It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authors of the Bible: The Greatest Plagiarism Ever Believed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Humans have a chance to surpass our 'doom' if only we had the ability to escape Earth and inhabit other celestial bodies. However, Religion has a history of suppressing scientific advancement.

Talk about an irrational belief!
Do you realize the odds against humans leaving this solar system before we die as a race?
The huge hurdle of interstellar travel is the main reason that most rational people do not believe that Earth has ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

edit on b000000312016-01-14T13:47:24-06:0001America/ChicagoThu, 14 Jan 2016 13:47:24 -0600100000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Excellent thread OP. Nice job with the details. I've always believed in a GOD(s) of some sort. I truly believe we were created by some sort of advanced civilization but I just can't ever wrap my head around the Catholic version of Jesus. I attended Catholic studies growing up until my senior year in HS. I stopped going because at some point I felt it was BS and I felt as if I was being trained to think a certain way. I will never close the door on Jesus because I do feel it is possible but I will not throw all me eggs in a basket.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Cracking thread ghost, you and boymonkey are currently 2 of my favourite posters on this subject. I have other favs for other subjects of course ☺

Snf

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

People like to refute Christianity because it is easy to do so, not because we are in dire need of it. These sorts of things were fashionable in the 17th century. Of course any attempt to limit religious freedoms has lead to atrocity.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: uktorah
Ghost, is there a full-size image anywhere of the tree online, please?

Yup, here you go Link. You can also right-click the image and click "View Image" to see the full size.

originally posted by: schuyler
Christian anything much he doesn't already know. OF COURSE God didn't make the Earth in six days and rest on the seventh. OF COURSE God didn't make woman from a rib of Adam.

There seems to be an ever prevalent population here on ATS that truly does not know this information, or completely rejects it.

It's quite difficult bringing a fundamentalist out of such a deluded mentality, but that's not really who I'm aiming this information at. Those people are far too lost to be convinced their beliefs are false (in most cases).

However, the person that was simply raised and conditioned to believe in Christianity, without putting much thought into it, those are the people who are able to be enlightened.

originally posted by: schuylerdoes that mean they are "plagiarized," really? Did someone intentionally lift the myth of Heracles and say, "We'll just steal this passage here from this source and pretend we invented it ourselves to fool all these believers out there."

It seems quite evident when there is so much detailed similarities. If the similarities were more generic, I would say you have a point, but you can't simply look at Horus' story and say "just a coincidence"

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Great thread. I've always been amazed how people can ignore blatant inconsistencies within the bible and go on to say that it is true. The most annoying cop-out I hear is "they are metaphors". No, not every logical inconsistency with in that religious text is a metaphor.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

io9.gizmodo.com...

So are you rational or inquisitive?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Talk about an irrational belief!
Do you realize the odds against humans leaving this solar system before we die as a race?

I never said "the solar system" I said "celestial bodies". The moon is a celesital body, Mars is a celestial body.

Did I claim definitive knowledge that this is going to occur? No.

Did I claim that I believe we are going to achieve this? No.

I stated "we have a chance"

Your analytical skills/reading comprehension seems to be lacking

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

This addresses why astrotheology doesn't really work out as neatly as you think it does.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Excellent thread OP. Nice job with the details. I've always believed in a GOD(s) of some sort. I truly believe we were created by some sort of advanced civilization but I just can't ever wrap my head around the Catholic version of Jesus. I attended Catholic studies growing up until my senior year in HS. I stopped going because at some point I felt it was BS and I felt as if I was being trained to think a certain way. I will never close the door on Jesus because I do feel it is possible but I will not throw all me eggs in a basket.

Thank you very much

I don't have any problem with the belief in gods, or a god, or some kind of force. Usually, Theism without religion tends to be very generic and state nothing with absolute certainty. This, I have no problem with. Who knows? There may be a god.

Religion, on the other hand, makes claim after claim that are exceptionally easy to debunk, because religion has no 'wiggle room' to adapt to new information. Everything is stated with absolute certainty, and when it's proven wrong, the information is still believed. It's an incredible tool when applied to separating a person from reality.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Instead of rationalizing plot holes like a star wars fanboy, why not just admit that it is wrong?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I never said "the solar system" I said "celestial bodies". The moon is a celesital body, Mars is a celestial body.

That is correct. YOU didn't say it, I did.
What good is going to the moon if the Sun has gone red giant? Sooner or later the Sun will cease to exist.

Here you are questioning my 'analytical skills/reading comprehension' and you don't get the simple point that I am making.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Why not?
Why do you care if someone else does something that you think is silly if it doesn't make any difference in the end for either you or them?
Seems like the ultimate waste of time.

Because of this:

fast-forward to 32 mins 20 seconds or jump straight to 34:00

"Warlocks are enemies of god!!"

...and the fact that these people could grow up to be a judge, a politician, an authority figure. Do you want that person judging you in the court of law, on a jury, writing your laws, teaching your children, etc??
edit on 14-1-2016 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

I watched that last month, that woman is NUTS.

A great watch if anyone has not seen it.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Do you want that person judging you in the court of law, on a jury, writing your laws, teaching your children, etc??

Fast forward 1,000 years.
What difference does it make? All involved will be dead, or at least have a really severe case of Alzheimers.

Why not have a litmus test? No religious people are allowed to hold any authority over other people.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

That is correct. YOU didn't say it, I did.

Why bring it up if it isn't part of the conversation?

you stated:
Talk about an irrational belief! Do you realize the odds against humans leaving this solar system before we die as a race?

This implies that you believed my position was to leave the solar system. If you didn't believe that, then your question makes little sense to the conversation we were having.

What good is going to the moon if the Sun has gone red giant? Sooner or later the Sun will cease to exist.

The Sun becomes a Red Giant in about 5 billion years. We can calculate the rate at which our technology advances with accuracy. So yes, 5 billion years is plenty of time to figure out how to get out of the solar system anyway.

We are already developing an engine that can get to alpha centauri in less than 100 years travel-time. Link

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Why not have a litmus test? No religious people are allowed to hold any authority over other people.

Hmm, that actually sounds quite reasonable.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The most annoying cop-out I hear is "they are metaphors".

A site I am currently reading through (a critical review of Christianity) addresses this.

A more irritating stance is that taken by the liberals. They, too, asserts that the Bible is true. Yet, wanting to have their cake and eat it too, they asserted that the truths of the Bible is not scientific or historical and should not be analyzed as such. The Bible, say the liberals, speaks of spiritual truth. Hence when it speaks of the six day creation of the universe, it was not meant to be taken literally but allegorically.

This path taken by the liberals is non-testable because it makes no meaningful assertion. And how is one to know which passages are to be taken literally and which to be taken figuratively? No Christian church up until recently had ever read the creation account as anything other than a factual one. Liberals, at least in their views concerning the Bible, are atheists without the courage of their convictions. Their knowledge of science and history has shown the Bible to be clearly false if it is taken literally.

To save their faith, they adopted the allegorical interpretation and the concept of spiritual truths. However, this actually open a Pandora box for Christian theology: for who is to know whose interpretation is the truth or is actually what was meant by the authors when they wrote the Bible? One example is the tendency among some liberals to adopt an existentialist interpretation to biblical passages, especially to the New Testament. But existentialism is, by and large, a philosophy of the twentieth century, how could such a concept be even imagined by the supposed authors of the gospels and the epistles?

Link

edit on 14-1-2016 by deliberator because: Forgot to post link

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Why bring it up if it isn't part of the conversation?

This might be beyond you, but because it goes to my original point.... that we will die out as a species and not exist any more.
You say, 'Oh, we will go to the moon, or maybe Mars.'
I am telling you that the odds are totally stacked against us surviving as a species.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 14-1-2016 by deliberator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join