It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billy Corgan Says Facebook is Creating a Generation of Narcissists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I'm probably a bit of a narcissist, but I HATE Facebook with the burning, fiery passion of a thousand suns.

Perhaps it is because I am the introverted type of narcissist, that looks to self-improvement rather than attention.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It occurs to me, as I read this thread, that we're all on an electronic media critiquing the posts and personalities on another electronic media ... well, I'm waiting for the days when we can all teleport into a common area for analog, nuanced interaction.. .twitches, smells and all... but until then, just remember "smart" and "sensitive" folks are rare... rarer even than wealthy folks... and that sad fact shows and just keeps showing the longer one remains here on Earth.

Oh... and FB pretty much sucks and the millennials are screwed... heh.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline for a look at the possible future. Your life is lived via an avatar.

edit on 1/15/2016 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
It occurs to me, as I read this thread, that we're all on an electronic media critiquing the posts and personalities on another electronic media ... well, I'm waiting for the days when we can all teleport into a common area for analog, nuanced interaction.. .twitches, smells and all... but until then, just remember "smart" and "sensitive" folks are rare... rarer even than wealthy folks... and that sad fact shows and just keeps showing the longer one remains here on Earth.

Oh... and FB pretty much sucks and the millennials are screwed... heh.

SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIT.............. You think Facebook causes break-ups now...? Imagine teleporting capabilities...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

heh... true that...

but ...maybe that's a sign convoluted, artificial morals regarding sex and one person as all things to another make things ...hard... heh, or harder than they have to be.

Just sayin ...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Thank you... book was off my radar, and is now on it. I'm assuming a good read from your presentation, so thanks very much.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: rukia
I know a lot of you here on ATS don't like Facebook for various reasons, but honestly--Facebook needs more kind people with brains. If we say that we stand for the denial of ignorance, then why are we restricting that to ATS? We should stand up and go out into social media and be pillars of reason and logic that stand firm against the idiotic narcissism of the growing mass of idiots.

I deleted my FB account years ago and walked away from all the hollowness for a reason -- trying to maintain a degree of realistic, intelligent conversation is not what people on FB want. It is a definite "Look at MEEEEE!" platform, nothing more.

But, isn't Facebook what YOU make it for yourself?

It is a great platform for staying connected to people/friends that are not part of your everyday life.

I delete a lot of posts, because I am in charge. Facebook is not in charge of me.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Stupidity is like the one trophy everyone can say they earned.
Stupid was popular before Farcebook ever came around.
Remember all the USA! USA! rah rah when we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq?
Americans in general are like a herd of cows, often having the same look in their eyes when asked a question like "who was the 2nd President of the United States?"

Not being a FB user myself I can only relate the nonsense my wife shows me and it's plenty.
It seems to encourage social drama between friends and one can only take so many cute animal videos.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

SEE! We CAN agree on something!

Honestly -- to all SP fans reading in this thread. I lost pretty much ALL interest in them after Adore came out. I listened to it and didn't recognize the band anymore. To electronic, to dark. To ... weird. Corgan got weird. I think his fame allowed him the time/space/money to just really get lost in himself and he kind of went off the deep end.

After Adore...Machina, Oceania...nope. None of those has the "genius" of Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie. Gish has some rockin' tracks that I still love too.

When I heard "Eye" on the Lost Highway soundtrack (which was the first new song they released after Mellon Collie) ... My heart sank as I knew the band was going in a weird, downhill direction. Then came that "The Beginning is the End" or whatever song for the Batman Soundtrack they did. It was also another sign pointing at the demise of SP.

Zwan was a brief bright spot, however, after liking about 2-3 songs on the album I had some hopes that Corgan had kind of "got his groove back". . . Nope. His newest work is still ... dark, grungy, electronic-ish, droning, boring and honestly I think his voice has gotten more nasally over the years to where it's almost unbearable.

Corgan is the guy who made me want to play guitar. I have a "Zero" sticker (like his shirt) on my guitar case to this day. He was a huge part of my teenage years -- but all good things end...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I would not say it is "creating" one as much as it has shown one to already exist.
[second]

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

heh... true that...

but ...maybe that's a sign convoluted, artificial morals regarding sex and one person as all things to another make things ...hard... heh, or harder than they have to be.

Just sayin ...

Indeed... What ever happened to being able to say no...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

My fiance is always scrolling through and showing me drama. At the end of December, I got an alert saying that I could look back and see all my activity from 2015. Ha... It was five pictures that I'd posted.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Absolutely brother. I just went and looked at their albums and you're exactly right. I liked Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, I don't have any SP songs on my playlist or any SP CDs after MC. Matter of fact, I put it on Youtube earlier and put a Smashing Pumpkins playlist on and have been listening to songs that I remember from High School... Weezer, Better Then Ezra, Bush, Pearl Jam, Beck, Blind Melon, Rage Against the Machine, The Verve, RHCP, Marcy Playground, Oasis... I swear I almost went back in time to the mid 90's and driving two houses down from the school with all my friends when it let out. We'd go to the big church parking lot, I'd crank up the Alt Rock music, and we would kick a dang hacky sack around for hours and hours. Sometimes I can reminisce so deep that I swear I can smell the air that I smelled 20+ years ago.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Absolutely brother. I just went and looked at their albums and you're exactly right. I liked Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, I don't have any SP songs on my playlist or any SP CDs after MC. Matter of fact, I put it on Youtube earlier and put a Smashing Pumpkins playlist on and have been listening to songs that I remember from High School... Weezer, Better Then Ezra, Bush, Pearl Jam, Beck, Blind Melon, Rage Against the Machine, The Verve, RHCP, Marcy Playground, Oasis... I swear I almost went back in time to the mid 90's and driving two houses down from the school with all my friends when it let out. We'd go to the big church parking lot, I'd crank up the Alt Rock music, and we would kick a dang hacky sack around for hours and hours. Sometimes I can reminisce so deep that I swear I can smell the air that I smelled 20+ years ago.

Yeah that takes me back for sure.
Grunge in the early to mid 90's then alt rock of mid to late 90's.
Great times, great music, pre 9/11, the world wasn't perfect but they were good times.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It doesnt matter. Freedom means that youths may be silly and posting alot of selfies.

As long as they're not raping, murdering, embezzling, dominating, enslaving, exploiting, and destroying people and the natural world, they're saints!
edit on 15-1-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yep, after MC it was night and day. Sort of like the Beatles before and after India. Before India? "I want to hold your hand"...after India? "Lucy in the sky with diamonds".

But unlike the Beatles, the music just wasn't really very good...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

And you're right. There's a deep sadness in the world right now. I fear that things are only going to get worse.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Wow! Now THAT'S interesting.

I didn't think of it like that. That's brilliant. Thank you. I think you hit the bulls-eye

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: eletheia

Effing A! When I first started dating my fiance, she was 20 and I was 34. She was ALWAYS posting selfie pictures and pictures in mirrors and seeing how many "Likes" she could get. After about 4 months with me, that all changed. Now, 3 years later, she looks back and realizes how immature it was and when they pop up on her timehop (?) she gets embarrassed.

Yeah, I've got an 8 year old that wants Facebook. He's high functioning autistic and really into computers.

This is his world. His generation. He needs to learn now, not 10 years from now that anything you post online is there forever.

I'm teaching him he can only post positive. If he has a problem with something, we discuss how to word it in a positive way.

If its not OK for your own kids to view/read (when you have some) - - its not OK to post. Ever!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: onequestion

Narcissism is a mental illness. It's a personality disorder. Only 5.7% of the population has a personality disorder in both America and Canada--and I'm sure rates are similar elsewhere, but I am too lazy to look them up. And there are 10 types of personality disorders. And those 10 make up that percentage. The math is there.

There is a difference between illness and disorder.
The former is not the natural state and can be treated, the latter is the natural state and can't be treated.The rest of the paragraph is just statistics based on ........?

You compare narcissists to sociopaths. The term sociopath and psychopath are interchangable dependant usually upon the situation. It is generally accepted that there is a far larger number of psychopaths than is officially acknowledge. The difficulty is in detecting them......officially. To detect a psychopath 'officially' evidence has to be collated from every part of their life. From sex life through to medical records. From anecdotal evidence to recorded medical history and responses to carefully worded and selected interview questions.

The majority of psychopaths......(narcissists?) are simply labelled as a$$holes by people.....even their willing victims.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join