It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Cheif Justice Effectly Bans Same-Sex Marriage in the State

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: Annee

Well that works too lol. Can't say I disagree with that sentiment

I was more speaking in response to this comment from BH's OP regarding law changes.

As many of us have said, the fight for equality has only begun.

Yes, it has just begun - - - because there are always going to be those who try to reject it.

There are still businesses who fight not to have bathroom access for the disabled.

What about abortion rights?

The Boy Scouts have the right to reject an atheist. (yes, I know its a private organization).

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I think the word "Marriage" should be banned, and replaced with "Legal Union".

The church can retain it's term Marriage and everyone is happy.

It makes more sense and then people can clearly see that the two are separate issues.

edit on 7-1-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

It makes more sense and then people can clearly see that the two are separate issues.

NO - - Absolutely NOT!

Separate but Equal has been done and failed.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Cannon law ( Church Law ) is not suppose to recognize any marriages outside the church itself, so State formed marriages in all actuality don't exist.

There is Legal Covenant Marriage available in 3 states.

Only 1% of the population in each state took advantage of this.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

NO - - Absolutely NOT!

Separate but Equal has been done and failed.

They are separate though, and that is the problem. Most people do not understand the laws.

Have you ever been married or are married?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm not sure what good that would do. I will bet you a million dollars that everyone will still say they are married, not "legally united". The common term will still be "married", as well as the terms "husband" and "wife", regardless of whether a church was involved or not. And if that is the case, how will people clearly see the difference?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The church can retain it's term Marriage and everyone is happy.

It's too late for that. Thanks to Christians wanting to prevent blacks from marrying white people, they gave marriage over to the government. Then after that idiocy was struck down, everyone agreed to let the government dole out benefits to married couples so then marriage got intertwined with tax laws. Once all this was done, marriage had become a secular institution within the government. You don't have to like it, but that is just a statement of reality at this point.
edit on 7-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I'm not sure what good that would do. I will bet you a million dollars that everyone will still say they are married, not "legally united". The common term will still be "married", as well as the terms "husband" and "wife", regardless of whether a church was involved or not. And if that is the case, how will people clearly see the difference?

Its a stigma. Anything that creates separation of rights is going to affect society.

Little kids on the playground. "My parents are married", "My parents have a civil union" - - - "You suck, you're not as good as me".

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Covenant Laws are Unconstitutional.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

dictionary.reference.com...

separation of church and state definition The principle that government must maintain an attitude of neutrality toward religion. Many view separation of church and state as required by the First Amendment. The First Amendment not only allows citizens the freedom to practice any religion of their choice, but also prevents the government from officially recognizing or favoring any religion.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Then add on to this sneaky politicians who carefully craft legislation that only applies to one and not the other. Eventually "separate but equal" is only in name only, even legally. We aren't going to make that mistake again. People arguing to create "civil unions" are the same yahoos who argued to make drugs illegal 4 years after repealing Prohibition.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

So why was it ok for marriage to be within the government's domain before gay marriage was even an issue? Again, Christians themselves GAVE marriage to the government in order to be racist. You only have your own bed to lie in. Blame your forefathers for trying to legislate racism.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Covenant Laws are Unconstitutional.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

dictionary.reference.com...

separation of church and state definition The principle that government must maintain an attitude of neutrality toward religion. Many view separation of church and state as required by the First Amendment. The First Amendment not only allows citizens the freedom to practice any religion of their choice, but also prevents the government from officially recognizing or favoring any religion.

Covenant marriage would be by request. Have you ever checked to see what a covenant marriage entails?

No one is forcing it on anyone.

3 states accommodated those who wanted Covenant Marriage and for it to be legal for them.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Of course. Changing the legal term won't accomplish anything, except to divide us even further.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Its a stigma. Anything that creates separation of rights is going to affect society.

Little kids on the playground. "My parents are married", "My parents have a civil union" - - - "You suck, you're not as good as me".

You are blurring the lines again with emotion and drama. That's the entire problem with today's problems people don't understand the laws at all.

Marriages are separate issues when the Church and State are concerned, if you have ever been divorced, or married, and actively got involved then you may understand this a little better.

I was trying to explain what the legal differences, but again people are ignorant to the laws. My focus in college was law.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
dp
edit on 7-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Of course. Changing the legal term won't accomplish anything, except to divide us even further.

Exactly!

It is no one's responsibility today - - that those, in the past, who made Marriage a government contract - - didn't foresee ALL legal adults right to marry as per the Constitution.

One word fits all.

edit on 7-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Marriages are separate issues when the Church and State are concerned, if you have ever been divorced, or married, and actively got involved then you may understand this a little better.

The church has no say in marriages, it is strictly a legal issue since it comes with numerous fiduciary and familial benefits.

edit on 7-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

It should be divide because most people don't understand that it is separate.

We can't force churches to marry gay people, just as gay people should be able to get married via the state and be recognized.

State Marriage = Corporations

Church Marriage = Marriage to God

Separate unions.
edit on 7-1-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The church has no say in marriages, it is strictly a legal issue since it comes with numerous fiduciary and familial benefits.

Did you even read any of my first posts in this thread? smh

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You are blurring the lines again with emotion and drama. That's the entire problem with today's problems people don't understand the laws at all.

I was trying to explain what the legal differences, but again people are ignorant to the laws. My focus in college was law.

No, I'm not.

Government officials made marriage a legal government contract.

THEY took it away from the church and made it a legal contract for everyone.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join