It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips and Tricks to Lessen an Adverse Gluten Reaction, with Some Hidden Sources

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

I've got celiac and have had reactions from shampoo, conditioner, hair products and makeup. When you wash your hair, water can get in your mouth and make its way through the digestive system. When the wind blows, hair can get in your mouth and the gluten can make its way to through the digestive system. My doctor recommended switching to gluten free shampoo and makeup.
edit on 13-1-2016 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Since it's a genetic disorder, it's something I was born with.
It quite honestly threw me for a loop, I didn't even have gluten on my radar when I went into the doctor. I knew there were allergy issues, but not diet issues.

I'm glad you dropped in! Your tidbits of knowledge are invaluable. I really wish you the best in figuring it out, hopefully it's only an intolerance (which is bad enough) and not celiac.

That's interesting about the albumin, since milk is one of many proteins that cross react with gluten. They look enough alike that the body can treat it like gluten when already inflamed. One other big one is coffee, I refuse to give that up. I will avoid most reactive proteins while I'm having a reaction to gluten.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

I don't know how I missed this one.
Rosemary, herb and oil, are great for eczema.

It doesn't surprise me a bit about the glue on the stickers. I guess I scrub them enough to avoid that issue. I will be extra vigilant now. Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

My two daughters and I have problems with eating breads. I designed a bread that is better, but we eat more bread because we can so we are no better off. There is an opioid peptide in wheat gluten that causes the body not to properly uptake cysteine and convert it to a necessary cell protective chemical that moderates inflammation. A type of treatment for celiac is to avoid the gluten and the medicine blocks the effect of opioids present in foods. Many foods have traces of opioids in them in the vegetable class. Wheat is one of the ones with lots in it. Barley has a whole different chemistry and so does Rye. They have their problems but they are different than the wheat.

Once a person starts to get damage in the gut caused by the constant use of the opioids, the gut gets messed up. The opioids mask pain and discomfort but does not fix it, in fact we get hurt more because we do not feel the pain. Eventually the damage is really bad and we feel like crap, constantly chewing on a piece of the food chemistry that masked the discomfort and allowed us to eat foods we shouldn't have.

I do not feel that wheat actually causes the problem, it is that we cannot identify problem foods that we were eating that is the cause. People can't eat everything, the plant defense system chemicals are not tolerated by everyone, because of genetics.

I don't have the genes for celiac disease. I ran my DNA through gene apps and celiac is not a problem. But even though my daughters and I are clear we still experience problems with breads and wheats. We also are intollerant to milk and that shows up in the genetics. I use that intollerance when I am constipated because that is what a lactose intolerance does. Now milk contains three opiod peptides and they are just as active as wheats.

They have known about the calming chemistry of wheat since ancient times. They have known about the calming chemistry of milk too. Both dope the citizens of nations. They keep them content. Every civilization uses different chemistries to keep their people calm, except maybe the irish people.

People wonder why they can't think, there is way more calming chemistry added to food than anyone can imagine. Half the People by nature are a little roudy and societies have designed the way they eat to calm people so they can get along. The problem is by making this chemistry all over the place, it is starting to hurt a lot of people by blocking metabolic processes. Overmedicating society leads to a big increase in diseases and mutating genes.

What happens when you stop a person from taking opiates? Stopping bread also makes a person antsi, they will turn to milk or other foods that have similar chemistry. Otherwise they get crabby as hell.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Thanks for this...my wife is gluten intolerant, but has tried to latch on to the celiac's way of life to avoid as much gluten as possible. I sent her this link for a read, but I'd be willing to bet that she has a good knowledge of most of them through her research, but hopefully it'll be helpful to her.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You aren't joking about crabby as hell. My house was lots of fun while we purged.
You are on to something there with the doped up masses too.

It's amazing he differences in our daily lives as a family, they had to go gluten free with me due to contamination and the fact I wasn't making two meals at every sitting. In the summer we run on wild fatty fish and garden veggies. We are all so active that we don't even notice the little things that bother us normally. It's as we lose light and come back inside that things bog down. We also eat dairy, more in the winter because I'm cooking more casseroles and chowders. Thanks for that. I'm going to pay more attention to it.

We have removed ourselves so far from the natural order of things that we have royally screwed ourselves up. Our natural systems have had no time to adapt or adjust to the changes. Companies like Monsanto and our lovely medical/ pharmaceutical fields have caused more damage to the human condition than they have helped. Why does it all have to revolve around convenience? The best meal I've have in ages was one we completely harvested ourselves. I picked the produce and made everything, my husband brought down a moose this year and the heart was the centerpiece of the meal.

The hunter-gatherer model has become nearly extinct. Which is sad. There is a quality of life that naturally raises to meet the moment. Gathering our own is priceless, and fun. I would rather take a bunch of buckets, a pile of blankets and go picking all day on a cold fall day with my boys than have them in front of a screen of any type.

Essentially, I feel that the problem is wider than gluten, our systems have been bombarded by a change in humanity if you will. We are now focused on convenience and self rather than nature and the effort it takes to live within her. But now I'm off on a tangent, sorry.

I'm glad celiac isn't an issue for your family, but maybe a return to a lean meats and veggies kind of diet would help?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

There really is so much information available out there. This was in response to my own glutening and realizing the background contamination I've been receiving. Hopefully it can help your wife find some of the hidden sources tucked away in her life.

It just sucks being sick all of the time. Best of luck in finding her hidden sources.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Thanks for stopping in!
From what I've seen around the boards, we have a lot in common. Let me know if you ever come to Alaska!

Can I ask what you use for shampoo and conditioner? I need to find a good face scrub and lotion as well. I did read yesterday that Dove products aren't all gluten free, but they will be labeled about as well as a food product if it's there. That's the best start I have so far. I'm going to miss my herbal essences. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money on simple products.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Apologies for the delayed response.

First here is a link to a popular commercial yeast manufacturer with an overview of the production process in lay terms.
redstaryeast.com...

Take note of the seeding step. All commercial yeast is are isolated strains of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae(S. Cerevisiae). They rise quickly and dependably and are perfect for commercial applications where doughs are mixed, proofed, baked, and bagged within hours.

McGee, Harold. On Food and Cooking. New York: Scribner, 2004. Pg 532. Print.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wild Yeast breads, or sourdoughs, contain many strains of yeast, including the aforementioned S. Cerevisiae. But it isn't the yeast itself that produces a 'healthier' loaf. It's the presence of the bacterial organisms lactobacillus and acetobacillus that produce lactic and acetic acids in the dough as it feeds off the enzyme released sugars in the grain. This imparts the complex, delicious and sometimes described 'sour' flavor into the dough. These gut healthy bacteria combined with the varied strains of yeast, which vary from region to region, produce the pro-biotic nature of a naturally leavened loaf.

Reinhart, Peter. The Bread Bakers Apprentice. New York: Potter, 2011. Print
en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a link to an abstract regarding testing lactobacilli in patients with Celiac Sprue.

"This study shows that CS patients subjected to an acute challenge tolerated breads produced with sourdough better than those started with baker's yeast. These results showed that a bread biotechnology that uses selected lactobacilli, nontoxic flours, and a long fermentation time is a novel tool for decreasing the level of human intolerance to a certain amount of wheat flour."

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

There is a lot more on the internet if you feel inclined to search. It's interesting, at least to me. I'm not a biologist, merely a baker but I find it interesting none the less. My interest involves making the best taking and textured bread I can and I find that a wild yeast culture provides that for me. And along with the longer ferment times required it becomes like a dance.

The only practical, real world, evidence I have is that of my good friends wife who can now eat a true, naturally leavened, loaf. And while it's merely speculation on my end, I believe the folksy adage 'You are what you eat' might ring true. For the last 150 years we have turned away from culture based breads to dependable commercially produced yeast and during that time gut health has decreased to the point where we see the issues we have today.

I hope this begins to help in some way.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks for starting the thread!

I've always wanted to visit Alaska, it is so beautiful. If you ever visit Napa, let me know
We have some awesome GF restaurants here and there is a local bakery that is 100% GF that makes the best bread. They also do mail order. I'll PM you

Neutrogena Naturals is gluten free. I use their products and haven't had any issues with it. Heard the same thing about Dove too. They have GF products but there is a chance of cross contamination. I was using their soap and never had any issues but decided to switch since the risk is there, do not want to deal with the tummy issues, ever again!

SheaMoisture has GF lotions, a little pricey, but haven't had any issues with them. There is another brand, Hempz, they're also GF, I've used them before too.

I use Garnier Fructis for shampoo, conditioner and hair products.

Lancôme makeup is GF.

After diagnosis I was buying the generic over the counter pain med's, didn't even think about non food products containing gluten. Couldn't figure out why I still had low energy and tummy issues. We had replaced all the cookware, plates, cups, basically the whole kitchen. (So expensive!) Luckily my husband had been doing lots of research and he discovered the problem.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Thanks!
I changed out to neutrogena makeup last spring when I was in a couple of weddings, I knew I didn't want to take the chance with it since it was on my face. If only I had put it together sooner with the rest....

That's good to know about dove, I really don't want to take a chance either. It's so much more than an upset tummy. I have used garnier in the past as well, that's an easy change to make. And I love the hempz lotion, do you find it too heavy for your face?

I will do that too. We have often discussed the someday road trip around the whole country. Any good gluten free food tips would be awesome! I love Alaska, but we are so far behind the times on food. We are figuring it out though. There are a few awesome places in downtown Anchorage that are worth it.

Thank goodness for a supportive husband! I honestly don't know what I would do without mine. It's really not a cheap changeover either. What's really great is when people are so surprised that he is on the same page as me, in the interest of keeping our family healthy. He's been a rock and still eternally patient with the associated moods that are a part of having celiac. He is actually the one to encourage me to do my hair and have fun with it. Damn, so it's his fault....hahaha, really just kidding. We are both honestly relieved that it pushed an answer to the forefront. The low grade stuff is harder to pinpoint and fix. We have been trying.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Just been looking on uncle Google as I remember in the past reading that the colour they use for caramel especially 150c which is used in coca cola and other foods )not that coca cola is a food) can be made from wheat so be aware. Sorry to bum out anyone's day.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The Hempz lotion is pretty heavy, only use it on my body.

Supportive husbands are awesome. Mine is always coming home with recommendations of products to try out, from research he has done or from ideas other people have given him that may help. I've also got discoid lupus (among a few other autoimmune issues) and my hair has started falling out. It's really depressing but I've been trying to get over it, it is only hair after all. I finally showed him the bald spots last week and joked about just shaving it off. His comment was that he always thought I would look beautiful with short hair. It literally brought tears to my eyes. He's a good man, I'm a lucky lady to have him in my life.
edit on 15-1-2016 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Caramel color is sketchy.
Maltodextrin and dextrose are others. Cottage cheese once nailed me due to the maltodextrin and me not reading the label.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Thanks! The garnier tip helped immensely yesterday!

That is awesome! It's so good to be with the right person, the one who makes life ok no matter what!
Mine is sleeping still, so I'm going to keep it short.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join