It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billy Corgan Says Facebook is Creating a Generation of Narcissists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Effing A! When I first started dating my fiance, she was 20 and I was 34. She was ALWAYS posting selfie pictures and pictures in mirrors and seeing how many "Likes" she could get. After about 4 months with me, that all changed. Now, 3 years later, she looks back and realizes how immature it was and when they pop up on her timehop (?) she gets embarrassed.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: awareness10
Believing this fu*cking illusion is reality is real is mind bending in itself.

Billy is right, the world is filled with psychopatic retards...

The older generation always blames the younger you know why...? Because the younger generation can't see clearly until they've aged and then, they understand the crap better. Everyone blames the older generation for not understanding when in reality, they're opening their eyes for the very first f*ing time and thus suddenly 'seeing' for the first time what crap they were fed for the first 40 some odd years of their lives. DING. awake yet?

Agreed... When I was growing up and started driving ('94), I can remember the old people always bitching about the younger people's driving. I always did my best to not be thrown into that category. If not for the older generations bitching at the younger generations, the current "older" generation would have failed. The younger generation NEEDS that discipline. I think that's what Billy is pointing towards and he's absolutely right. Today's younger generation won't listen because their parents didn't make them listen to authority and that can set them up for definite failure. I'm not talking about all younger people, but the majority.

You're correct. we must be from the same generation lol or close. Sometimes i look around me and can't believe i'm actually here... it's surreal at times... and to people who don't understand me, it's even harder. Gawd... Sometimes... most times... i wish i could go back to the pool hall and hang out with the 'bikers' because they seem so much more 'normal' today than todays self important genious' hell bent on being numero uno.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Billy Corgan is absolutely incorrect. It is the parents who create narcissists; usually in the parent's image. Facebook is merely a platform for self-absorbed individuals to put their narcissism on display.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Kill your Farcebook page.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: rukia

Maybe it's because I'm part of the older generation, but I still can't understand the attraction to having a Facebook, taking selfies, using twitter, texting, and the immense addiction to cell phones.

We did without with all of these electronic gadgets. We communicated face to face not through cell phones or a Facebook. We wouldn't want to offend anyone in person. Employer's judged us by how well we came across in an interview not by spying on a Facebook page. Taking selfies of yourself would cause friends to think you were conceited. Walking around with a phone in your pocket back than would be annoying, considering we didn't like answering the old land phones at home, lol.

TV remotes made us lazy. Parents used us as remotes to change the channels on TV.
Technology certainly has it's bad and good points. I can't imagine what technology will be like 100 years from now.

Exactly how I feel. I'm 37 now and I hate this social media thing. Ever heard the song "A Different World" by Bucky Covington? I'll post the lyrics.

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin' outside

[Chorus]
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

[Chorus]

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

It was a different world

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I used to be a frequent Facebook user until it became too overwhelming. Personally don't care for it, but it certainly helps to keep in touch with friends and relatives, especially those who live far away. But even then, there are other ways to stay in touch: email, text, phone calls, personal visits.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

YEUH!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Facebook is good for only one thing.

I have had a facebook account for about ten years and have barely used it until recently because it is about the only way I can get through to anyone I know at all with any hope of getting a reply.

I hate the petty shallowness and inanity of the majority of the things discussed on it on it (no I do not want to play that stupid #ing game because you think it's fun), the narcissism is rampant.

Fake, Fake, Fake...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Billy Corgan has always been a genius. And apparently has a knack for stating the obvious.

As for me and the OP's suggestion that we all help fix FB. No. Not unless Zuckerberg stops data mining the vapid group think.

One of the greatest things that will come out of a power grid failure is the loss of FB and social media. No FB is the only way to fix FB.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

she was 20 and I was 34.

good for you

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The older generation always blames the younger you know why...? Because the younger generation can't see clearly until they've aged and then, they understand the crap better. Everyone blames the older generation for not understanding when in reality, they're opening their eyes for the very first f*ing time and thus suddenly 'seeing' for the first time what crap they were fed for the first 40 some odd years of their lives. DING. awake yet?

Agreed... When I was growing up and started driving ('94), I can remember the old people always bitching about the younger people's driving. I always did my best to not be thrown into that category. If not for the older generations bitching at the younger generations, the current "older" generation would have failed. The younger generation NEEDS that discipline. I think that's what Billy is pointing towards and he's absolutely right. Today's younger generation won't listen because their parents didn't make them listen to authority and that can set them up for definite failure. I'm not talking about all younger people, but the majority.

You're correct. we must be from the same generation lol or close. Sometimes i look around me and can't believe i'm actually here... it's surreal at times... and to people who don't understand me, it's even harder. Gawd... Sometimes... most times... i wish i could go back to the pool hall and hang out with the 'bikers' because they seem so much more 'normal' today than todays self important genious' hell bent on being numero uno.

Probably... I'm a '79 model and grew up in the 80's. I never really made it to the # reality past about 2005.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I agree.

It appears the girl grew a brain.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

To say the least. I knew she was loyal, valued her job, stuck around at hard times because she had bills to pay, and always ALWAYS made sure none of her bills were late. Plus she had a car, a bank account, and no form of dependency. A diamond in the rough. Now the only selfies she takes are the ones she sends only to me, and would probably kill me if she knew I was using one of them for my avatar.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Probably... I'm a '79 model and grew up in the 80's. I never really made it to the # reality past about 2005.

You remind me of a good friend i once had, before she passed on. I'm glad you're here and i value your input, truly. Peace
btw i grew up in the 80's as well.. back when it was still somewhat 'normal'. Gawd.. i miss the 80's..
edit on 1/15/2016 by awareness10 because: ALIENS made me do it...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You remind me of a good friend i once had, before she passed on. I'm glad you're here and i value your input, truly. Peace
btw i grew up in the 80's as well.. back when it was still somewhat 'normal'. Gawd.. i miss the 80's..

Likewise... Stay cool, Awareness

edit on 15-1-2016 by LSU0408 because: Because I miss the 80's too

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Likewise... Stay cool, Awareness

you too Sister!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Lol, that should be the national anthem for the older generation.

-No seat belts in cars, boy do I remember that. If you were sitting in the front seat and your parents had to hit the breaks we slide and hit our jaw on the dash board (dash boards that weren't made out of foam rubber!)

-It's sad very few kids play outside today. The video games have really made them home bodies.

-ABC, NBC and CBS but you forgot PBS!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Though he's got a very good point, this is probably one of the best examples of the pot calling the kettle black I've heard in awhile.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I can remember me and my sister being small enough to stand up in the front seat when my parents were driving somewhere. Probably somewhere around '82 or '83. My sister would normally put her arm around my dad's neck while she stood next to him and I'd do the same to my mom. Man, we'd go all the way from Shreveport, Louisiana to Winnie, Texas like that, or go play in the back seat. Then dad got an '81 F-150 that had a quarter camper on the back with two little beds in it. That's where we'd ride after that, and sometimes hang our feet out of the door that opened up to the bed of the truck. Tines were so awesome back then. Here's a pic of the back yard I grew up playing in for the first 5 years of my life. That's me and my sister, family friend off to the right. My parents and uncles, aunts, and cousins were always back there around a fire and playing and seeing who could run to the front yard, climb in the bed of my uncle's truck, grab a Miller Lite out of the cooler, and get it back to one of my uncles the fastest when they wanted a beer.

We were always climbing that big pecan tree too, or playing around in the pasture.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
He's not wrong is he?
It's not just FB but yes, there's something about FB that breeds those traits... posting about every aspect of their lives and constantly updating mundane crap like it's wise and poignant.
I don't use FB, haven't for probably 5 years now... it's just sad and I think people are often so far removed from reality that it's scary.

"Oh look a little boy washed up on a beach, I better like that image....oh wait some celeb flashes their underwear I have to share
that with all my "friends" on FB."

It's just weird.... nothing is real, tragedies come and go and people are interested for 5 minutes until the next big Tweet or Post comes along and then it's on to that, they're not seen as real events or real people, just the next story or event or internet meme or "topic"
It's honestly a pretty troubling thing, the way people and society at large is going.

Everyone is constantly looking at a screen and is fairly detached from the world and from each other.

It's getting colder out there for sure.... Narcissism, detachment.... disconnect.

Weird times indeed.

It's not everyone and it's not everywhere... but it's increasing and getting worse.
When people would rather pull out their phones and record an attack, car crash, rape or whatever, rather than actually help or protest or involved themselves, you know things are bad.

edit on 15/1/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join