It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline prices, Oil by the barrel and employment

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Meanwhile the CEO's and upper management get insane bonus's and raises.

Destraction. Don't blame the price of oil, it has been low... even in recent years...

the difference is in the millions more the people at the top are making now compared to then... Cut there wages? they say cut your jobs instead.

What's next? protesting and demanding they raise the prices? It seems to be working.

Disgusting.
edit on 14-1-2016 by Volund because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I also use stabil in my generator (emergency fuel) storage units and YES it is amazing; I have used the fuel 4 yrs later with great success!!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

Brings back memories of the mortgage gate here years and years ago (2008, maybe); houses for sale around every corner.. Good luck over there Hulk!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You also have to remember that the gas prices are related to folks that receive Social Security. If the prices are HIGH then these folks receive a c.o.l.a. (Cost Of Living Allowance) If the prices are LOW they do not.

For all those who are losing or have already lost their jobs, they will be replaced by the "Americans in waiting" and/or be hired back at a lower compensation. Look at who is really behind "Immigration Reform" it is being pushed by the heads of these corporations who continue to receive outlandish salaries and bonuses, their pay NEVER goes down..

I do a lot of bass fishing and am a member of a bass fishing website. In the 8 years that I've been fishing, the discussion of the prices on bass boats has always reflected petroleum prices and them being so HIGH that this has pushed the price of a 20' er to $65k Those prices have not gone down they have actually gone UP..

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I wonder if a "free" market is the best option for us it just seems too often there's more instability than stability

Maybe we should have gone for state controlled resources, where the government controls production and prices resulting in a more stable and secure economy and also security for the workers.

Of course nice things on paper would only work in practice if we had nice honest governments and all governments were working together in the venture.

We talk so much about prices, the benefits, the negatives but we never discuss that maybe the system is inherently flawed and needs to be completely changed.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Why do we need to artificially involve ourselves in the supply and demand aspect? This leads to much larger problems when price fixing is the norm.

edit on 14-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It sucks that people are getting laid off due to this but we are talking thousands as to the millions that are affected but the massively overpricing at the pumps. I love the prices being lower. I'm not hesitant to pick up the family on a weekend and just decide to go somewhere a few hours away.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Volund

Sounds like our company. They paid big bucks to have consultants tell them what was wrong. Answer too much upper management doing basically nothing. So whats the company doing cutting 15% across the bottom. Upper will just shuffle around to a new position and try to figure out how quality is slipping so bad as they spend 8 hours a day talking and blaming the workers that are leaving in droves.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

While I realize that falling oil prices have a huge impact on employment, is that impact justification for artificially inflated prices?

Unfortunately, the transition to cleaner, more renewable energy sources can't happen without a similar transition with respect to employment in the field of energy production.

Let me put it this way, should we quit looking for a cure to cancer or AIDS because of the negative employment ramifications for the millions of people who currently work treating those patients? I think not!

If those people are smart, they'll be seeking out new employment opportunities and training, possibly even in the clean energy field.

Change Happens!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

You mean hedging. That must really suck. But there are those who are profiting. They probably either didn't have a long hedging agreement, or it has expired.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
OPEC is trying to bankrupt the US oil frackers. Basically, with oil being so high, it made new oil technology like fracking more feasible threatening OPEC. As such, OPEC is essentially flooding the market with oil driving down prices hoping to bankrupt the frackers.

The prices we have in here in the US are certainly welcome but the down side is that it is hurting the employment of those that work in oil production.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We..just north of the border are still paying about 4.60 canuckbucks a gallon, our dollar doesn't help but we do get screwed here in the lower mainland B.C.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

He is only one year removed from Highschool. I asked because ones experiences in life, or lack there of, have a direct effect on our ability to put things in perspective. I then mentioned two facts. If that is being an ass then you are welcome to call me the Ass King. My wife considers me to be such already. Get off your high horse and quit projecting your anger onto people instead of taking their comments at face value.

I will add that $100 in 1996 = $154.62 in 2016.
Therefore even considering inflation prices have a ways to go before equaling the lows of only the last 20 years. Get a grip. And get some facts.
edit on 14-1-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
In LLoydminster Alberta here, over a third of the city is layed off and the numbers are climbing. 80% of the businesses service the oil industry and alot of people have left to go to other provinces to look for other jobs. I know guys that have been on unemployment since the early spring. one stretch of road we have going to the industrial area used to be full of now hiring signs , now if the company is still in business I've seen some with not hiring signs.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
Whaaaat? $1.39 a gallon? Really? Well we in the UK now have a low price and it works out approx. $7.21 per gallon and your grumbling. It even went as high as $8.79 a gallon.
Now as for trouble in the oil industry, well you weren't shouting to drop the prices when you were raking it in and causing transport businesses to go out of work and as for our Scottish friends you were quick to shout your mouths off last year when you were voting on independance "yes why should England have our oil revenue, it is ours so we can be independant from the UK".
Sooner or later oil WILL run out and you'll have to retrain then. But don't come with your bleeding hearts here, you've had the chance to make your money, if you've blown it, weeell.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Welcome to the show. Many, many people have been losing jobs or hours for years.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

Ten forty. Feel better now?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Volund

I'm in DFW and I work for the nations biggest gas producer. We dont work in the field, but own five buildings downtown. We have about 5,000 employees just in that area with many more that do work the field. Luckily, my company is doing everything that we can to put employees first and cut as much as we can elsewhere.

Times are tough, it's cyclical.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

They have different sized bottles, but it's not outrageous. The smallest one is about $4.00 and the really huge, industrial size is $50.00. The one I keep around is about $10.00.

www.walmart.com...
edit on 14-1-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

a reply to: Psychonautics

In reference to his question, that $10 bottle will treat 80 gallons.

So yes, it would make sense. Save $80 with an additional $10 investment, or $70 total in savings.
edit on 14-1-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join