It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ryan Bundy Just a Mormon Extremist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Bundy also confirmed to OPB that the family’s motivation in this occupation is rooted in belief that their action is the modern-day equivalent of Captain Moroni’s “title of liberty.”

“This is just like that,” Bundy said. “My Mormonism plays a large part in what I do … the biggest part.”

www.opb.org...

While the actions of Bundy cannot, so far, be legally considered to be domestic terrorism, his call to arms for fellow "patriots" in support of his occupation of federal property and rumours that he has brought children into the site are troubling.

Is Bundy an extremist or is his viewpoint typical of Mormons? Should the government be keeping a watchful eye on temples across the country?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I do not know if he is an extremist, they very well could become extremist. The question becomes at what point of discontent and general apathy towards the government and its actions do you become an extremist?I know one thing though,and while I believe it is not time to take up arms, I fully expect more of this type of thing(militia men taking up arms, and civil unrest) so long as "abuse of power" is seen as just the way it is,rather than a dark history in America.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
Bundy is taking his action in the name of his religion. How does this separate him from Muslims who act with what they see as a call to from their religion.

That's why I ask, is Bundy typical of Mormonism?
edit on 1/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I think he is doing what many others should do. He has grown a pair like other men should.

I say good luck to him, but I think the government will go after him big time for this.

I would like to do the same thing here in the UK. It would be my greatest Genie wish believe me. I have nothing but contempt for modern government. It is authoritarian and no longer resembles true democracy.

I like to see men who are brave and stand up to injustice. His cause is just. What his religion is does not concern me.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Utah War

Fort Bridger & the Utah War

Theodemocracy

edit on 5-1-2016 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I have nothing but contempt for modern government. It is authoritarian and no longer resembles true democracy.

It should be pointed out that the United States was not conceived as a true democracy.
But if modern government is not your cup of tea, what is? Medieval government? A theocracy?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Two side sitting each other out. Place your bets.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
hmm .. how is it different when someone stands up against a tyrannical gov't vs. a gov't who tryannically steals your money, forces your family to war with other countries and then demands you OBEY them or else? If this was 200 yrs ago, the Men would have told their Govt to shove it so far up their pipe it would never see daylight again. Oh wait... they did that..

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I'm not sure his religion has anything to do with this, the contempt that he has, is felt across religious and racial boundaries,here in America.
edit on 5-1-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Since Bundy can't seem to find much support. The sitting won't go on long.
Read the article.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

forces your family to war with other countries and then demands you OBEY them or else? If this was 200 yrs ago, the Men would have told their Govt to shove it so far up their pipe it would never see daylight again. Oh wait... they did that..

Yes. I did that more than 40 years ago. And I didn't break the law in the process. Nor did I do it in the name of my religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I think people are too wussified to stand up against a tryannical Govt so they cower in fear because they've been neutered, you can't really blame them for it, look at Society it's a mess.

link   

I'm not sure his religion has anything to do with this, t
Then you didn't read what he said.

link   
Personally I think all mormons are extremists in their own sense. Their ideology calls for some extreme things. Give them a 2nd amendment, and well they take over random government outposts in forests, then willingly leave.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

The question becomes at what point of discontent and general apathy towards the government and its actions do you become an extremist?I

Tough to answer. I would add to your question , when does one become a
"follower" of one. Extremists can be very charismatic to many who wish to follow.
Caution is advised

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

How can you break a law that is already broken(that's the way many see it), it's interesting to see you come up on two sides of this story. The black population that experiences oppression by "abuse of power" you defend? and yet here you seem to have another position.

When is it ok to break the law in defense of what you believe in?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

You did what you were told to do, what society required of you and why? In the name of War. Young men dying for Old men who love power and money, yes it is sad, and i wish it had never happened because it wasn't necessary. You didn't break the law, But the creatures running this planet have, time and time and time again, and no one questions them ever because? They're f'cking good at what they do to people. They're liars and thieves and no one stands up to them because?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Is Bundy an extremist or is his viewpoint typical of Mormons? Should the government be keeping a watchful eye on temples across the country?

Perhaps the Bundy clan is just a small example of the growing rate of disgruntled citizenry that seems to be spreading across the land.

Unfortunately there's no actual study on the subject, it's just my personal observation... but there sure does seem to be the faint smell of revolution rising in the air these days that's getting stronger by the day.

Are the Bundys extremists ?
No... disgruntled, yes.
But extremists ? No.
Or at least not yet.

As much as I can appreciate your humorous little jab at irony with the "watchful eye on all temples" comment, I think we can all surmise that the Bundy clan does not speak for, nor represent, the mindset of all mormons.

Albeit, I think it's pretty safe to say that the alphabet agencies already are well aware of and keeping a close watch on these types of soapboxers.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

You did what you were told to do, what society required of you and why? In the name of War.
No. I protested vehemently against a war which was unjust, unnecessary, and uncalled for. Peacefully, as did millions of others. The radicals did not help the cause, they hindered it. Because of the actions of the radicals, peaceful protesters were killed.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The black population that experiences oppression by "abuse of power" you defend?

I defend neither violence or the threat of violence.
Bundy, with his call to other armed "patriots", was inciting violence.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join