It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A jackpot-rigging scandal is forgotten as Powerball fever sweeps the United States

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

That will work for a short while. At least time to get your affairs in order and get out of town.

If someone so much as scratches their butt on the internet, the trolls eventually weedle out who it was that scratched their butt, why they scratched their butt, and all their family members that may have scratched their butt. Even the pets name that might have licked their own butt. With pictures of you butt scratching.

Moral to the story, dont scratch your butt on the internet if you dont want anyone to find out you are a habitual butt scratcher.

(Sorry in advance. I scratched my butt)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

If I would win, I would collect it anonymously...

Depends what state you reside. In order to collect, must be made public, no anonymity. I know in PA anonymity isn't allowed.

"Can I remain anonymous if I win the jackpot?
Certain winner information is public under the state Lottery Law and Pennsylvania's Right-to-Know Law. As such, the names of lottery jackpot winners are a matter of public record.

The Pennsylvania Lottery must be accountable to the taxpayers and residents who benefit from Lottery-funded programs, and transparency of operations is key to Lottery's integrity. Providing winners' information is also important to players who want to see the winners of the games they play.

The Pennsylvania Lottery publishes the following information on its website:

First name, last initial of the winner(s)
County of residence
Name of game won
Date of win
Prize amount"

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

If I'm not mistaken, the powerball prize must be claimed "in person". That, or at some point the person must make a public appearance for a photo op. All states have their own rules.

Here is one example from the Colorado Lottery (for Powerball).

What you can expect when you win the jackpot.
As part of the Open Records Act, we are required to release to the public your name, hometown, amount you won and the game you played. This information will be posted on coloradolottery.com and will be furnished to media upon request.

You will be interviewed by the Colorado Lottery Media Relations team and a press release will be distributed to local media outlets. You may also be asked to participate in a press conference to answer questions directly from reporters. Our Media Relations team will work closely with you to ensure your comfort with the process.

You’ll be asked to have your picture taken which will appear on our “Wall of Winners,” our website, and our Facebook and Twitter social media outlets.

So the bottom line here is...you better have a fast car!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I vow right now, that if I hit as the only winner, I would like to give one million dollars to each and every legal household in the US. (There are @ 116 million households in this country). Of course there are most likely legalities and logistic problems associated with a venture of this sort, but I will try if I am lucky enough in the 292 million odds to win. Hopefully this would stimulate the economy, end the welfare state so our leaders in DC couldn't use the welfare excuse anymore as one of the blocks to get us out of our $1.6 trillion quagmire.

Cool, can I give you my home address now?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

I vow right now, that if I hit as the only winner, I would like to give one million dollars to each and every legal household in the US. (There are @ 116 million households in this country). Of course there are most likely legalities and logistic problems associated with a venture of this sort, but I will try if I am lucky enough in the 292 million odds to win. Hopefully this would stimulate the economy, end the welfare state so our leaders in DC couldn't use the welfare excuse anymore as one of the blocks to get us out of our $1.6 trillion quagmire.

Cool, can I give you my home address now?

Unfortunately, my math skills were quite lacking, despite my attempted conception of a noble venture. I honestly would give away all but @ $20,000,000. At what point is too much for a person to spend on themselves and their loved ones? After maybe a vacation house on a beach, I have no interest in buying a boat, a jet, a McMansion, etc. I'm quite happy with my middle-class, minimalist lifestyle, but I would like to pay off bills, two college tuitions and my kid's school loans, etc. If the rest could alleviate other people's needs, that's alright with me. Money can't buy happiness, it just makes things a helluvalot easier.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Unfortunately, my math skills were quite lacking, despite my attempted conception of a noble venture. I honestly would give away all but @ $20,000,000. At what point is too much for a person to spend on themselves and their loved ones? After maybe a vacation house on a beach, I have no interest in buying a boat, a jet, a McMansion, etc. I'm quite happy with my middle-class, minimalist lifestyle, but I would like to pay off bills, two college tuitions and my kid's school loans, etc. If the rest could alleviate other people's needs, that's alright with me. Money can't buy happiness, it just makes things a helluvalot easier.

I agree, If I would win I would donate some to different charities, and animal rescues. However I would by gold, at lease if the economy goes bust, I would have something to barter with.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'm well aware of the odds of me winning, but you know, we have the money we can spare, and it's fun to dream.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'd want to set up a fund that would allow me to draw out an amount every year I could convert to bills in the $100 to slightly larger denomination range and then go around playing Secret Santa. There was someone in Kansas City who did this completely anonymously for a decade or more. He only finally came forward in the end because he was terminally ill and wanted others to pick up his legacy.

He would just go around either anonymously handing out bills or quietly shoving them into shopping bags. Things like that and never took any credit for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Is this for real?

Here's a familly claiming to have won the powerball lottery.

They did not cash in yet, but give an interview, with the father having the allegded winning ticket casualy in the front pocket of his shirt.

Can anyone believe this sort of behaviour?

I personally feel unsafe if i have more then 300 $ in cash on me, and i would not tell anyone.

Actors? The real deal? Incredibly naive/stupid?
Lottery Winner interview?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

There was a guy a few years ago that won a lot of money. He carried a huge amount in his truck with him everywhere and while he didn't brag about it, he didn't exactly hide it either. His daughter or granddaughter was murdered one night and all the money stolen.

People are stupid when they get a large amount of money.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
same story in either spain or portugal ( i forgot the details) a guy won a huge jackpot, was killed about 3 days later.

that's why i ask, we all know these stories, we all take care when we walk around with cash or even a mobile phone.

But this family goes on Live TV, before cashing in?
So even their lawyer did not tell them to keep it shot?
And even, when they would need to be on TV, get a bank safe, deposit the paper there, then go to TV.
( then again i would not trust the banks either)

But walking into the TV station with the paper casually in the pocket?

I bet they are being kidnapped as we speak..

Unless they are actors, protected by some shadow players.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

People always think it won't happen to them. They may not even have a lawyer.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Well, that's the only reasonable thing they did: getting a lawyer (might no have been the best choice in which lawyer though)

The lawyer is the guy with the creepy grin behind them:

Interview with allegrd Lottery winners

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here another article reporting: Reuters on lottery winners

Full names of the family mentionend, probably takes 10min google search to find their address, NBC even mentionend they live close to the lottery shop.

This is either made up, or really really careless.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Ah ok. I can't watch videos right now very easily. Yeah, they probably went with some cheap ambulance chaser that was at the top of the lawyer list.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

"Better call Saul" :-) (breakin bad reference)

Short description of the video then:

The whole family sits there, their lawyer stands in the background, they are interviewed how they bought the winning ticket, just about 2 hours before closing. Dad did not feel well that day, felt asleep on the sofa, Mom checked the numbers and Bingo. Woke up Dad, dad checked the numbers 4 times, but wanted to wait the news the nedt day (his only info so far was the numbers Mom wrote down).

Dad goes on to show the winning paper, he has it casually tucked in the breast pocket of his shirt.

Says he did not know what to do, thought of organising a lawyer and an accountant, but have not checked with the lottery company yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Yeah they night want to check with the lottery people before they start spending it. I bought a ticket a couple hours before they closed the day of the drawing and it was for the Saturday drawing not the Wednesday drawing.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
They come from Munford Tennesse, a town with 4'700 people living there.
So by now everybody must have their adress..

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Yes, and the 4,700 people will become best friends with the family.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

4700 people will somehow find lineage.

Seriously though, all you have to do is sign the back. Nobody else can cash it in after that, so rolling the person to get the ticket will just nullify the ticket.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join