It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else cut their own hair?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Me? Cut my own hair? Nah... I don't have the patience I once did and if I were to mess it up, I'd have to drag my own booty into the allyway and have it out.

My better half cuts my hair and trims my face... she's really quite good at it and gets better with each round.

She did, once, snip my ear however... left it a little bloody but, it healed and now she always grins when I reminder of it before each clip.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I haven't had mine cut in years. I like it long. I remember my sister cutting her own hair once. She messed it up really bad. Then again, she was five or so.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Personally I would recommend trying to get her roles with Disney. I think they really help kids turn into well adjusted, upstanding citizens.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just attack mine with thinning scissors the ones with all the teeth and hope for the best , But it is a never ending story with the lenth my hair grows in a year .

I am lucky if i have gone to a barbers 4 times in the last decade

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I can probably count the number of times I've been to the hairdresser in my life on one hand. The only time I've ever gone was when I wanted a complete change of hair style... like when I had all of my hair chopped off into a really super short pixie-style cut (loved that look on me, I'm tempted to do it again).

But otherwise, I've been cutting my own hair since I was a kid. My mom was a hairdresser so she had all of these mannequin heads at home that I used to play around with and practice cutting their hair on.

By the time I was a teen, I refused to let my mom cut my hair anymore... she had this bad habit of wanting to give me friggin 1950's hairstyles. Can you say bufont hairdo ?!

Anyways, now I cut both mine and hubby's hair all the time.

It's easy to cut your own hair when you just do a simple long layered style.

I got a kick out of that one video you posted where she pulled all of her hair into a ponytail in the front, what a super easy way to get a slight layered effect !

Here's another easy trick to get a basic 'angled around your face' look. Whenever I've given myself bangs this is the method I use because I don't suit bangs that go straight across my forehead:

Great thread Atsbhct... cheapskates unite !

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

Me? Cut my own hair? Nah... I don't have the patience I once did and if I were to mess it up, I'd have to drag my own booty into the allyway and have it out.

My better half cuts my hair and trims my face... she's really quite good at it and gets better with each round.

She did, once, snip my ear however... left it a little bloody but, it healed and now she always grins when I reminder of it before each clip.

Nice hair cut. Cool scar. Mow you're a lady magnet.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

My boyfriend has long hair. I think it looks great. I don't dare cut it though, because it's so curly. It's like a puzzle.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Thinning shears? Ladies and gentlemen, we have an expert on our hands.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Maybe I need bangs today!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Thinning shears? Ladies and gentlemen, we have an expert on our hands.

It looks ok to me when i am finished usually the toilet sink is nearly full after 3 months of growing , My friends & family seem really impressed when i cut it they have a big open mouth look and the words -- O MY GOD - who cut your hair

PS i wear a cap a lot

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Hahaha. What kind of style do you prefer? Surely we can find you a YouTube tutorial!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm Bold, apart from a few whiskers on my Chiny chin chin, which an electric razor can rake care of on a monthly basis

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I had very long hair in my twenties only ever trimmed the split ends off
Now i just shave the lot down to the scalp once a month
Both are low maintenance.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The short back and sides type , I hate it when it touches my ears but it is due for another chopping soon even though i promised i would not touch it again myself , but i am such a tight ass with my bucks .

Years ago where i last lived a friend of mine was a great barber so i got him to cut my hair and i washed his dishes for him , but half the men in his village used to go to him to get their hair cut .

Many years ago mid 90s i think a friend of mine a barber had his books out when i popped in for a cuppa on day i happened to glance what he was taking in per week WOW $ 100 + per hour 6 days per week and the cost has gone up quite a bit since then .

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I'm a guy and I've been cutting my own hair for the past 21 years! It all started after watching an infomercial for the Flowbee system. Times were tough so I thought if I could save from paying for a hair cuts every 6 weeks it was worth purchasing. Once I received it, I never paid for another hair cut! What's funny, is I get compliments on my hair cuts. My wife laughs and always says "thanks to Mr. Flowbee." A lot of people are surprised when I tell them I use it. It really does a nice job, it's quick, no mess and the vacuum air suction on your head feels nice!

Now I cut my 80+ year-old father in-laws hair for free. He's on a fixed income and was paying $12.00 a hair cut every 6 weeks and he only has hair on the back and sides! He's a happy customer and is now driving me crazy because he always wants a hair cut because he enjoys the feel of the hair cut, lol. If you're tired of spending money for hair-cuts, I highly suggest purchasing one.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have cut my own hair since I was about 14. I have curly hair depending on the weather. It's kinda a thick and curly Bob mess style. I just grab a chunk and cut as its curly you can hide the uneveness and it actually helps it curl more. Can't be bothered with a style that needs me to fix it everymorning. In fact I only brush it when I wash it only about every 1 and a half week and I only use conditioner not shampoo when I do.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Technically, I don't "cut" my own hair, I clip it. No gaurd clipper, all the way around. I typically do this about 8 times for every 1 barber shop proper hair cut. I say "proper" because I usually let it grow out a bit, then get it cut to a presentable style for an event (wedding, holidays, job interview, etc.) As for the "buzz cut" - it's cooler in the summer, and in the winter I can wear a hat without messing up my hair.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm another who cuts their own hair! Tie it up in a ponytail, chop, let it fall, trim the few bits I missed, done.

I am having trouble with my son's hair though. (2yo). He had the typical bowl-cut for a while there until we were coming back from the doctor's one day and I saw a $5 kids haircut sign and thought what the hell... He looked so adorable with his new haircut! It's getting long again now... And I really don't want to go back. But I just can't do it myself. He needs to grow a bit older so I can just give him a number-4 or something.

Or just keep trimming his fringe and let it flow long. OR!!! A youtube tutorial. Yessssss.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

The suck cut. It sucks and it cuts.

I thought such a device only existed in Wayne's World.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I cut the hair of all my kids, my husband, and myself, for many years.

I had long hair then, and it was easier to do. Now, have short hair, and I feel I just am too out of touch with current styles to do it myself. Much of what is done now we barely glossed over in school- 25 years ago we had like one lesson with razor cutting, because it was a technique never used. Now it is the most used (at least here).

I got tired of it too, the kids moved out... the only one I still do is my youngest son, because he has alopecia areata, in which he always has some large bald patches on his head. After all these years, I have learned techniques of cutting his hair so that they are hidden. I took him to my hairstylist once, thinking she might do better, but it was a catastrophy. She had no idea how to deal with it and you could see the bald areas clearly.
He is off at collage but comes home for his cut each month.

But I never liked talkative hairstylists, until I found one that is sensitive enough to pick up on my mood and adjust accordingly. She is also just super creative and loves trying new and crazy stuff, which I like.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join