It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't a "Progressive" also be a "Patriot"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

What is your stance on the 2nd Amendment, as a progressive?

FWIW, I would consider myself a patriot, but those who embrace certain ideologies, probably aren't, since they can't see past their political blinders of their given ideology.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lipton1

Why not?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Yes, as long as you vote in the election you are being patriotic, no matter who you vote for!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, it was pretty progressive for the era in which it was conceived, was it not? Times were vastly different then than they are now.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

With all due respect, I totally disagree with this.

"Progress" is an open-ended concept.
Are we making progress? (I consider the well-being of all citizens of our country when I wonder about progress).
Or are we stagnating?

My mistake. I thought we were talking about progressives and progressivism, not "progress".

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

What is your stance on the 2nd Amendment, as a progressive?

There are perhaps a dozen firearms in our home. I know how to shoot them - the ones I have set aside for my own use are handguns. One is a revolver, the other a semi-auto.

That is my stance on the 2nd Amendment.

Then again, I also think that a Mental Health investigation is important (I come from the Mental/Behavioral Health field).

I know how to shoot, how to use a bow, how to throw a knife, and some hand-to-hand combat stuff.....
my veteran husband is my coach.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: breakingbs

I gave you the working definitions (for purposes of this thread) in the OP.

I know that dammit.
I also dont know anyone who says they're against hu man rights, pollutes the environment out of spite, beats puppies, and everything else. What I am saying is that its whats in your mind that matters, and I dont know that, not even from this thread.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

My mistake. I thought we were talking about progressives and progressivism, not "progress".

Sorry, Les - but...
how is there a difference?

link   

Oh my word, I love this question and it's one I've asked before. It's frustrating how conservatives use the word almost as a pejorative against liberals by branding it with imagery of big trucks, guns, and bibles (and of course, tri-corner hats).

If I were to truly rebrand "patriotism", it would consist of showcasing people who demonstrated true American values like Dr. King, the people at Stonewall, immigrants, scientists, laborers, etc. It would highlight our various backgrounds and our unique heritage of associated entities making the best of what they can. The imagery would be science books instead of bibles, voting ballots instead of guns, and solar farms instead of big trucks.

I am a patriot but hesitate to use the word since it has become an American code word for anti-anything-other-than-white-Christian-conservatives. I know that's not what it means nor do all who use it think this way but it has, like it or not, become a cliche colloquialism unique to our culture.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

I also dont know anyone who says they're against hu man rights, pollutes the environment out of spite, beats puppies, and everything else. What I am saying is that its whats in your mind that matters, and I dont know that, not even from this thread.

So - would you acknowledge that it's possible for a 'progressive' to also be a 'patriot'?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yep.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

"Progress" is an open-ended concept.
Are we making progress? (I consider the well-being of all citizens of our country when I wonder about progress).
Or are we stagnating?

Stagnating would be preferential to what is happening now. I hold as evidence the intellectual regressive mind set that Donald Trump espouses. "Make the Mexicans Pay for it"

edit on 5-1-2016 by olaru12 because: #%^GH%&&M

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Sorry, Les - but...
how is there a difference?

Only progressives consider what they are doing "progress".

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I am a patriot but hesitate to use the word since it has become an American code word for anti-anything-other-than-white-Christian-conservatives. I know that's not what it means nor do all who use it think this way but it has, like it or not, become a cliche colloquialism unique to our culture.

We can tell how patriotic you are in how you consider and treat a vast section of the population.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Only progressives consider what they are doing "progress".

Again, forgive me for not comprehending......

Progress is a term that means 'move forward.'

Can you explain to me how stagnating in the ideas of a long-gone century is human progress?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Well, it was pretty progressive for the era in which it was conceived, was it not? Times were vastly different then than they are now.

Patriot is in the eye of the beholder. Hitler's followers probably considered themselves patriotic, Stalin's army probably considered themselves patriotic.

For me, patriotism is about freedom.

But I'm sure everyone has their own definition of patriotism.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm fairly certain the British loyalists in the colonies would have considered our founding fathers quite "liberal" or "progressive"

It is more probable they saw them as traitors who where committing treason to The Crown.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Didn't 0bama call some group just rebels fighting for freedom???

Also, wasn't Jabba-the-Moore using that term for Al Qaeda?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

We can tell how patriotic you are in how you consider and treat a vast section of the population.

This is how I treat people:

The Progressive champions peace, social and economic justice, civil rights, civil liberties, human rights, a preserved environment, and a reinvigorated democracy. Its bedrock values are nonviolence and freedom of speech.

How is this offensive to your sensibilities?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'm a progressive and I love my country, particularly our constitutional rights, a lot of the people, and our natural scenery (and the ridiculous variety of music, foods, and eye candy, heh heh). But I don't particularly care for some of our laws, traditions, and institutions. So I work to improve the system we have by both educating our public and by working towards improvements in those laws & institutions. So in that regard, I'm both a progressive and a patriot.

However, I think the word "patriot" has been hijacked. There's nothing "patriotic" about preparing to wage war with the country you claim to love. And there's nothing "patriotic" about constantly threatening to secede from the country you supposedly love when you don't get your way. Being "patriotic" also doesn't mean being blindly obedient to your government, like the "patriots" claim progressives should do when we protest, boycott, and oppose things. Otherwise, all of these right wing "patriots" would shut up & get in line when the government makes any decision lol.

So to answer your question, yes. It's very possible.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join