It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain lion with bizarre deformity found in Southeast Idaho

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This is pretty cool/weird.

This mountain lion was killed in Idaho, but when the hunter got close he saw an abnormal growth on the side of the animals head.

The yearling cougar, which was harvested near Weston last week by an unidentified hunter, had a separate set of teeth growing out the side of its forehead. The community of Weston is located about 12 miles southwest of Preston near the Idaho/Utah border.

Idahostatejournal

I'm not really sure what to make of this. A natural birth defect? A tumor? While uncommon they do happen. I wonder if there are any chemical companies or industrial operations in the area.

The biologists and veterinarians said it could also be a teratoma, which is a rare tumor that can contain hair, teeth and bones. In rare circumstances, a teratoma can also sprout more complex body parts such as eyes, fingers or toes.
Like conjoined twins, teratomas are rare in both humans and animals but have been documented in canines and horses.

Either way, I thought it was kind of neat and ATS would find it interesting.
edit on 10-1-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've been seeing this make it's rounds on social media (C2C, Clyde Lewis, random pages, etc.).

It's pretty creepy looking. Birth defect would be my guess (or hoax).

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Is that a chicken growing out of it's head or just something that resembles a chicken?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Possibly a twin that was born inside the other?

A chimera?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Is that a chicken growing out of it's head or just something that resembles a chicken?

Another jaw.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Nice catch, I see the chicken now too

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As the article says, it's either a conjoined twin or a tumour.

Hmm, a tumour that grows teeth?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I wonder if there are any chemical companies or industrial operations in the area.

I don't.

These things happen in nature from time to time, so our first assumption should be natural occurrence rather than due to some chemical issue due to a human habitation. A single specimen would not suggest it was due to human habitation. If there was severe increase in the population, then yes, turn to human habitation for a likely cause.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Would have to agree with teratoma . A teratoma may be a genetic mutation but the gene hasn't been identified.

Too bad the cougar was killed before this was known it may have benefited for the sake of the area's wildlife and more if it were examined or to be examined after death beyond using a tooth for DNA extraction which the sources are saying. So hopefully it can be done. X-rays would be interesting to see at least.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It looks like a twin that was partially absorbed while still in the uterus. It looks like the twin's jaw.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
They are called teratomas and aren't unheard of.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

It has to be a chicken. A GMO cougar that produces its own food? It just has to think about whats for dinner and presto. Im glad it wasnt thinking about a cow.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
That is a conjoined twin. Basically the cougar absorbed its twin in the womb. Surprised though usually the mother would have killed a deformed kitten like that. Culling the herd so to speak.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
That's pretty bizarre but I will never understand why anyone would want to kill one of the majestic cats (unless it's eating you or your livestock of course)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
Off topic: For some reason I got a chuckle about someone with the name Asktheanimals commenting on a thread asking about an animal. Struck me as funny.
On topic: Maybe they thought they were putting it out of its misery. They are beautiful animals though.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Could be a natural mutation. People do grow horns.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

That is very possibly real, and if so, mot likely a tumor or a birth defect. Poor thing; in this case, glad it was shot. Would likely have had problems, that had to be painful, and problems can lead to it becoming a threat. Weird deformity, for certain!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Wow, haha, I didn't see that until you mentioned that, but it looks more like a cardinal or a bluejay without the blue color

Or a chicken, that works too
That is just way too weird.
edit on 11-1-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
That's pretty bizarre but I will never understand why anyone would want to kill one of the majestic cats (unless it's eating you or your livestock of course)

I feel that way also. Notice the wording in the article that plays down the murder of this poor animal. They said it was a yearling cougar that was "harvested". Wow, do I hate such disrespect for a creature that was challenged like that and still able to survive in the wild. Shame.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

I'm with you. I did some research on this stuff long ago. It is indeed a parasitic conjoined twin, though they were once also called teratomas in the literature also. It looks like a parasitic craniopagus type of conjoined twin most likely ... and it would be interesting to see an x-ray or MRI, though I doubt the will spend the coin needed to get that done hah

top topics

<<   2 >>

join