It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hello Friends,
I stumbled across this in my travels. It was posted a couple days ago and I thought someone else might end up posting it so I didn't bother. Seeing as it has been two days, figured I might as well throw it up here. While I find it kind of hard to believe, better safe then sorry.

Snippet from article:

Commerce between Europe and North America has literally come to a halt. For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.

Link to Source

That seems a little extreme to me and surely must be a over statement to say the least, but if it is true, seems to me the horizon isn't looking to bright. A complete stop of commerce and materials cant be good.

The source also posted a link to a ship and vessel tracking map. I'm pretty confident members here will know what they are looking at much better then I do. Or have a better map link.
Vessel Tracking Map

The source also seemed pretty full of doom and gloom, but if there is more fire following this smoke, we have bigger problems brewing on a very grand scale.

Hopefully my fellow members can possibly look a little deeper into this and see if we can figure out just how much of this may be true, or to what extent. More brains digging into this have better odds of coming up with more than I can by myself.
Thanks

eta: After reading some of the replies, is there anyway to tell if what Is moving about average to the past couple years? Also, do we have any merchant marine members or anyone married to one and have they been mentioning a drop in work or what have you?
edit on 1/10/16 by onehuman because: added questions

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Maybe a prelude to the coming economic collapse?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Buy more food.

Buy lots of food.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Good to see you on!

Haven't seen you in awhile...

THIS from your link/source
www.superstation95.com...

I wonder if they are connected somehow...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The source also posted a link to a ship and vessel tracking map. I'm pretty confident members here will know what they are looking at much better then I do. Or have a better map link.
The map has a filter. Selecting for cargo ships which are underway shows a good number of vessels.

It's a pretty cool thing.
edit on 1/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

After investigation, I did find that when you "click on" the individual ship (number ? ), it reloads and you can then see their name, origination, destination, and how fast they are traveling...pretty cool map IMO.

I wonder if pirates would use this type of map?
Not asking you specifically...just pondering...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
About 3 years ago I was working with a guy who was a ex dock worker here in the UK, He said that the dock staff always knew months before it publicly happened that there would be a recession or forth coming economic issues as the work load would slowly dried up, I have not forgot that piece of information so I will follow this closely..

If containers and goods are not being moved it is a very bad sign......

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Buy more food.

Buy lots of food.

Stock up on K-Y Jelly!!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wonder if the people thinking this is some portent of doom actually used the map and filtered correctly which shows plenty of ships in transit?
edit on 10-1-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

This lenghty paper should throw some light on the subject of how shipping on a global scale can affect economies.

Enjoy the read.. www.jtscm.co.za...

According to a number of international shipping associations, about 90% of the world’s trade
is carried by the international shipping industry. This confirms that shipping is the most used
mode to facilitate the movement of goods internationally. Shipping is a multi-billion dollar
industry, is globally connected and consists of private and public companies which are either
largely funded by banks or privately owned. In both these types of companies, banks and
financial markets play a big role. The effects in these financial institutions can be simplified as
follows: a change in global economic activity affects global trade. Any change in global trade
(commodities) or financial markets affects the shipping industry positively or negatively.
edit on 10-1-2016 by keenasbro because: to add link

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA
That is exactly one of the reasons why I brought this here. I don't have a lot of experience in using maps like that. I knew other members would and could help with that. All members here have their areas of expertise I like to think.

The last interest I have really is doom and gloom, but if there is some truth to this, example are the average amount of container ships still moving as per usual, or has there been a drop, then I would be interested in that and the why of it.

I would imagine if the ships are slowing down then the truckers loads would be as well. Any trucker members noticing a drop in their hauls?

eta: I pm'ed you TN

edit on 1/10/16 by onehuman because: added note

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If it makes you feel better, the original source for the claim of no shipping is Sorcha Faal.
www.whatdoesitmean.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Cool maps we have ships in Lake Michigan this winter, Hauling cement.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh dear, I got Faaled. Now I feel silly, but thanks for letting me know. Like your link

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

But major points for the cool vessel tracker!! Many thanks!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I use the marine traffic app for work, we unload a couple dozen freighters a year off the Great Lakes. I'm pretty familiar with it in general and my findings are much as the article suggests, though I will admit I don't often look at ocean going vessels. I see a couple people here saying that there are in fact plenty of ships underway in the Atlantic.

That could be though. I may be mistaken. If they who say so could put up a screen shot showing such as proof that would be appreciated as I have all filters to show every vessel checked, and I don't see much difference over the screenshot in the op's link.

Remember, proof is needed by debunkers as well as anyone else.
edit on 1 10 2016 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

You mean proof that there is not no traffic, as claimed by the article in the OP? Provided.

Now, if you want to prove that the level of traffic is unusually low, go for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You mean proof that there is not no traffic, as claimed by the article in the OP? Provided.

Now, if you want to prove that the level of traffic is unusually low, go for it.

Um, sure. I'll buy a plane and go out scouting straight away. In the meantime, maybe a screenshot with the appropriate filters in place showing more ships transiting the Atlantic?

Oh and yes, I don't claim there is no traffic, but there does seem to be very little. Could be the time of year I suppose. I'll have to keep a sharper eye on trans Atlantic traffic to be sure.

But my point is, the traffic is just as the link showed, which kinda makes the link correct in it's information.

Your statement was filters were not in place which would show more vessels,

Show them
edit on 1 10 2016 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

In the meantime, maybe a screenshot with the appropriate filters in place showing more ships transiting the Atlantic?

More than none?
You can see for yourself the claim is bogus.

For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In the meantime, maybe a screenshot with the appropriate filters in place showing more ships transiting the Atlantic?

More than none?
You can see for yourself the claim is bogus.

For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.

I agree the title is crap. There are by my observation 45 in one localised area. Seems kinda lean. Much of the Atlantic is empty, could be the time of year? On fresh water we unloaded our last ship of the season last week. I'm not familiar with international schedules however

top topics

<<   2 >>

join