It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Freemasonry like agreeing to follow a blank contract?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
First, what I'm going to write in this post is based on the following quote being true:

You can't leave Freemasonry, once a Freemason, always a Freemason.

I don't know if that quote is true. Perhaps a Freemason or two will not agree with that statement. But, it's my understanding that it's a true statement.

With that in mind, this is my metaphor for joining Freemasonry:

You're given a ten-page contract where the first paragraph is filled in and there's a place for you to sign on page ten. You're then told that you'll have to follow the entire contract but you won't find out what will be written past the first paragraph for some time. The contents of the contract will be revealed to you slowly over time but you'll be bound by all of it anyway.

Is that a good metaphor for Freemasonry? As I have no first-hand experience with Freemasonry, I'm not sure if I'm right about my metaphor. I believe that the contract slowly being revealed to a person is a good metaphor for progressing through the degrees.

If my metaphor is correct, I question the wisdom of becoming a Freemason. I wouldn't consider doing such a thing under any circumstances.
edit on 9-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

to me freeasserny pertaining to the lower levels is just a way for the ones in charge to sift through the possibility's. the higher ups are obvious,

"moon goers"

"presidents"

"CEOS"

"media moguls"

"insert here"

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Well, your first premise is not true (though you didn't seem to know otherwise): you can leave Freeamasonry. Men can easily demit from Freemasonry.

You're not required to sign a contract without knowing the full details...and if, at any time, you don't agree with the terms, you can walk away.

a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1
And you know this how?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I avoid being overtly lied to when I can.

Nothing is Free.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
By being born we enter into a contract with the Universe
To know this contract is to know one's purpose

However I am not a Mason ... But If Masonry is about gleaning truth to become a better person ... then it is in accord with this Universal Law
Like learning to swim or ride a bicycle ... we never forget what we learn

Waiting on Masons of ATS for their inside views

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Well, I know a Mason. It' basically a networking organisation. It' not really secret nowadays.

People like to make things sound more dramatic than they actually are, IMHO.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I know and have known several Masons ... each is unique
Masonry can be many things to many people

I am guessing it is the oaths one takes which bind brother to brother

Masons! Is this true?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well I think people know going in pretty much what they're getting. Access to a fairly exclusive invitation-only social club, access to a private drinks club. Access to an excellent social network that will help their careers. With a bit of religion tacked on around the edges.

Loads of people leave, or just stop going, let their membership dues lapse.

It's not like there's a Freemason Secret Police that comes round and bullies people into staying active members.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Actually, if you try to quit, Marsellus Wallace will call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' fellows, who'll go to work on whomever is trying to leave Masonry with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

Then we'll call The Wolf who handles clean up.

edit on 9-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
the oaths we take are never to be repudiated. You promise to keep the secrets of a brother when asked, and mason or not, you should always follow that. So the sentiment of never backing out of what you promised is the truth of that statement.

As far as leaving freemasonry, don't pay your dues, and you will be asked to leave. That part is easy.

As with joining and not knowing what it's about, that is one of the lessons and you learn it along the way. It's called trust. You are assured that everything will be OK, but you still have to trust the man who tell you this, as you have no idea what the future holds.

I hope this helps with your question.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

you alright ?

(answer is one of my favorite movie lines of all time)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Joining a chapter of freemasonry is more like taking an oath to be the best person you can be. Then you get to meet a bunch of like minded fellows and you get together once or twice a month to talk about what you can do to make your community a better place.

A couple times a year there are larger gatherings. Where all of the regional chapters get together and talk about freemasonry as a whole and plan on how to get through the next year.

Every once in a while, we have a gathering for the youth organizations, such as DeMolay and the rainbow girls. ( mostly children of masons) where initiations, honors, and awards ceremonies take place. After that, there's usually a formal ball. Thats right, we dance.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Do not be coy ... August has told me of your pipe wielding skills ...

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Thats right, we dance

To the devils music?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Thats actually a different group, but i'm in that one too.

a reply to: artistpoet

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

As far as the quote

You can't leave Freemasonry, once a Freemason, always a Freemason.

That just means that they will always send you mail. Sometimes even after you die.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
One of my favorite Masonic tunes

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm a little late on my dues, don't torch me bro!

No, you can't chop off my little finger yet either. I'll get a check in the mail soon...

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Do you like oak?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Sauron

That actually wasn't that bad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join