It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blind Gamer Beats Zelda Ocarina of Time After 5 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Terry Garrett is a gamer who doesn't let his lack of sight get in the way of his gaming , he uses the sounds in a game to determine his position in the game and what's happening within the game world , now 5 years after starting the game Terry has completed The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time ........ Amazing !

From one gamer to another

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Holy crap how the heck did he beat the water temple.....seriously....that's some divine intervention right there! Good on him! I wonder what his completion time was in terms of game play.

This is astounding. Cool that he plays other games too.

a reply to: gortex

edit on 5-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I wish I had been there:

"Nice work, buddy! You finally cleared stage one!"

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Nobody flagged this? Seriously, Wtf? Your first flag is from me brother. One gamer to another. 👍

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Very cool.

And just goes to show: never let anyone tell you that you can not do something.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
WOW! Amazing!

My previous job was working at a university in the student disability services office as an adaptive technology coordinator. Working with a great deal of visually impaired students, I was amazed on a daily basis at what they could accomplish.

I am truly in awe how the human body can adapt to such disabilities.

S&F.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Wow, I saw that in passing, but I have to say ... I'll bet he really gets his money's worth out of those games. Most of us who game blow through it in a few days to a week or two at most. It took him 5 years, and I wonder how much exactly he spent? If it was new that's roughly $50. I'd say $10/year for the past 5 years of entertainment is a good buy. That's assuming this was the only game he was playing all that time.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
That is so cool, choked me up. Thanks so much for sharing this story Gortex!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Seconded. Much respect.

Much better than I am.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Having a fantastic surround sound system, I can attest to it's usefulness. I've got super tweeters that produce sound that even I can't hear, lol! This man is absolutely fantastic. I just wish that he used his energy and determination in other ways. Guess that makes me a sourpuss.

A message to gamers everywhere...

Your sh!t is wizeak!

(Mods, please remove video if the title won't fly)

edit on 5-1-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Not mentioned in the video but in polygon they say he's also an engineering student at the University of Colorado.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: eisegesis

Not mentioned in the video but in polygon they say he's also an engineering student at the University of Colorado.

I watched a video of him opening a door to a room with a treasure chest. He knew there was a chest in there with the help of another gamer, but when he walked right past it, looking for it, I lost it. Hell in a hand basket I'm headed. This guy is inspiration to a different kind of blind person. Certain folks may relate to his achievement and then find the strength and willpower to take on something that relates to themselves. This goes beyond gaming. Non-gamers should take note. Or ears, rather...

In a hand basket I say!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Awesome

The only unfortunate thing is that he can't see the beauty of the world he's playing in but regardless that is a nice positive way to end my day so thank you

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Pretty impressive. But ya! Five years? Now that's a lot of trial and error and a bit of guiding me thinks. But cool none the less.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

as a gamer this is awesome. i cant help to think that he had some help by a brother or friend. i agree he probably did the majority but also assistance from time to time. i have no evidence obviously just a thought

either way, well done Mr Gamer - wonder what his next game will be? Elder Scrolls, Falout 4 maybe

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

would he know what beauty is if he cant see?

i can imagine he finds sounds a lot more beautiful than we do.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Here's a link to Terry's Channel with his full series of videos , here's episode one of Zelda.

He also likes to play OddWorld New n Tasty , anyone who's played an OddWorld game knows how hard they are.

And Terry in the final Battle at Gannon's Tower , now that's what I call patience.

edit on 6-1-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Thanks for this i did check it out the video. I can see Oddworld being a bit easier to a degree.

Humans are smart - but must of had a little help

either way no credit lost to the guy. Probably kick my a$$ either way on games.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
from a gamecreator to a gamer....and from a gamer to new amazebruhsss!!
bravo!
by far prob one of thee best fav game of mine....just remembering the freaking water temple....ugh! headaches....AND I CAN SEE!.........
puts me to shame...
as a fellow hooman to anuda...dude got skillz

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

He also likes to play OddWorld New n Tasty , anyone who's played an OddWorld game knows how hard they are.

My favorite game, and still super-challenging to even the most capable gamers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join