It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so disappointed in my kids' Dr

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I took two of my children to the doctor yesterday, for typical complaints of ear pain, sore throat.

I LOVE their pediatrician.... more than I could ever say. He will meet you in the office on weekends, I can text him anytime, have had to text pictures of weird rashes and he will always respond. He has ridden with children in the ambulance to the nearest children's hospital, which is over an hour away. He is the BEST!

But, while there I asked his opinion on medical cannabis. Because, I live in a state where it is only approved for severe seizures. No other conditions are approved to treat with medical cannabis. He actually had no idea that it was approved here for treating seizures- and said "what good would it do to help with that?" He has so little knowledge of it, even saying " I think there are really very few conditions it can treat".

I explained to him that I had used it on a trip to CO, to see what it did for my condition, (which I have discussed with him at length, because it is genetic and I worry about my kids developing it). He seemed interested in my trial with it and the amazing results I had, but then asked "Is it legal in CO?" He didn't even know that cannabis is 100% legal, medical or recreational, in CO.

I was very, very disappointed that he has such limited knowledge and is so quick to side with the "official" story that cannabis offers no or little medicinal benefits.

He is still the best pediatrician I could ask for.... I just hope that should I need him on board for this kind of treatment, he will be open to educating himself more.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Big pharma and the medical mafia (for the most part) would love to keep prescribing the typical products, AKA not cannabis.

My best friend (and blood relative) has a Federal Schedule 1 Exemption to grow and research medicinal cannabis, and he's noticing the same thing. Big pharma and Wall st. folks love to intimidate, try to buy him out, etc. because they see this as a threat.

I'm glad to hear you found it to be helpful for your seizures. It is showing a lot of promise with epilepsy. It's good to see people researching and finding out more about these types of treatments. In the next few years it should be easier to get these types of treatments, it's taking awhile for obvious political reasons

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
I don't use it for seizures, I have another, unapproved condition. Which I why I have to find a way to document my effects.... But how does one do that when it isn't "approved"? That's why I was testing him.... Have to have a doctor on board to document.

link   

I LOVE their pediatrician.... more than I could ever say. He will meet you in the office on weekends, I can text him anytime, have had to text pictures of weird rashes and he will always respond. He has ridden with children in the ambulance to the nearest children's hospital, which is over an hour away. He is the BEST!

That dude sounds awesome.

Why make Cannabis an issue? He's the kids doctor, not yours.

I'd just shut up about it. Or alienate him, whatever.

link   

That paints a pretty clear picture of why it is so hard to get it legalized. The people with the influence have their own agenda and do not care if it helps or not, they only care if it makes them money. They dont even care enough to do the research on the stuff and see for themselves the results.

I know you love your doctor but I would leave him in a second. Way to close minded.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I think maybe you are being a bit harsh on the good doctor. Why would a pediatrician necessarily know much about medical marijuana? I don't think that is typically issued to young kids even where it is legal.

As for not knowing it was legalized on Colorado.... eh. There is so much more important news out there.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Unfortunately, many doctors know what to prescribe (within the allowed pharma drugs) but have no idea how they really work. And for some that's a comfort/security level to stay only within what they know.

Good luck. You are their best advocate and inform your children the older they get so that they in turn will become their own best advocate.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Be careful about talking to doctors about this if you have kids. Some doctors feel they have a duty to report, and that could be really bad.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Why make it an issue?

Because I have a child that is starting to show signs of the same illness, and I won't have her suffer like I have, when there is a treatment that has worked better than ANYTHING the many doctors I have seen over the years have done. That is why.

I have to be able to find a doctor that will work with me- once I can start back on the oil, and if I can have my kids doctor on my side, helping me find a good doctor for me to work with to document my results, that is the goal.

My legislators don't care about anything I can offer up, only what can be recorded by doctors.

When it comes to it, my family will have to move to a legal state if my legislators don't get their heads out of their butts. My daughter likely had about 1.5 years or so before it starts getting bad, about the same time as puberty.

I have no plans of alienating this man, he's an angel in my eyes.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Depending on the state your in, there should be some organization/department that has been designated to connect patients with providers who can prescribe.

I know in New Jersey they had something like that, called Cannasphere where you could go on their site and look up all of the doctors in NJ who prescribe. This information used to be publicly available but it's not showing up for me anymore, you may have to be a member to use that service now.

At any rate, do some research on any organizations like this in your state and they may be able to help.

In NH the Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for connecting the patients and right providers (although there are no dispensaries up and running in NH yet)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Oh, okay. More power to you.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Be careful about talking to doctors about this if you have kids. Some doctors feel they have a duty to report, and that could be really bad.

There was recent story about a dad giving his dying toddler cannabis oil and it helped her immensely. When he told the doctors they reported him to the police and his dying daughter was taken from him and he was not allowed to see her again.

And of course the one treatment that actually helped her is being denied because of idiot doctors who only care about making money.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wigadidga

That's what I had read too. In Australia I think it was. I thought they would have been more open minded.
Very sad.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I can understand the doctors reticence, firstly, there are side effects to any drug (MJ included). Secondly, a single positive account does not indicate that everyone will have the same success. Thirdly, he is a pediatric doctor, do you think it would be wise to give cannabis products to children?

He's just being cautious, probably very interested but does not want to give the wrong impression that he's all for medical use of a drug that is still a prohibited substance, legally.

edit on 13/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Don't be disappointed.

He's a doctor not a researcher.

He's good at doing one thing and one thing only. And that's being a doctor.

You wouldn't call him over to fix your computer.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You should not be surprised--well, more that the first time--that you know more about your specific conditions than a ped doctor or any GP. I've had the same experience. I know others that have learned more details about their conditions and treatments from searches on the internet than from the doctor they visit. Applaud yourself, but don't blame the doctor.

Doctors are sensitive to being "bettered" about their knowledge of a condition. Be careful of how you approach them with internet data of any kind. If such info is of key importance to your situation, go armed with print outs with necessary links. Some responders here will suggest that you change doctors. That sounds like a swift solution but it doesn't cover such things as a lack of choice in your area for a doctor or an long-going, otherwise agreeable relationship.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
He doesn't get ¢ompen$ated for cannabis scripts...

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
For the record, I have no plans to treat my child in a state where it is illegal. I wasn't discussing that scenario with the dr. I fully understand that treating a child with it while illegal is a can of worms, that I do not want.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

This exemplifies the role filled by pharmaceutical sales reps. Like it or not, they are the primary vector of education for doctors about medications. Your childrens' pediatrician is probably also not very well versed on many other fairly recently approved medications, especially if they aren't aggressively marketed.

You shouldn't be disappointed by the doctor. They typically don't make a standard practice of going out of their way to research new medications. They go with what they know. If they took their time to research each new medication that was approved, it wouldn't leave much time for seeing patients. If anything, be disappointed in the Medical Marijuana dispensaries, who apparently aren't sending enough sales reps out to educate pediatricians.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
He sounds like the rare good doctor that actually cares about his patients. Maybe you can direct him to some studies or literature that would help him to improve his understanding of medical cannabis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join