It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galavant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Anyone else watch this? I kind of love the cheesy goodness of it. It has some good comedy too, if you like that Holy Grail, Princess Bride kind of humor with your fantasy.

Of course, could just be that I'm a total sucker for evil queens too.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

LOL! Me thinks it may be worth watching for the lolz...however, I am pretty sure after a few episodes the comedy will fade and won't be as legendary as Monty Python...but definitely worth the checking out!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Second line...

I think the songs in the series is a good touch and definitely adds value to the show. Hopefully they make them good and original as much as possible

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I watched the first season and last week's episode. I enjoy it quite a bit, but found myself hitting fast forward during a few of the songs. Most of the time the show is pretty funny, but some of it gets a little, meh. I hope they continue to keep it fresh and humorous and not get all political.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I keep meaning to watch this a good friend is a regular extra on the show.

He said it was great fun to make.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Seriously? The grail was the first movie to watch while underage and drunk...Was fun..but really??? Has the "drunk form the first time movie" decended to this crap? Ohh let dance...hmm slapstick,,,,the DANCE...ugh But just MY opinion..oh yes, stupid"big pimping" and then DANCE!!! no real boys/men...and no real women/girls....prove me wrong please(watching again...ung nope nope

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I loved the premiere season and am not disappointed with the first show of the new season.
Yes, very Phthonesque and glad for it. It seems to me to be a put up of Broadway musicals and blows ridicule in its own face. Very campy.

The music is bland with no real themes to go off and sing for the rest of your life but that seems, for the most part to be the trend in Broadway musicals all around. The dancing is pompous but again, who cares, it's so, so, campy. And the lyrics to the music are the best. Joke after joke and funny reference after funny reference bring the lyrics almost up to a par with the works of Eric Idle himself.

I have not recommended this show to others as I know that the level of camp and innuendo is not your general run of the mill pop culture, but for those like me, it is a joy to enjoy.

Thanks for the thread so that I at least can praise it with a few others who enjoy it too.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yep, it's definitely camp....

I mean, the first song of "season 2" (I say this as the first was only like 4 episodes), is "It's a New Season...." So, that should kind of set the tone right there.

Not to mention the "Off With His Shirt" song, LOL. I'm pretty sure that was Kylie Minogue as the evil queen of the Enchanted Forest (a gay pub).

Yep, that was her:
www.smh.com.au...

Another fun thing with the show, guest stars like Ricky Gervais as a wizard who lives in his mom's attic....John Stamos, Rutger Hauer, Weird Al, etc.

edit on 8-1-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Yep, it's definitely camp....

I mean, the first song of "season 2" (I say this as the first was only like 4 episodes), is "It's a New Season...." So, that should kind of set the tone right there.

Not to mention the "Off With His Shirt" song, LOL. I'm pretty sure that was Kylie Minogue as the evil queen of the Enchanted Forest (a gay pub).

Yep, that was her:
www.smh.com.au...

Another fun thing with the show, guest stars like Ricky Gervais as a wizard who lives in his mom's attic....John Stamos, Rutger Hauer, Weird Al, etc.

Did you know that it was filmed in Wales?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I watched it just to see what you were talking about; that and I ran out of things to watch. I'm all caught up now. It didn't take long lol.

I don't like musicals but I liked this. It was funny. My sister in law used to work at a theater (where they had plays and musicals) and she loves stuff like this. I had to tell her about it.

Now that I'm all caught up on that, do you have any suggestions on something else to watch?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well, if you like camp and horror, the new Ash vs. the Evil Dead series. It''s on a pay channel, but you can likely see it on Showbox or Netflix too maybe. Basically Army of Darkness fun.

Some other shows I recently binged on:

Wayward Pines - FBI agent goes looking for a missing comrade, but ends up in a strange town, with a really big twist (so spoiler alert, don't research the show first, just watch).

Hemlock Grove - Edgier than CW shows about vampires and werewolves, though more supernatural than say, True Blood and the like. More high concept than those shows. More drama and a bit darker.

Any of the "American Horror Story" seasons, each season is same actors, but different settings and characters.

"The Blacklist" - James Spader is an ex-CIA international super criminal who turns himself into the FBI, only to trick their task force into eliminating his enemies and competitors one by one.

"Gotham" - I know the comic purists don't like it, but personally I think they did a good job with this, and it's an interesting and fresh take on the Batman franchise. More of a dark gangster show than a superhero show (especially since our hero to be is still hitting puberty)
edit on 11-1-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks! I like Gotham, American Horror Story, and Ash VS Evil Dead. I've been considering Hemlock Grove but didn't know if it was worth the watch. I'll give it a shot. I'll look the others up as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Not sure if you saw the first incarnation of Heroes, but if you liked it, the new incarnation isn't bad. Maybe not as good as the first, but still something I look forward to seeing.

Once Upon A Time, Disney fairy tale themes not withstanding, is actually pretty decent too, and has some GREAT characters, namely Rumplestiltskin and the Evil Queen (did I mention I'm a sucker for an evil queen?). The way they interconnect them is pretty cool, and it's a pretty dark story. The costuming on the show is incredible, and has some really great actors and actresses off and on.

Other favorites now cancelled (but after a good run): Warehouse 13 and Fringe, Dexter, and of course, True Blood. I liked Haven too, but I'm not fully caught up on it.

Something kind of fun about the Warehouse 13 cast. I've had the good fortune to have met them in person, on several occasions, and they basically ARE their characters. Artie and Pete (Sal and Eddie) have that same back and forth banter in real life. If anything, Eddie is even MORE hyper in person (and really unpredictable on a panel). Myka (Joanne) is a bit more quiet in person, but still very smart and reserved, and Claudia (Allison) is just as quirky as her character. All are extremely nice, genuinely love the show and see their costars as family, etc. HG Wells (Jaime) is even sexier in person, and so sweet (and that accent!). I told her she could read the phonebook and it would still sound beautiful, and she said, "Do you have one?"....so nice. Oddly enough, she (her actual name) was named after Jamie Summers, a character on Bionic Woman, played by Lindsay Wagner, who later was a character on the show (Artie's love interest). She too, sees the cast as an extended family and is really great to her fans. She and Lee Majors (Bionic Man) are still good friends.
edit on 12-1-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I liked Dexter, Warehouse 13, and Haven. Thanks for bringing up The Six Million Dollar Man. I loved that and The Bionic Woman when I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yeah, it doesn't hold up though, if you watch it these days. So many of my old favorites are like that. I used to love some really obscure 80's shows, like Mr. Merlin, The Phoenix, Powers of Matthew Starr, Manimal, etc., but they just aren't as watchable now as an adult, hehe. Still good for nostalgia though.

top topics

join