It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the true nature of reality?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Science tells us that local realism is an illusion. Test after test violates any notion of local realism in favor of a non local reality.

So what's the true nature of reality? Is there such a thing as a reality that we can actually know?

After we die is the true nature darkness or a void? Does consciousness still exist in some spirit form? Are we in a digital or virtual reality and we just get rebooted into another reality?

I think it's the latter. I think we're approximations of an approxomation and this just continues ad infinitum. We're getting closer to making simulations of the universe and there's already projects working on "resurrecting" your past loved ones and this will allow you to interact with your loved ones in virtual environments.

This avatar will just be an approximation of your past loved one. Now imagine 100 simulated realities with 100 different avatars of past loved ones. Each avatar will just be an approxomation of an approxamation. So what is the true nature of your past loved one? There really isn't one.

This is what I think reality is. It's just an approxomation of something else and it's never exact.

So there could be billions of simulated universes each with a different approxomation of "you" and each version of "you" thinks it's the "real you."

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

You know those dreams that feel like reality, what if you dream selves think the same about this place too?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
These sorts of questions beg drinking.

I dunno, the more I think on this type of thing, the less I'm sure of. So, I try not to think on it too much but, instead, control my thoughts and perceptions, go out and just engage with what appears to be the real world.

That's all I got.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

This topic has come up in like 5 threads today, and I love that we are talking about it.

I do truly believe that there is another "reality", the "other side" as you may call it, where our thoughts and life-energy originates from.

But the veil keeps us separated from it, unless we are dreaming, taking certain psychedelics, or in some kind of trance.

This physical reality can't be all there is (I'm just talking out loud here - no disrespect or offense to anyone who adamantly believes that this physical reality IS all there is - just sharing my thoughts)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I think; therefore, I am. Now, I am aware of myself. I know I am real thus, my perception is real. Even if I am dreaming, it is a real dream, and when I wake up, the dream me is dead, but I am still real. Even if I were in a holographic world, like the matrix, it would be a real holographic world. When unplugged, I die there, butI am real in the real world.

Or simply put, there is no such thing as an unreal thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I made a thread this morning about KRS One and a presentation he made, discussing "speaking things into existence", and our perception of reality based on the language/words we know. VERY interesting stuff if you are interested:

thread: KRS One on Language, Symbolism, God & Immortality

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Interesting thought experiment.

Is this approximation of an approximation more along the lines of the 'error rate' in the simulation, or is this completely endogenous to the simulation? In other words, is this 'reality' predetermined and vice versa?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Lol, I hope not.

If it is so in the world wego to in dreams I am a psycho and a saint. That is how diverse my dreame xperiences have been. In dreams I have been visited by Jesus' spaceship with Him in it and the devil has grabbed hold of my ankle and drag me down as I was trying to climb.

Talking of dreams: Last night I dreamed I was in a house, invited to a party. I got kind of restless and went to explore the garden. There were two Rottweiler dogs in the garden. One was not bothered, but the other ran to me. I tried to befriend it, but it was not having any of that. It started to fight me. I had to beat it up pretty bad. Then I felt guilty and tried to let it know that if it stopped attacking I would back off. Nope, still the beast kept having a go. I had to bash its brains in until it looked really mangled up. Then I was able to escape it. Lol, even all mangled up the beast was still trying to have a go.

I have been thinking about that dream all day analysing it. I know what it means. It is a personal meaning based on my own personal imagery and inner conversation.

So if dreams are the real world I just beat a Rottweiler to within an inch of its life because it would not stop its attack. Lol, I have done much worse in dreams, too.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

It started to fight me. I had to beat it up pretty bad.

Damn, you were dreaming!!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

It started to fight me. I had to beat it up pretty bad.

Damn, you were dreaming!!

Yep, thank goodness. I think in reality I would have quite a few bite marks at the very least.

Reality seems pretty real to me. I think this is the way the Universe expresses itself through material interaction. I wish/hope there is more to it than that. Who knows? There are a few little miracles and strange experiences we can have that defy logic. They make life so much more mysterious and keep it interesting.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The thread should be retitled to

What is the true nature of human reality?

It's basically impossible to discuss anything without the bias of our perspective.

In that, even the most thought out and logical post in this thread will be fundamentally biased to express a view on the human reality, which is a subjective perspective, and not universal reality. Which is an abstract concept, literally the most abstract ?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Once you stop eating mmushrooms, you stop asking yourself these sort of questions. ha ha.. jk

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Reality is a castle built of fog.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You sound like a troubled individual... lol

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
We'll never know fully, our ability to perceive the one we currently exist in is too limited as it is, outside of that we're screwed even contemplating it.

If it doesnt kill us all first it'll be interesting to see how a super advanced AI makes sense of the world around it and can relate it back to us.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

So then, the reality is there is no reality. For real?

So there could be billions of simulated universes each with a different approximation of "you" and each version of "you" thinks it's the "real you."

No matter how you divide it, there is only one Universe and one you. Even if there is another you somewhere, he's doing something different so you can't really call your other you, you.

Its another you, not you.

Which means theres really only one you after all.

Totally unique in all the Universe, how special is that? Don't let it go to your head everyone else is one of a kind, too.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thank you, sir (or madam) ... I KNEW I was a special little snowflake.. .and too late, it went right to my head ...'cause where else would it go??

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
this here is the heart sutra from Buddhism. For some it will make sense for some none : )

But it describes how Buddha himself viewed absolute reality.

Avalokiteshvara
while practicing deeply with
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore,
suddenly discovered that
all of the five Skandhas are equally empty,
and with this realisation
he overcame all Ill-being.

“Listen Sariputra,
this Body itself is Emptiness
and Emptiness itself is this Body.
This Body is not other than Emptiness
and Emptiness is not other than this Body.
The same is true of Feelings,
Perceptions, Mental Formations,
and Consciousness.

“Listen Sariputra,
all phenomena bear the mark of Emptiness;
their true nature is the nature of
no Birth no Death,
no Being no Non-being,
no Defilement no Purity,
no Increasing no Decreasing.

“That is why in Emptiness,
Body, Feelings, Perceptions,
Mental Formations and Consciousness
are not separate self entities.

The Eighteen Realms of Phenomena
which are the six Sense Organs,
the six Sense Objects,
and the six Consciousnesses
are also not separate self entities.

The Twelve Links of Interdependent Arising
and their Extinction
Ill-being, the Causes of Ill-being,
the End of Ill-being, the Path,
insight and attainment,

Whoever can see this
no longer needs anything to attain.

Bodhisattvas who practice
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore
see no more obstacles in their mind,
and because there
are no more obstacles in their mind,
they can overcome all fear,
destroy all wrong perceptions
and realize Perfect Nirvana.

“All Buddhas in the past, present and future
by practicing
are all capable of attaining
Authentic and Perfect Enlightenment.

“Therefore Sariputra,
it should be known that
is a Great Mantra,
the most illuminating mantra,
the highest mantra,
a mantra beyond compare,
the True Wisdom that has the power
to put an end to all kinds of suffering.
Therefore let us proclaim
a mantra to praise
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore.

Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!”

link from where I pasted this:
plumvillage.org...
edit on 1452120089141January411413116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeanWinchester

You sound like a troubled individual... lol

My own life is lovely. I am surrounded by beautiful musical instruments in my lovely cottage by the sea. I do get challenged by situations beyond my control (other people and the authorities). As my dream says I am very strong psychologically and not even a beast like that will overpower me. I like to win. I play to win.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Reality is perception and perception varies from person to person. So no, there is no reality just as there is no time. What is reality is timeless and is aether. Reality is both awake and asleep--it takes many forms because it is not simply one thing but instead layered.

I think that space is akin to time--I wonder if perhaps all of those galaxies and stuff are actually just us, but in the past or future or whatever. Different possibilities and all that. But that's just me guessing blindly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join