It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Altruist Vengeance - Part One: The Escape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hola, ATS gamers! I love to create with unconventional tools (food art for my daughter, painting bones, binding dolls from natural components, etc.) which means that Rockstar's new "director mode" for Grand Theft Auto 5 was a perfect challenge. If you make a legit video and play by the rules, this means you can't really have plot-specific dialog, more than one controlled actor at a time, and are limited to the footage you actually make live. Following these limitations makes story telling very challenging which is why you don't see very much plot-driven content created by it yet.

This is the first half of the film I'm working on. It will actually be one continuous film but I'm at a good "to be continued" stopping point so I thought I would share my progress so far. For non-GTA fans, "The Altruists" are a cult who lives in their compound on a mountain in Blaine County. They are cannibals and creepy beyond all doubt, abducting innocent people to take up the mountain. When I first encountered them, I had a super bad nightmare that night about being captured and raped by them so they sort of made playing the game triggering for me to play afterwards. This film has sort of been therapeutic for me to make and is meant to be an empowering tale.

The story is a random girl gets abducted and escapes the compound. She finds a cop but she has been paid off by the cultists and she then has to go on the run. The second hero is my actual character I based on me (minus the awesome tattoos and plus 15 pounds). I think I may make a series based on her helping victims like the main character in a sort of "The Crow"-meets-buddy-film sort of way. The next part will be the actual assault on the compound.

Anyway, it ends sort of abruptly since it isn't completed but just pretend there is "to be continued" flashing at the end. Please watch in full screen with ample volume (volume is very important in a non-dialog story telling project, I've discovered) and tell me what you think. Also, if you are on a smartphone, I suggest waiting until you are at a desktop or tv before watching (pretty please). Keep in mind, I am not done with the editing (a couple of time/ambient audio issues) but I am ready to start filming the actual assault on the compound next so I'm mostly wanting to know if the actual continuity of the story makes sense with no other context. Like, if this were a music video, would the plot be apparent?

*********************WARNING - VIOLENCE, LANGUAGE, AND BRIEF INCIDENTAL NUDITY - VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION**********************
*********************SKEPTICOVERLORD ON USER-INITIATED ACTION*************************

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I just watched. Liked it. But I don't have a headset and not in position to play out loud. So I'm going to sub on YT. I love GTA 5 videos. All the series really. Machinema style film. They are creative and entertaining.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I thought it was cool as heck!

I am not a gamer so, I am not sure what my opinion is worth...LOL
I DO know the GTA series, etc...

It was,, IMO, a little "off" in the beginning at the compound but, once she escaped, it got really interesting.

I love the "heroine"!
She seems like a Bad "A" and I can't wait to see what havoc they will wreak!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
It was,, IMO, a little "off" in the beginning at the compound but, once she escaped, it got really interesting.

Awesome, thank you for the kind words and critique. Opinions from non-gamers are especially helpful since you may not have the full context of what you are watching.

That first compound scene is pretty much me learning the ropes of the GTA engine which is why it doesn't match the ones that follow. Thank you for confirming my suspicions about that scene; I will definitely give it a makeover to make it flow better with the rest.
edit on 10-1-2016 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

YOU are very welcome.

So.....when DO you think you will be ready to share Part 2?????

LOL! I'm an impatient viewer...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

YOU are very welcome.

So.....when DO you think you will be ready to share Part 2?????

LOL! I'm an impatient viewer...

Hah! You are so sweet. After I put my daughter to bed and before my spouse gets home from work, I normally have a window of time for my "nerd-out" time. That's when I've been working on this. I did this in a few days because I've been sick as heck and quarantining myself downstairs, on the sofa. So I'd say... another week or two?

Thank you again; it's nice to hear when I'm gloomy and snotty on the couch.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Great work!!!, i fool around with the editor from time to time , it is a amazing tool even for a editing noob as me.

If you are looking to add cops to your video's you might wanna install LCPDFR Mod , wich allows you to play as a cop.

might give acces to more dept in your story , or just screen fillers.

Ofcourse you do not have to do this , just giving away advice

Anyway good luck with your projects

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Great work!!!, i fool around with the editor from time to time , it is a amazing tool even for a editing noob as me.

If you are looking to add cops to your video's you might wanna install LCPDFR Mod , wich allows you to play as a cop.

might give acces to more dept in your story , or just screen fillers.

Ofcourse you do not have to do this , just giving away advice

Anyway good luck with your projects

I would totally do that but I'm on PS4 (thus no mods). That's what I meant by having to follow all the "legit" rules for using the Rockstar editor. That's why it was so tricky to get those scenes. However, Rockstar just added the "director mode" which allows you to use random pedestrians and other characters for filming but still can't have more than one on-screen at once.

Thank you for the feed back!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
ha, that's was pretty good. i love gtaV. this reminds of an old 3d movie maker for pc i had way back in the day. I had some pretty good flicks made with it, I'd give anything if I had those files.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Alright, it's finished! I changed a lot of the beginning for the purposes of continuity so the whole thing is different.

And, of course, headphones are still recommended.

edit on 19-1-2016 by Abysha because: Youtube screw up

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Awesome!
You nailed it!!!!!

Love it!

You are a success...

Well worth the wait!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you! It was so fun to make; I think I may have a new hobby.

top topics

join