It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Sacked After Grounding Nuclear Submarine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Now I know what your thinking! The Russian Navy has wrecked another of its subs.....Nope! Its the USA this time!

A US submarine commander has lost his job after he grounded an Ohio-class guided missile submarine as it returned to port. The nuclear-powered USS Georgia hit a channel buoy and then grounded as it headed for Kings Bay, Georgia, on 25 November, causing at least $1m in damages.

Sky News

Captain Dave Adams should have gone into the Marines or Army if he loved land that much he had to ground his sub!

Luckly the damage is superficial so no damage to the reactor.
edit on 6-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Far from the first time. Heh. The USS Lake Erie was grounded so hard coming out of Pearl Harbor they want to retire her because of all the damage done. She hasn't been able to deploy since.

I think this is one of the first for an Ohio though. At least it was at Port and not an undersea mount at high speed.

That's one of the SSGNs. Modified for Tomahawk missiles instead of ICBMs.
edit on 1/6/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Still, it's gonna take a few months if not a year to repair this.
Pressure vessels take a lot of work to make, and even more to repair.

People make mistakes, but this was a big one. Hope the guy doesn't take it that hard.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah with only $1 million in damages it likley not that bad and no one was hurt which is the most important thing so we can laugh about it.

Captain(Former) Dave Adams though must be motified at his screw up.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Still, it's gonna take a few months if not a year to repair this.
Pressure vessels take a lot of work to make, and even more to repair.

People make mistakes, but this was a big one. Hope the guy doesn't take it that hard.

Well no one was hurt and there was no damage to the nuclear reactor which is the important thing.

But the former captain deserved to have the book thrown at him as it could have been a lot lot worse.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It took three years and the nose from another boat to fix San Fransisco. Part of that was waiting for the Honolulu to complete her last tour, as well as cutting the bow off San Fransisco.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

If you're going to screw up and ground your boat, he picked the best place to do it.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It took three years and the nose from another boat to fix San Fransisco. Part of that was waiting for the Honolulu to complete her last tour, as well as cutting the bow off San Fransisco.

As expected in an undertaking like that. the amount of quality assurance must have been overwhelming, imagine going through the drawings for that, I wouldn't think they would have it on computer, it would all be printed, probably a few hundred pages thick of blueprint.

Well no one was hurt and there was no damage to the nuclear reactor which is the important thing.

But the former captain deserved to have the book thrown at him as it could have been a lot lot worse.

I agree. The responsibility was put into his hands, and he should take the brunt of it, as should any commander.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I'm actually surprised they were able to get it done that fast honestly. I was thinking more like 5+.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The USS Baton Rouge hit a whale while submerged at high speed and was decommissioned early as a result.

The Georgia probably damaged it's anechoic coating and that's expensive to fix.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Damn whales. They should know to get out of the way.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'm actually surprised they were able to get it done that fast honestly. I was thinking more like 5+.

You'd be surprised.
I build rail cars, and we also build tank cars for various clients, we can pump out 6 complete tank cars ready for paint in a single 24 hour period, that's if all weldments are sound and pass x-ray.
If all goes well this can be achieved day in and out.

An undertaking like repairing a ship would involve a lot more inspection, quality checks, etc then actual work.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I think the whale had the right of way.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Most of it seemed to be cleaning up where the new nose was going on, and getting it repaired enough to fit.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Aardvark pilots used to joke that they had a contract with birds, since they flew so low. The bird would go down, which they did by instinct, and the Vark would go up.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Far from the first time.

You got that right.
It happens.
Some of them you don't hear about.
Some of them aren't really the fault of the captain, but he is the one that is ultimately responsible.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Capt. Marko Ramius would say...

"Schum shingsh on thish shub do nawt reacht well to buoysh."

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The way the military spends money $1M could just be a couple of rivets

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
The way the military spends money $1M could just be a couple of rivets

I was thinking $1M seems like a really small repair bill even without factoring in which Senator's brother-in-law's company would be supplying the touch-up paint! The scratches and small crack in the plastic cover to my rear bumper are going to cost the other guy's insurance company about $1000.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
the only thing that captain will be commanding is a desk until he retires

top topics

<<   2 >>

join