It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is The Proof That There Is "Nothing" After Death?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
I would also have to say there is more evidence of an afterlife than evidence of nothing after death.

Evidence for life after death

1. Reincarnation stories
2. Near death experiences
3. astral projection
4. ghost stories and videos
5. Channeled material
6. ancient "mythology"
7. psychedelic experiences
8. Dreams
9. shared dreams/astral projections
10. this new study www.telegraph.co.uk...

None of the above are evidence for what happens AFTER DEATH.

I happen to believe we continue existing as a collection of ideas in the dimension of time...so in a dream-like state with no consciousness of actual space. But it's just conjecture and belief, not evidence.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Died twice, one time the machines had to pump me for three days.
No light, angels or other silly stuff, just fade to black.

K~

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SaddledMummy

because we do not really know.

How then is that enough, to give anyone the dismal outlook that
there is nothing after death?

SnF OP

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Fact is, you can't prove a negative, and this is a perfect example.

Fact is, you can prove a negative. "You can't prove a negative", is a negative.

A second fact is that you will never get a materialist to admit there is a possibility of "life after death." The phrase is self-contradictory. It makes no sense.

Who would admit such an absurdity given the billions of instances proving the exact opposite? Let me guess...

You will never get an idealist to admit he is a physical being, the exact same physical being we bury. Trust me I've tried. I suppose we should encourage their fantasies instead, and dismiss all the rest.

Third fact is that it's interesting how steadfast and adamant a materialist is about his belief, aggressively touting it like a born-again Christian, and severely criticizing anyone who questions it. In any other context the way they treat people who do not share their beliefs would be called racist.

It's not a mere belief that we bury the dead. It's a proven fact. It's not a mere belief that we decompose, turn to bones, and eventually dust. It's a proven fact. However, it is a mere belief that something continues on despite all of this.

Yes ignore them, because that's the only argument you've got.
edit on 6-1-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

No it is not evidence for WHAT happens after death. It is evidence of death not being the complete end of conscious experience though as well as consciousness not being confined to a physical body.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

No it is not evidence for WHAT happens after death. It is evidence of death not being the complete end of conscious experience though as well as consciousness not being confined to a physical body.

You wrote "Evidence for life after death."

Not me.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I think you are trying to describe proponents of Nihilism . Nihilism should equate to "nothing", yet it is most often associated with a belief system characterized by an enthusiastic mental animation of what we might call nothingness. Most philosophers recognize the ultimate simplicity of nihilism, yet almost every intellectual faced with nihilistic thoughts refuses to resist the human urge to literally make something out of nothing. Human nature instinctively fights against any suggestion that absolutely nothing may be in our future. That belief is Instinctive IMO , an existence without purpose would seem Illogical to the human mind . Matter and Energy are theorized to be indestructible , therefore the atoms that make up the human body will survive after physical death and be transformed into something else . A unique Individual Consciousness on the other hand surviving after physical death is still unproven to be a definitive possibility .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Some say that proof is in the body and we have observed what happens to it when death comes. But if such individuals thinking that they are only the mind and body, where is than this mind and body in deep sleep. And if in deep sleep our mind is off, why do we wake up when someone is trying to make a picture on our face...or when stupid alarm turns on?[

but it indicates that after death is not nothing but something : )
It is good list of evidences that materialism is not all there is to this reality.
edit on 1452120971156January561563116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

What else should there be other than mind and body?

Care to elaborate.

And in deep sleep our mind is not "off".
Which you kind of proofed yourselve with your last sentence.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

yes as in, something exists after we die, rather than nothing. You wrote "what happens after death". i don't claim to know that.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

I don't think the consciousness of any one individual (life experiences, memories, etc.) survives upon death, only that consciousness itself continues.

Life goes on as they say, and what are we other than that life? Babies are born from "nothing" every day, so I don't see the issue with believing that we, as life, continue after death in some form.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84
first we should define what I mean by the mind, when I say body and mind.
The mind in this case is your inner you, who thinks and feels. And this faculties are off when in deep sleep...

care to make a quick deep contemplation on your own and try to understand what I am saying?
When you have a twenty minutes of free time, just relax, a few deep breaths, close your eyes and ask yourself this question:

who am I?

the answers you will think might surprise you. But try to be as honest as you can be with yourself and let the intuition flow...
after you get over superficial thoughts about your current life condition the real you will start to surface. Or it should.
edit on 1452122413120January201203116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: SaddledMummy

because we do not really know.

How then is that enough, to give anyone the dismal outlook that
there is nothing after death?

SnF OP

Wiser than me explaining that for this thread endlessly :0)
But yea, if someone need something "more" then there is that believing for Afterlife and Religions. Try to live without beliefs... this is also possible way and gives u ability to think way more independently.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well there is something after death; a slowly decomposing corpse.

What you mean is consciousness. The neurons are not firing, the senses are gone, consciousness can not even survive sleep, except that of flickering vaguely at intervals in R.E.M mode and in a very poorly imagined version of the real world; we have to lose consciousness to maintain a healthy mind, every single night. When we are under the anaesthetic (unless they get it slightly wrong) nearly all of us are unaware. A battery has electricity, but when the battery is flat it is dead. So this is the way the body and mind work. That little voltage of electricity that fires the neurons is gone. The memory cells that hold our identity, the record of our subjective experience that out consciousness draws on are all dead. What is left? I would say pretty much zilch to be honest.

True Christianity as Jesus taught it and the Old Testament even say that we do die. Yes, death, gone. The Pharisees Sect and Jesus, however, believed we would be resurrected (brought back from the dead, from nothingness). It teaches that we are alive in God's memory, not ours. Jesus said that God knew even how many hairs we all have on our heads. John in Revelation wrote of "The Book of Life" where everyone who did not take the mark of the beast is recorded.

I am tossed between Jesus' version and the possible fact that we go to oblivion. Why does the Universe and nature HAVE TO respect our desire for conscious continuation? We might desire that, but there is no clause in life that what we want is requited is there?

I would like it to be as Jesus said, but so much in reality tells me that is not so.

edit on 6-1-2016 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

true christianity believed in reincarnation! Part of your post is false about the true christianity.

look here:
www.near-death.com...

and here:
www.comparativereligion.com...

and here:
www.near-death.com...
edit on 1452122689124January241243116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Life goes on - that's a saying. Its for those sad moments, were you tell yourself life goes on.
It does go om - til death.

Babys don't come from 'nothing'. Its called sperm. But i guess its to late for "the talk" now

That being said: you believe in an ongoing consciousness? As in the morphogenetic field?

What evidence is that believe based on?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
let's narrow it down to: is there consciousness after death? is there a sense of self when our soul is set free or does it just blend in with all the rest of the background static?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

I put "nothing" in quotations for a reason. Yes, physical processes (sex, embryo, sperm, etc.) lead to a baby being formed but not all babies are born alive. The consciousness of that baby, the "I", didn't exist before that baby was born.
edit on 1/6/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

I am meditating a lot, have a degree in Hypnotherapy.
So yes i know there are interesting things going on in our brains/minds.

Even when asleep .
The brain does not shut off while sleeping.
You can measure brainwaves, they switch through all 4 states (alpha, theta, etc).

Never shuts off. Til death.

Added: here some info on sleep patterns:sleepresearch
edit on 6-1-2016 by svetlana84 because: added a link

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: UniFinity
a reply to: Revolution9

true christianity believed in reincarnation! Part of your post is false about the true christianity.

look here:
www.near-death.com...

and here:
www.comparativereligion.com...

and here:
www.near-death.com...

Yes, your links might say it is, but SHOW ME in the Bible where that is so. You can quote all the gnostics you like to me, but I will not consider them true Christianity because to me they are not. Show me where JESUS CHRIST the Lord of Christians says we reincarnate. You will not find that in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John, or any of the other books of the New Testament. You will not find it anywhere in the Old Testament. You will find it in a few very dubious gnostic texts and some crazy out there Rabbis who practise Kabalah.

You can post me all in the links in the world, but I bet you can not find ANYTHING from the Bible that says people reincarnate.

Don't you dare accuse me of being false Mister. From here it looks the other way round.

Now, after your rudeness; your homework is GO FIND ME ANYWHERE CHRIST OR THE PROPHETS said we reincarnate. Go find anywhere John in Revelation says that. You will never find it because it does not exist.

So there.

edit on 6-1-2016 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join