It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like, what has happened to our communication today? Whatever? Hello? Do you get me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
"Disclaimer" this rant and it's opening post only reflect an observation by hearing. I am not degrading anyone's speech; nor am I judging the methodology of anyone's delivery. This is merely pointing out that recent perception and interaction with others bring up the following points.

Just listening to one of my morning, talk/news shows; it has occurred to me that (not only the MSM) I cannot listen to any MSM, local, one-on-one, radio, TV, Utube, or otherwise without -

1 - the word "like" definition used by many primarily exclusive for nouns, verbs, prepositions, or just plain, old filler.

2 - the word 'whatever" definitian used by many primarily exclusive for nouns, verbs, prepositions, or just plain, old filler. Used extensively in run on sentences, explanatory descriptions, used for beginning / ending conversation and testimonies.

3 - discussions with co-workers, (self-pro·claimed) business associates, friends, clients, etc. that speak, every sentence ,that escapes the bowels of their pie hole as a 'question' ??????......

Conclusion, well, now that I re-read my post; YES - I am passing judgement on others. Why must so many follow these trends... like whatever....Phhhttttttttttttttt

Like, whatever, flame away.... ????? : #pleasenotsaylikeorwhatever, like whatever....

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I see it all the time with teens/young adults, and even girlfriends who are almost 30 NOW that I went to school with, typically the sorority, reality TV-watching types, but it annoys the hell out of me.

It's like, "how can I sound indecisive about everything?"

"Like, every guy I meet is the same. Seriously though... I'm like, done with it. Just What.Ever."

"Seriously", that's another one they use all the time. Makes me want to bash my face into a brick wall

lol

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Speech is a living organism that change from generation to generation, i bet your perfect non question like speech is atrocious to rich people of the 19 century...

Also it seems the use of "like" in the modern context as a filler in everything comes from the 19 century... Rich aristocrats man

R L Stevenson's 1886 novel Kidnapped:

What'll like be your business, mannie? (p 7)
'What's, like, wrong with him?' said she at last. (p 193)

1886 millennials...
edit on 12-1-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

SERIOUSLY, forgot that one Fam! A lady in our office in her 40's uses this continually throughout the day (she has a couple of tweeners) and she sounds like a college girl.. he he,

good one,

Makes me want to bash my face into a brick wall

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Seriously, Ind, I, like, get your point...

I really, though seriously, like this definition much better, for the time being

In some teenage girls, a word spoken in between each word in a sentence. link

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I'm like oh my gosh seriously??? #teenagegirlsspeechmatters

At least they don't say things like LOL instead of just regular laugh, yet...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Don't give them any ideas. LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Tbh Fam, I have the hardest time, like, talking to people even a little bit younger than me. I, like, think I know how old people feel now.

I think I'm old fam.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Bwha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Another one I left out...

that kills me

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I will admit to using whatever usually when I am in a heated argument and need it to end.

Whatever.

Done.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Oh my God! Oh! My! God!
This is like the best thread ever!

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

They DO!!! I have heard them with my own ears!

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I will admit to using whatever usually when I am in a heated argument and need it to end.

Whatever.

Done.
Same. I will freely admit to being a 40+ woman and using the word seriously frequently. Usually directed with stern frustration at my husband when he's acting like a teenager.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Lol... Ha ha ... I love this!!!!! At least you are honest Access

I know a woman JUST like you

new topics

top topics

join