there is a portion of the populace who truly belief Jesus' message was a message of Destruction, Hate, and Division. Methinks they bought the wrong Bible.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with interfaith movements. I've talked to, worked with, prayed with, dated, and hung out with believers from other faiths all my life. I actually think believers should get along anyway. In fact, I'll even ask other true believers for their advice on a subject if it's bothering me, regardless of their faith or denomination.

My idea of a "true believer" is someone who puts their devotion to God above everything else. I accept that we're all in the same boat (believers) & are trying to get to the same destination (Heaven/a positive afterlife). So it's better if we work together rather than against each other. In fact, part of my own "covenant" with God says that God wants us to unite & love while Shaytan wants us to divide & hate. It's one of the reasons I hate bigotry & racism too, because of those foolish & unnecessary divisions of people (and yes, I'm failing that covenant by hating racism & bigotry; that's one of my vices that I'm trying & failing to overcome).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join