It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC says Thailand is among 7 top places in the world to live after retiring

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think I'll pass on Thailand for retiring a holiday visit maybe

Once I retire I'm packing my bags and going to Scotland am in love with the highlands. Rain and snow? Meh I'm not bothered I'm from England I'm use to crap weather

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Many Danes have done this.... unfortunately, Thailand is also a place where a lot of russian gangsters like to hand out. I wonder how that will affect the peacefulness of the area in the long run.

But... your money if probably worth triple or almost quadruple if you have some economic sense in your life.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Mark Twain:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263
I suppose it is a matter of priorities. I am retired and I love spending it with my grandchildren. In our campgrounds,road trips,rock hunting. I may even homeschool. I don't need to be with predators and I don't need more money.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I went to Thailand back in 2000 that place is awesome your money was worth 5 times as much and you were treated like a rockstar. One bad point a scumbag father tried offering me sex with his 12 year old daughter for 15 cents. I probably wouldn't have my kidneys if I took that offer.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have to say Thailand is definitely the most tropically beautiful place I've been and had the friendliest people too.
A stunning country all round and a very relaxed pace of life... you could do a lot worse than retire there or even go there on holiday.

edit on 8/1/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thing is most Brits get a fair pension, that will go a lot further in most other countries. Who wants their last days in a retirement home, being looked after by kids on minimum wage zero hour contracts. Sat there waiting for their own kids to come and pay them a visit, when you could be out enjoying the world and all it has to offer. Sunny skies white beaches, cheap booze and interesting food. Might as we'll go out with a bang than a wimper

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

If that is how you picture old age kid, you got a rude awakening. The people in homes are mostly there because of dementia and incontinence, not even thinking about anything except the past. You think most end up like Trump?Considering he has a young wife, no prostate problems there, probably does not creak when he gets out of bed, he probably does not have old injuries from over work or sports that is now arthritis or brain dementia. The old taste buds are dying so you are always looking for what tastes good, then the bad dental care from the past make most food unattainable. Dentures don't replace. And booze,hahahaha, like you pass out or a zombie after two drinks. You are reminded every day your time is real short, boy will I miss my family. But maybe you have good genes and will escape all that. I would enjoy myself now, go for your dreams now, especially in the US.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A good place for retirement is where your dollar goes far, access to good healthcare, great weather, decent activities, and easy access.

I'd guess most people of retirement age would not want to be so far away from their families.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Heh. All snarky aside, it is a VERY popular retirement destination with any number of expat populations.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
As has been brought up by a few posters, these destinations become less feasible if you have a family you want to be around.

For people like myself who have little to no family ties, it makes perfect sense. I am only 31, born in the US of A, but I have already lived in 3 other countries as an adult, and plan to continue doing so. The experience is amazing. I imagine when I am closer to retirement age I will know where I want to settle down.

I like seeing that 2 of the places I have lived are on the list, Panama and Malaysia, and I wouldn't hesitate to retire in either country if I was set to retire today.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: 727Sky

I thought Thailand had a slight Islamic problem because our gas engineer, after looking after our boiler for years has gone out there to retire. He mentioned this but thought it would be alright and said it was a lovely country with very good facilities.

I suppose as Ignorant_ape says "continued democratic governance is maintained."

They do have a deep south problem with a Muslim succession movement which includes bombs and bullets for the unsuspecting.

Somewhere between 500 and 1000 innocents are killed every year to include Police and military personnel; military presence has been increased from 60k to 80,000 boots on the ground .. The worst are the bombs in market places, temples, and schools... roadside bombs seem to be a once a month kinda deal which wait for a target of opportunity to pass by in close proximity to detonate. Beautiful country in the south ... The Thais always have some initative going on for peace in the region... in 1973 it was going on and today 2016 same old crap. newsletter.thaivisa.com... the latest initiative..

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Love Thailand, I'd retire there in a heartbeat.
Beautiful country, Beautiful people.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I thought Thailand had a slight Islamic problem because our gas engineer, after looking after our boiler for years has gone out there to retire. He mentioned this but thought it would be alright and said it was a lovely country with very good facilities.

I suppose as Ignorant_ape says "continued democratic governance is maintained."

They do have a deep south problem with a Muslim succession movement which includes bombs and bullets for the unsuspecting.

Somewhere between 500 and 1000 innocents are killed every year to include Police and military personnel; military presence has been increased from 60k to 80,000 boots on the ground .. The worst are the bombs in market places, temples, and schools... roadside bombs seem to be a once a month kinda deal which wait for a target of opportunity to pass by in close proximity to detonate. Beautiful country in the south ... The Thais always have some initative going on for peace in the region... in 1973 it was going on and today 2016 same old crap. newsletter.thaivisa.com... the latest initiative..

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

Four army troopers narrowly escape death and injury

YALA: Four special force army troopers escaped death and injury when a pickup truck in which they were travelling to join a Children’s Day celebration at a school in Yala’s Bannang Sata district narrowly missed a bomb explosion Friday.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Thailand is only a democracy when its king and its military feel like letting the politicians out to play. But as soon as any attempt is made to change the status quo or reduce the dominance of the ancien régime, out come the uniformed thugs, crack go a few skulls and the government is sent home again.

This, incidentally, is what the OP is pleased to call ‘the rule of law’.

But then, sun-drenched retirement playgrounds favoured by rich Western geriatrics do tend to be hell-holes for their own people, don’t they? Latin American banana republics run by murderous coc aine-addicted tyrants used to be popular with Americans. Some English felt safer and happier in their picturesque Greek Island homes while the junta was in power there than at any other time; many more were happy to patronize the Costa del Sol under Franco. I’m sure you can think of numerous other examples.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Two surprising ones there - Panama and Ecuador.

Wouldn't have thought anywhere in Latin America was particularly safe, especially for a gringo. I'd be interested to know more about what it's like living there.

a reply to: ThePeaceMaker
Good choice.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
Two surprising ones there - Panama and Ecuador.

Wouldn't have thought anywhere in Latin America was particularly safe, especially for a gringo. I'd be interested to know more about what it's like living there.

a reply to: ThePeaceMaker
Good choice.

Why do you perceive Latin America to be dangerous for "gringos"?

I have lived in Mexico as well as Panama, and I felt much safer in both countries than in any of the large cities in the US of A I have lived in/visited. Hell, I was mugged in Denver, CO, USA and woke up in the hospital. Granted I didn't live in Mexico City (and wouldn't), but I also wouldn't live in Chicago or New York or Los Angeles...

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

We're not comparing Latin America to USA, I just want to know what life is like in Ecuador/Panama.

You've lived in Panama so you could give some insightful observations, but don't feel pressured.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

A songs for you to enjoy:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Yes, very good.

Think I'll stay in nice safe little blighty.

Find some nice sheltered accommodation...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join