It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woodpecker pecking design

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have a downy woodpecker that comes to my suet feeder every day. Love that bird!

Interesting and informative thread!

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Definitely Mayan.

I have seen woodpeckers making patterns on trees. I don't think that they are doing it for the bugs, when they are hungry they listen and peck. I have seen them dig a big hole and the next day another bird is moving into the house. Now what do the birds pay the woodpecker with is what my question would be. Union Carpenters don't work for nothing.
edit on 9-1-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Definitely Mayan.

I have seen woodpeckers making patterns on trees. I don't think that they are doing it for the bugs, when they are hungry they listen and peck. I have seen them dig a big hole and the next day another bird is moving into the house. Now what do the birds pay the woodpecker with is what my question would be. Union Carpenters don't work for nothing.

There are primary cavity nesters and secondary cavity nesters. This means that woodpeckers will make cavity nests one year and then in subsequent seasons other birds or animals will make use of the cavities. A good example is Pileated woodpeckers who make very large cavities and typically never use them again. Then ducks, Saw-whet owls, flying squirrels etc. take advantage of the cavities for nesting. Occasionally primary cavity nesters will abandon a freshly made or partially made cavity for whatever reason and another species will take over in that first season. Some birds such as Black Capped Chickadees and Northern Flickers are primary and secondary cavity nesters which means they might build a cavity or use an old cavity made by another species, such as a bird house made by humans.

Pileated cavities can be three feet deep. In 2014 I watched a couple of Pileated adults for two weeks while they built a cavity. Here are pics I got after of their chicks being raised, and the final juvenile male the day they fledged. In 2015 I found these Goldeneye duck eggs being brooded in the same cavity.

edit on 10-1-2016 by CraftBuilder because: I wanted to!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What a great thread. We don't have woodpeckers where I live. Would love to see one tho. Fasinatin pattern.
Whowahha whowahha whowahha eheheheh. That my woody wood pecked impersonation. Lame I know but no one else tried.

edit on 10-1-2016 by Cloudbuster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I have been on this site too long. lol
From the title I figured you were talking about this.

Cool thread and great pics Craftbuilder

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Cute little artist!
I wish our harvesting would look so neat and inspiring. The nature is always a wonder!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It looks like the woodpecker is trying to mimic the brick building / wall next to the tree.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've watched the entire BBC series "Birds" with Attenborough several times. I think I've seen that explained as the Sapsucker Woodpecker, who makes those pits on the bark to release sap, which they will come back to feed on until it dries up, then they just carve out another.

If I remember correctly other birds also benefit and feed from the sap.

Here's more info: Sapsucker

Thanks for the images, very interesting

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Thanx for Sharing this here at ATS! It's nice to see these good Positive Posts!

Skidmark I believe mentioned the pattern looked reptilian... (Looking down at My sideskin...) YEP! Looks Reptilian for sure!!! LMAO!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Birds are indeed MUCH smarter than we give them credit for. I imagine there may be something about this woodpecker "design" that we are missing. I have heard that Corvids are some of the smartest birds yet "tested".

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If I had to guess why the patterns are the way they are, I'd guess that's the void in between the sap veins, if that's a thing.

I really get freaked out how smart birds can be when I pay attention. Crows, jays, and that family of bird are highly organized.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: smitastrophe

Great vid! Some birds are quite intelligent!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
another starving artist...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I like it, thank you for sharing. Nature and animals are beautiful and amazing. Humans aren't nearly as special as the myriad of other beings that share the planet. We just think we are.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: smitastrophe
wrong thread sorry
edit on 12-1-2016 by toolgal462 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A true artist!

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Hi Blueracer!
That was a really interesting thread! Thank you!

S&F
jacygirl

edit on 12-1-2016 by jacygirl because: thought it might be thread drift

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Whatever you do, don't go out there and carve a hexagon amongst it's mosaic! It might go all psycho on it's masterpiece.

Just kidding. Cool pic. And cool you had the privilege of seeing it.

edit on 12-1-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Since I started this thread, I hadn't seen him. But today I went by the tree and noticed fresh sap so I knew he had been there. Later, I did see him. Looking at him thru the window, he is very difficult to identify as a yellow-bellied sapsucker. Still looks more like a Downy. Even the size of a Downy. But as CraftBuilder said, it must be a juvenile.

Anyway, I was able to take a pic today, even though it is not very good. It is thru my window and a good 10 ft +/- away. I feel like I was hunting bigfoot lol.

I can walk outside my door and get to about 6 ft from him but he stays on the opposite side of the tree and plays peekaboo with me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join