It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SEIU Chief Says Trump Can Win, Union Goons Have One-On-Ones With Every Member

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ah, just you don't love corrupt Unions? They force members to pay dues so they can support the Democratic Party. Most members are public employees so a portion of your taxes gets funneled from their salaries to the unions treasure chest to get more Democrats elected. Nice scam!

Now in this case, the Union bosses are pissed because so many of their members may not vote the way they want them to, so they are going to have one-on-one "conversations" with their members.

If this was a private company doing this, they would be sued. Amazing how they get away with this crap.

watchdog.org...
America’s four largest labor unions spent more than $179 million last year promoting big government, and did so using taxpayer money.

www.politico.com...:xWfn
www.thegatewaypundit.com...
redstatewatcher.com...

SEIU Chief Mary Kay Henry says she is “worried” because Donald Trump appeals to “so many” of her union members.

Henry says the nation’s largest public union will be spending millions of taxpayer dollars to try to stop him.

SEIU union goons pressuring membership to stop supporting Trump: "We’re doing one-on-ones with every one of our members right now because 64% of our public members identify as conservative and are much more interested in the Republican debate than the Democratic debate". One of the nation's most influential labor union says it revving up its fight against Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump to keep him out of the White House. Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, said she has directed her 2.1 million members to help defeat the business mogul who has won over many working-class voters.

Henry went on to say that 64% of the SEIU members are conservative — Yet the union spends all of their taxpayer dollars to support radical liberal Democrats!

watchdog.org...

America’s four largest labor unions spent more than $179 million last year promoting big government, and did so using taxpayer money.
By Jason Hart | Watchdog.org

Last year, NEA, SEIU, AFT and AFSCME gave $1.4 million to Mi Familia Vota and $300,000 to National Council of La Raza, activist groups demanding amnesty and discounted in-state college tuition rates for illegal immigrants.

The four unions gave activist group Americans United for Change, a nonprofit promoting President Obama’s agenda, $1,508,500 last year. They paid Ballot Initiative Strategy Center $630,000 for help pushing state minimum-wage hikes.

National Public Pension Coalition, a defender of costly defined-benefit pensions against proposed reforms, received a total of $425,000 from NEA, SEIU, AFT and AFSCME last year.

Americans United for Change wasn’t the only all-purpose progressive group receiving public union money to push the unions’ policy wish list.

Progressive think tank Center for American Progress and its CAP Action arm, both heavily staffed with allies of President Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, received $605,000 from NEA, SEIU, AFT and AFSCME.

Union think tank Economic Policy Institute received $523,000 from the four unions, while union front Jobs With Justice received $361,800. Progressive States Network — now part of the leftist State Innovation Exchange — received $345,000.

Several other progressive nonprofits received large payments from two or three of the top taxpayer-funded unions.

AFSCME, NEA and SEIU gave activist group America Votes $2.1 million, paid left-wing donor network Democracy Alliance $340,000, and gave $100,000 to Democracy Alliance project Committee on States.

In a labor movement shrinking as a percentage of America’s workforce, public-sector unions play an increasingly powerful role.

With 1.6 million and 1.3 million members, respectively, AFT and AFSCME are the largest unions in the AFL-CIO coalition. SEIU has 1.9 million members and steers its own Change to Win coalition, while the independent NEA has nearly 3 million members.

Based on the unions’ annual reports to the U.S. Department of Labor, last year AFSCME spent $65 million on campaign contributions, lobbying and political advocacy ,while SEIU spent $52 million, NEA spent $35 million and AFT spent $27 million.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Public sector unions have no right to exist and represent a threat to the effective operation of government in service to the citizenry at all levels.

F.D.R. Warned Us About Public Sector Unions

It's time to eliminate public sector unions completely.

“It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government.”

That wasn’t Newt Gingrich, or Ron Paul, or Ronald Reagan talking. That was George Meany -- the former president of the A.F.L.-C.I.O -- in 1955. Government unions are unremarkable today, but the labor movement once thought the idea absurd.

Public sector unions insist on laws that serve their interests -- at the expense of the common good.
The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions strike, they strike against taxpayers. F.D.R. considered this “unthinkable and intolerable.”

Government collective bargaining means voters do not have the final say on public policy. Instead their elected representatives must negotiate spending and policy decisions with unions. That is not exactly democratic – a fact that unions once recognized.

edit on 8-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
So whats your point? Somebody says something and that represents all union workers? unionphobia you should be ashamed

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Well, if you're only going to post conservative sources (and eww, GatewayPundit) then I'll post a video from a progressive point of view and shockingly Trump loses to Sanders.

Polls Don't Lie, Trump Would Get BERNED!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
my other question is " how are you forced to pay dues" ?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
So whats your point? Somebody says something and that represents all union workers? unionphobia you should be ashamed

Private and public sector unions are completely different in every way.

While I have reservations about trade unions from an economic perspective, it is a purely intellectual argument and trade unions most certainly have the right to exist (though they shouldn't be allowed to commit violence).

Public sector unions have absolutely no justifiable purpose.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I support unions and what they "intend" to do. There are many localized unions that work very hard at doing what's best for their members, but I have to agree with the OP.

Many unions, such as ASFCME take too much money from their members to pay for political purposes that do not represent the political beliefs of all it's members.

If we are to stand against rulings like Citizens United and the power corporations have over the process, we must also reject the power some unions can have over the process.
edit on 8-1-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Interestingly, I support associations so trade unions can participate in politics. They are in fact political organizations.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of complaints about them but their existence isn't one of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
As a reminder , public sector unions are not to arbitrate with the government of any form. They are in place to arbitrate worker's rights , wages , etc. with the company their members work for. And most , except high level union staff , work for that company as well.Unions are not "corrupted goons" in most cases . And , yes, they do have the right to rail for whatever candidate they support . Be it Trump , Sanders , Obama, Clinton....doesnt matter as long as the employees go along with the support.

Retired Shop Steward...

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Interestingly, I support associations so trade unions can participate in politics. They are in fact political organizations.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of complaints about them but their existence isn't one of them.

I really want to support all of the organizations that lobby for worker's rights, but that opens the door for corporate interests to lobby government, as well.

This is a government for the people and by the people. We cannot allow powered-interests the ability to effect the people's government in either case.

Unions should be localized and only exist to protect worker's rights. Their political influence should be non-existent and only serve to ensure their workers are not subject to abject conditions or wages.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I don't have any accompanying complications since I believe in free association and free speech. I can't have it both ways and wouldn't want to.

Too many people think that public sector unions are the same as trade unions.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I disagree. Working in the public sector and being a union member myself I see first hand how f'n crazy the management of public sector jobs can be. It ranges from personal abuse,unfair practices, to every single time we negotiate a contract with the only factor being the a raise to compensate the cost of inflation(1-2%)and all they want to do is take take take.

Not just a little but a lot like sick days,vacation time, bankable overtime, and even mourners leave. When pressured with a strike in recent years one manager tried to sack our health insurance even though if they payed it the union would reimburse the cost in full. (On the picket line)When asked why by the insurance company they answerd point black not my fault if they get cancer on the picket line I really don't care how much their care cost. That's a quote.

I don't know how all unions operate but in mine we vote on everything from policy to stikes,seems democratic enough for me.

I take great pride in my work providing clean safe drinking water to a community i show up on time and do my damn best. Every person I know uses the product I make myself included. I help make every drop of water in every pipe safe to drink and I am proud of it!

Not every public worker is a lazy S.O.B
Most of us strive to provide for ours and yours every single day. He'll just last week I was covered from head to toe I'm concentrated human filth it was service to my community and I did it gladly....nothing a little tide/Javex and few squirts of purel can't handle.

I work in water treatment/distribution/sewer collection/distribution.

On the subject of forced dues we all pay dues willingly. For the dues I pay I get afforded the protection of my Union and that includes even legal fees and lawyers if it came to that level. You can not pay the union dues but when SHTF your on your own.

My 2 cents

a reply to: greencmp

edit on 8-1-2016 by Athetos because: 🙈

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

As the monopoly potable water provider, striking is unthinkable. You should carefully consider that aspect of this.

Beyond all of that, like every government institution, it's first order of business is to grow. There are even publicly funded full time union positions and many government bureaucracies have staff lobbyists... staff lobbyists.

In case that's not clear, a staff lobbyist is a full time government employee whose job it is to lobby government for increased government.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

If 64% of members lean conservative and 100% of campaign contributions are spent on democrats..?

Do you not see a problem there?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

By choice of keeping your job or losing it. If you don't pay dues, you are booted out of your job. It isn't rocket science.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There is a big difference between public and non-public unions. Most non-public members do vote Rep. to some extent. until you get some Yahoo the doesn't know the difference and starts bad talking all unions. To never have to fill out a job resume again . about 1 percent well worth the price of admission. Not having a job and paying nothing is equal having a one job and paying something , except for the pay check

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Yet another good reason to not remain as a member. If my personal political views would be questioned by some a-wipe union d-head ... Well, after few stitches he'd be ok again

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Indeed. Thats pretty much the main reason I took the the job in fact. Even in the event of a strike legally I would still have to work and provide the water aswell as getting payed to do so. Dont think for a second I'd deny my fellow man acess to clean drinking water. I make it strike or no strike. Sure the union asks I donate my profits in solidarity to the other workers.that however is questionable to me. Perhaps if they felt so strongly about it they should have took the job. I was after all third in line for the position. If they wanted the on call/mandatory weekend work they would have kept the job..no?

You take the job that you want within you seniority/credentials I took it for the security and pay. They declined it for the time and the effort.

Even in the event of downsizing I'll always have a job. Not because I am greedy or because I deserve it. It's because I chose it and stuck with I took the training and do the job day in and day out.

reply to: greencmp

edit on 9-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

By choice of keeping your job or losing it. If you don't pay dues, you are booted out of your job. It isn't rocket science.

If you don't want to pay union dues don;t take a union job. That isn't rocket science either. Like all medical doctors have to go to medical school. That's some BS huh?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I Have a few questions regarding your OP:

I could care less about who these people vote for and/or who their union endorses, but I keep seeing where yourself and others continue referring to this money as "your tax dollars."

At what point does a public employee's salary become his/her money to spend as he/she sees fit?

At what point does your own salary become yours to spend as you see fit?

At what point does a employer lose control over money that he's paid out to employees as salary?

Just because you paid some dollars in taxes, doesn't mean that those dollars forever remain under your control.

Regardless of how these people spend their money, or who they choose to endorse, or what brand of beer they buy with it, it's not your tax dollars anymore!

It ceased to be your tax dollars the moment it got delivered to someone as payroll for work they performed. Same as the paycheck you receive from your employer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join