It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: UK Helping Saudi's Yemen Campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

British military experts are advising Saudi forces but the MoD insists they are only ensuring that rules of war are complied with.

British military experts have joined Saudi Arabia's military campaign against rebels in Yemen, provoking renewed calls from human rights groups for a total review of British policy towards the fundamentalist kingdom.

At least 10,000 Yemenis have died in the civil war that is being fought as a proxy conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Now it appears that Britain, already a massive source of weapons and bombs to the Saudi Kingdom, is helping in more direct ways.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) in London insists they are not part of any direct operations but are training the Saudis to comply with the international rules of war.

Exclusive: UK Helping Saudi's Yemen Campaign

Yey for the U.K, ensuring that the Saudis comply with the rules of war. Where would the Middle East be without us, eh?

Probably a United region, but that's beside the point.

What I don't understand is, if we supported The House of Saud to become the U.N's Human Rights masters, why would they need advice on the rules of war?

We're probably over there encouraging them to use as many of the arms they have purchased from U.K weapons manufacturers as they can. Got to keep the orders flooding in, after all George porgy Osborne warned only today that the economy is at a critical stage, even though his austerity measures he has applied to the majority of us were intended to clear the deficit this year.

Good old Blighty. Good old Tories, where there's war, there's money to be made. I bet this turns old call me Dave on BIG time!! His heart must be racing faster than a Tomahawk missile.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

To hell with the saudis! We shouldn't be helping these barbarians!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Good old Blighty. Good old Tories, where there's war, there's money to be made.

and its not like labour have a better track record. .........

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Of course we should, killing civilians and causing utter destruction in yet another Muslim country is what we do best. Although we aren't doing that, we are merely ensuring the Saudis follow the rules. We're effectively acting as Umpire, nothing to see here, seriously, please go back to attacking U.S foreign policy.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Good old Blighty. Good old Tories, where there's war, there's money to be made.

and its not like labour have a better track record. .........

They did prior to the party being taken over by wannabe Tories.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The UK military does not deploy to ensure that correct rules of engagement etc are being followed. That is utter nonsense. The only time there would be deployments of that nature would be in a peace keeping role and would most likely involve the UN.

This stinks of mentoring and advisory roles. The SAS have long been used as a political tool in that sense and especially in the Middle East.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

But, but the M.O.D said it was ensuring rules of war are complied with and I believe them................ Not.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

a reply to: sg1642

But, but the M.O.D said it was ensuring rules of war are complied with and I believe them................ Not.

It says in the article they are advising in targeting. That's either going to be mortars, artillery or calling in air support. As a rule you are taught to avoid collateral damage and the killing of non combatants, destruction of non military targets etc as part of that training. The whole point of it however is to ensure you hit what you want to hit and hit it with force and accuracy.

It's the Saudis who will be deciding what the targets are though not British military personnel.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Interesting timing...

This comes on the heels of the UK - Saudi Arabia UN human rights commission brouhaha...

This thread here - www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-1-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I wonder if this too was some good advice courtesy of the UK Government:

www.salon.com...

Just one day after bombing a center for the blind and Yemen’s chamber of commerce, the Saudi-led coalition dropped widely banned U.S.-made cluster bombs on civilian neighborhoods in the capital Sanaa.

Rights groups forcefully condemned the attack, which they dubbed a war crime in which the U.S. is complicit.

Human Rights Watch said the “inherently indiscriminate nature of cluster munitions makes such attacks serious violations of the laws of war. The deliberate or reckless use of cluster munitions in populated areas amounts to a war crime.”

This is not the first time the Saudi-led coalition has used cluster bombs in civilian areas in Yemen. Human Rights Watch makes it clear that the crime has been “repeated.”

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

British military experts are advising Saudi forces but the MoD insists they are only ensuring that rules of war are complied with.

Pretty dam ironic considering that there is currently a investigation going to into British troops use of torture

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

MoD insists they are only ensuring that rules of war are complied with.

They crack me up.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

And for want of a better expression, 'BOOM goes the dynamite'.

Corbyn needs to call Cameron out on this, he needs to explain what we are actually doing there and if it is merely keeping an eye on them and advising, then why the hell have we allowed them to do that?

Also, why are we allowing them to bomb Iran's Embassy in Yemen?

This is sectarian warfare, so why are we siding with the Sunni's? And please, no one state Geopolitics. It should be keep your nose out politics, but as we are Governed by the lap dogs of the money men, profits before anything, including WWIII.

edit on 7/1/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

MoD insists they are only ensuring that rules of war are complied with.

They crack me up.

They frighten me dude.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well, I am no fan of Saudi Arabia, but they are fighting in support of a majority government against a separatist group called the Houthis, who have on their flag “"God is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam" and who (coincidentally) are supported by Iran.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I just looked it up in the wikipedia. UK is not yet listed under "Saudi coalition".
I knew that wikipedia is not trustworthy.

Edit to add: Here is a comment of Haykal Bafana, who lives in Yemen and does not support either side, but the people's:

Not helping the Saudis much, honestly. | UK Soldiers Helping Saudi's #Yemen

edit on 7-1-2016 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, I am no fan of Saudi Arabia, but they are fighting in support of a majority government against a separatist group called the Houthis, who have on their flag “"God is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam" and who (coincidentally) are supported by Iran.

So what?

It doesn't say anything about the British and using that is pretty lame.

Let's be honest about this, Britain's assistance is keeping the price of oil down, which in turn is keeping inflation extremely low, which is making Osborne look great.

But what's this? It's about to be exposed? Quick get Osborne out there warning how critical the economy is.

We're being played, BIG time.
edit on 7/1/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
All the west are basically on side with the Arabs as it's all about taking out Iran. The Iranians have fallen for this trap in Syria and now in Yemen. The Iranians are going to be taken out of the equation very soon Iraqi/Afghan/Libya style. It's always been on the cards. Britain is in the pack to finish Iran one way or another. All this stuff in the ME is about destroying Iran as a potential threat. Everywhere else has been done over, the jewel in the crown is Iran.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

To hell with the saudis! We shouldn't be helping these barbarians!

Couldn't agree more - the House of Saud created and exported jihad/wahhabism. Plus the humehead ban rights record is awful, it was only this week they beheaded hundreds of oppition/people calling for democracy.

I'm usually here to poo poo conspiracies and Islamasphobia but something is seriously wrong here and the Saudi royals have been our enemy since 1973 - look out for record cheap oil (think it happened this week) or record highs if it all goes wrong; which it has already with the bombing of Iranian embassy.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
double post
edit on 7-1-2016 by bastion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join