It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I make art sometimes! A painting and a drawing.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise
"Wow ty! My next personal mission is to conquer/understand how light falls on things (particularly a face and body) and then to be able to produce the moods and feelings and images I'm seeing in my minds eye without needing too many references.

"
My suggestion would be instead of traditional sketching perhaps utilize reverse charcoal which is a deductive form of creating contrast and value. Essentially how this is accomplished is by taking soft charcoal and filling the piece of paper or whatever material vehicle you want to use completely dark. Then you utilize and eraser to block out your lightest values instead of sketching outer forms you sketch out the lighter portions and work around your piece that way. IMO it is a great exercise for understanding light and shade. I'll give u an example in a second.

These are reverse charcoal, hope this helps.
edit on 6-1-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I love your charcoal pieces! Yeah the light just glows, specially in second one.

And you know what? It's weird that you suggest this because working on a black canvas has been on my mind lately! I've seen black gesso out there, and I think I'll give it a try one day. As for charcoal... I do have some so I'll have to try this!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I also wanted to add, the imagination is usually a difficult place to start. The images in my experience often times are very blurry, at the most it is a very generalized concept, I find the challenging part is the interpretation of these blurry intangible things into something tangible and real. As artists our power to create something from virtually nothing to something real, is a gift and a curse. Being what it is practicing drawing from life has always given me the ability to better clarify those blurry images, sounds, and sequences in my head into almost a form of not only my own thoughts and inner voice into not only art, but also into a suddle language only a keen eye can hear and a sharp mind to see. You are truly gifted and once you obtain the mastery of these skills you wish to possess, you will in fact have not only change how you can speak to the world but you also will change your ability to communicate with that other you no one else can see. I wish you the best of luck in this journey down this road.

Other forms of light exercises I have learned the greatest deal from is also pointillism (stippling with rapidiograph pens) and varied ink wash. Also in terms of piece construct I find simplifying and undergeneralization the best way to create an emotional and very real experience for an observer. I've been told before I need to get away from my desk in my time off from my career, the oddest part is, is that I could be at my desk all night but not be there at all because there is something always trying to come through as it I really, I spent all night in the places I paint and draw and spend countless hours interacting with the people, situations, and environments I am creating. I am not pretentious enough to consider myself and artist, an illustrator may be more appropriate. Do you find yourself involved in your work in a similar fashion?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well thank you very much, I love your thoughtfulness because I understand and feel them.

Personally, I think my imagination is pretty good, I can see things pretty clearly in my minds eye but when I go to put it down on paper... it's just not what I'm seeing, at all, or feeling maybe. So I just try and try again. I think that I am trying to capture moods and feelings most of all, and a lot of my practice pieces feel "dead" to me, like I professed previously. But I understand that I need to develop the skill(lay down a strong groundwork/foundation) before I can really express anything or even try. At least that's what it feels like I've been doing... working on the skill, then trying things out and seeing what I can do or get away with.

I can draw a face or a house the way it looks, which is fine and all but kind of... boring. So how do I make that face or house look haunted, or magical, or happy? That's what I'm really shooting for in the end... and I do get lost in my works. Some of my best personal pieces are completely intuitive where I hold nothing in my minds eye, I just begin and keep going and it's like a surprise.

But with everything I work on (even practice pieces/school works) I have to love every line, I have to love every mark and shade. I have to love it every bit of the way or I'll lose focus. But I've learned to push forward and keep working at something if I don't immediately love it. And tbh, I'm constantly fixing, reworking, and manipulating things until I absolutely love the sh-t out of it. That's basically the gist of my work I think. Made with love.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Can I ask you, what emotion is it that you hold in such regard that you are really trying to capture? Believe me when I tell you I completely understand you when you were describing drawing mundane things as they are, I dont buy it either. I will be honest with you about the emotions and feelings I try and encapsulate, none of them are pretty, for me the things that come through in my work is mainly rage, anger, sadness, loneliness and lost love/loss. I dont control these things, they just come through me like I have no control over it, like something passing through. What is it u really want to tell us or show us? I'm very much intrigued. Are you an art student? Or just a student? I wont flood your thread with my work but I am trying to do the same thing that you are doing, maybe I can help you with the little bit I've learned and things I have found that has helped inspired me and or moved me in such a way that has transcendently moved from one vehicle to my own. Depending on how you answer the question if you chose to I may be able to help you better.

😁 Anaana in Pajamas not surprised to see you here, your artistic insight is always very sweet and warming (Hi, Hello from Amerika)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
😁 Anaana in Pajamas not surprised to see you here, your artistic insight is always very sweet and warming (Hi, Hello from Amerika)

Hello there yerself. Just seeking to glean more tips and showing my appreciation along the way. I am currently trying (my own patience) to paint an exposition of the Victoria Memorial (from that other thread, if you recall)...it began as a challenge (to myself) to communicate meaning without language, implicitly rather than explicitly. Which then moved to trying it explicitly, more personally interpreted, but without words. I am not well practiced, and tend towards abstract, it is more of a collage with paint but it is serving it's purpose...just struggling to find a way of "finishing it off" or drawing it together. My patience is also running out, it's been a restful and recuperating exercise but not my chosen mode of expression under normal circumstances, reading your posts, and geezlouise's has only further emphasised that...in a good way.

You have a knack, and an inclination, I think, for mentoring.

Take care.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm going to school for Graphic Design, so yes I'm an art student.

There was something that happened when I was very, very little.

I literally had a vision of God(I thought it was Jesus Christ), and I tried to draw what I saw right afterwards for my family. I was 5 or 6 years old and I remember I just could not get those damn crayons to work the way I needed them to, in order to get his face to glow the way I saw it glowing. All I could produce was just a bunch of squiggly lines, lol, which looked more like yellow stinky lines. So I promised God that I would get better so that I would be able to more accurately share what I saw with others. And basically, that's how it begun for me.

It's all a means to communicate something, so you're spot on about that.

But I don't believe in God anymore... not in the way that I used to, anyway. And now I have a taste for the epic, basically. Capturing that epic moment and freezing it in time(but not to overdo it!). The moment that everything makes sense. The things that people keep hidden from themselves and others, suddenly exposed. The inner most private feelings and moments of clarity and strong bursts of emotion. The honest to god raw sh-t that people want to deny and ignore and turn away from, or the stuff that makes you feel like you're in the right place at exactly the right time... that's the stuff that I love. So anger, hate, despair... yeah, these are just a few of my favorite things among countless others. And what I want to communicate varies depending on my mood and the current theme of my life(it changes, emotions are fleeting); but I do feel like I'm working towards a super epic masterpiece, which won't be a painting.

And ultimately it's like a self-vindication thing, I think. Basically like, YEAH THIS IS ME WORLD AND EFF YOU BUT I LOVE YOU TOO BUT EFF YOU IM GONNA SAY THINGS THAT YOU WERE TOO SCARED TO SAY! And yeah. I feel like I'm always chasing after it. Whatever it is. Like it's an itch that's always just out of reach because you can never just say it all at once, and if you could then you'd just say it once and be done with it, right? But you're never satisfied with what you've done, there's always something else missing that could be there and basically... I just keep reworking it until I love it. Back to square one. Made with love.

Dang brother! This got deep quick. But I like it, so continue if you will. And thank you for letting me write.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Anaana
Language controls a directive that's why we use it, it is very limited as a mode of description, thats why ancient peoples imo used glyphs'. Creation of an image says more then writing about what you see if u can simply show someone clearly. This cannot always happen with words, words have an expressive value sure but that is only if you have the means to not only read them but also the prowess to understand them (which includes lots of assumptive properties as to why you think that) purely there truley is something to a picture meaning 1000 words. Our discussion here is still not a causation, ignorant men believe in luck in context luck is in this context all agree they happen to all understand something equally through words, yet when shown something can paint a completely different picture, a picture that provokes, provocation leads to colorful arrays... A place we refer to called cause and effect. Your better off with an artistic venture showing someone as it is freely seen and viewed not only honestly but also unabashed. Showing is difficult to be mid interpreted if presentation is done in context. Show me Victoria and leave me speechless.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

how me Victoria and leave me speechless.

Eeek...that's what I mean...not what I can do, and very much admire those that can. I wanted something that I can dive into, a created landscape through which I can tell stories...part mandala, part icon, part story-board sort of thing. I'm not about to start shaking anyone's sense of the aesthetic...positively at any rate. I am really pleased with it, from that perspective, as a heuristic device it works great...but it is not "art", ya know?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

I'm going to school for Graphic Design, so yes I'm an art student.

There was something that happened when I was very, very little.

I literally had a vision of God(I thought it was Jesus Christ), and I tried to draw what I saw right afterwards for my family. I was 5 or 6 years old and I remember I just could not get those damn crayons to work the way I needed them to, in order to get his face to glow the way I saw it glowing. All I could produce was just a bunch of squiggly lines, lol, which looked more like yellow stinky lines. So I promised God that I would get better so that I would be able to more accurately share what I saw with others. And basically, that's how it begun for me.

It's all a means to communicate something, so you're spot on about that.

But I don't believe in God anymore... not in the way that I used to, anyway. And now I have a taste for the epic, basically. Capturing that epic moment and freezing it in time(but not to overdo it!). The moment that everything makes sense. The things that people keep hidden from themselves and others, suddenly exposed. The inner most private feelings and moments of clarity and strong bursts of emotion. The honest to god raw sh-t that people want to deny and ignore and turn away from, or the stuff that makes you feel like you're in the right place at exactly the right time... that's the stuff that I love. So anger, hate, despair... yeah, these are just a few of my favorite things among countless others. And what I want to communicate varies depending on my mood and the current theme of my life(it changes, emotions are fleeting); but I do feel like I'm working towards a super epic masterpiece, which won't be a painting.

And ultimately it's like a self-vindication thing, I think. Basically like, YEAH THIS IS ME WORLD AND EFF YOU BUT I LOVE YOU TOO BUT EFF YOU IM GONNA SAY THINGS THAT YOU WERE TOO SCARED TO SAY! And yeah. I feel like I'm always chasing after it. Whatever it is. Like it's an itch that's always just out of reach because you can never just say it all at once, and if you could then you'd just say it once and be done with it, right? But you're never satisfied with what you've done, there's always something else missing that could be there and basically... I just keep reworking it until I love it. Back to square one. Made with love.

Dang brother! This got deep quick. But I like it, so continue if you will. And thank you for letting me write.

The ventures of men that cannot agree are always unbecoming of pure ability to make and show the things that are at the deepest foundations of who you are. This is universal because at the core we are almost all the same. Where as one uses words for persuasion those with the power to show become more of a beacon of truth and freedom of thought and interpretation then those wishing to persuade and trick others of similar stature and venue. I have visions too,like I said before and some here that has seen what I do will contest that they are not the things people necessarily want to see yet cannot ignore. Then again this is not about me, its just I see in the quality of your work something very similar to my own. I can read your pictures like a book without a story and understand them.to be honest with you, I think that you would truly benefit from looking at silent horror films and ballet/ Greek theatre (and kabuki) the colorful expressive value without speech to create context imo may help not only inspire you but also give you a deeper appreciation for what it is that you, yourself have the power to do. I am going to tell you that you have the ability to become a very powerful artist.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm not about to start shaking anyone's sense of the aesthetic...positively at any rate.

And at what point did you figure out what my sense of aesthetic is exactly? My point is, even if u feel the image is sub par to others, that is the way you feel, this does not necessarily mean that it doesn't get the job done by making one see something in it as you saw. This is like explaining to me the make up of the rock used to create a statue without of course showing me the ****Ing rock much less telling me its a statue.

just paint it and show it. Your no stranger to things I've done and maybe you agree, the things I do artistically are not exactly a comfortable venture especially for one who likes to put themselves in others shoes. My world is a very dark one. With Louise here I see a similar work in progress only I believe it is going in a differing direction. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
And what about those that wish to speak of illicit drug use and self destruction whilst also trying to emulate and describe the romantic and obscure niche this fills inside of an individual and society? While words act accentuate they do not move in such ways to describe...

Or what about the demonized version of what the body of the female looks like in my country, no one wants to see it, but this is everywhere and these woman are very proud of it, an honest interpretation usually illicits some of the most aggregate responses. The real bitch about it is, this was drawn from real people.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

just paint it and show it. Your no stranger to things I've done and maybe you agree, the things I do artistically are not exactly a comfortable venture especially for one who likes to put themselves in others shoes. My world is a very dark one. With Louise here I see a similar work in progress only I believe it is going in a differing direction. What do you think?

That is the intention, once I have filled in the white bits...and I took your advice elsewhere, about going small...went too small, colouring in using a magnified glass is very frustrating...but also deeply satisfying...but yes, the heuristic intention was for "show and tell" purposes...so all in good time. Encouragement appreciated though.

The difference between you and geez...I wouldn't like to presume too much about either of you, but geez has an earnest innocence, you have a weight of experience. Both are palpable in your respective modes of expression.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Geez has work that reminds me of my own, so much for innocence and idk what weighed experience means.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I like that even more now that I can see all of it.

And, I agree, the artist is leader of the vanguard, but you will note that I said I found it relaxing...no passion for it. Not my medium...if I practiced sure I could get technically better, but I lack that need to express in that way...know what I mean? I admire you all, all the more for it though. I can draw a picture, I cannot "create" in that way, as you and geez are discussing, in the same way, I can use it to explore ideas, and do, but not the same thing.

I will take some time tomorrow for some photos.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Well I'm flattered.

You're right, I think we're similar. I understand you and I like your works ^. I'll look into that stuff, silent films and etc.!

I think we're trying to make peace with the darkness inside of us. Like we feel ashamed about having the body that we have, or having feelings at all. But we know it's stupid to feel ashamed of having a body and having feelings because it's natural to have a body and have feelings, because we're fuggin human and we're born this way and we had no choice so WTF, right? And so we're constantly trying to break free of that shame and the fear and the unbelievable factor(people don't believe you feel certain ways) and we're trying to be ok with our own bodies and feelings and on the most basic levels I think we're all like this, you're right. There is a core place where we are all the same! You're absolutely right I agree.

Maybe we're all trying to reach that core and remind ourselves and others that we can still connect to one another, despite all our differences. But maybe it becomes more of a priority and mission for some people to reach out and connect due to the incredible experiences that they have personally faced. Because existing becomes even more torturous(as if having a body and feelings weren't enough!) when you experience things that the general population don't experience and never will... it sets you apart for sure and then you're left struggling to re-connect and basically, you'll go the extra mile to do so. Where two people might connect easily when they find out they have similar musical tastes, the artist is so far removed from humanity that they can't be satisfied by common tastes, the artist has to write the song in order to connect to humanity. It's kind of sad, really.

Consider the film Gravity; the main character survives deep space and makes it back to earth against all odds, how amazing! But then... imagine when she tries to tell her story. Imagine when she tells someone how she felt during that epic journey... how scared she was. The average human being has never ever been to space so.... it's gonna be hard to try to communicate that fear. Not everyone has faced deep space and death and against all odds lives to tell the tale, so lets face it, not everyone is going to understand or "get it." And it's going to be hard to accept that, too. You're not going to be able to reach everyone with that experience... in fact most people will never, even understand. In a way we're all alone, entirely on our own, in deep space already... just, some people don't know it yet, lol. Still, you can turn your crazy experience into art for sure and maybe you'll reach some people on some basic core level where we're all the same... cause when you're out in deep space... whatever connection there is to be had, you'll take it.

That's what it feels like for me sometimes. Wow. But then there's just doing things for fun too which I'm also a fan of, lol. Not into drugs tho, just sayin.
edit on 6-1-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Geez has work that reminds me of my own, so much for innocence and idk what weighed experience means.

I mean that that darkness, in your work, originates from somewhere and as "audience" it is tangible...reading what geez says to you, I see an emergent or bursting out, but it is almost light upon light that I am seeing in the pictures that she has posted. You're seeing something, I suspect, that I am incapable of seeing.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Really good work, the first pic is the sort of thing I like and would hang. The second, I love the calmness in her face, like she's deep into nothingness, well that's what I see anyway, love them, great job!

Brotherman, awesome, you know I love your stuff, such talent!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Idk much about illicit drug use either, but they are all around us, I can actually feel their pain, but its not really pain it is the frustration and confusion I feel. It really is all around us. I dont use, I never really did. I can deeply connect to your work because it is suddle and delicate. I'd almost suspect your a female except for the atrociously forced penciling of the "U" in your first piece presented in the op, lol that's something Id do sarcastically because I know no one would notice. What else do you have you can show us, I'm very intrigued as I mentioned before. Like also said if I can help you, I will.

I sent you a U2U message as to not farther derail your thread.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

I mean that that darkness, in your work, originates from somewhere and as "audience" it is tangible...reading what geez says to you, I see an emergent or bursting out, but it is almost light upon light that I am seeing in the pictures that she has posted. You're seeing something, I suspect, that I am incapable of seeing.

There isn't much relevant yet as to what I see, and besides that its really not my vision anyways now is it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join