It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING - Obama to use Executive actions, bypassing Congress, to force gun control measures.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

These aren't new gun laws. There is really nothing new here except that he plans on hiring a bunch of people to actually uphold the laws that already exist. I've been screaming this for years. What good are new laws when you don't have the manpower to enforce the laws you already have? But I'm sure this will make Obama the best thing ever! In the land of the blind...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

I am not going to touch on the already well covered discussions on the rights of gun laws, or the unique American situation where citizens are allowed to arm themselves for protection against their own government (If I have got that right as it was explained to me by an American friend over a few beers).

Ironically when some people are thinking of arming themselves rather than becoming victims of terrorism, especially in Europe and the UK - in order to give themselves a chance of survival as opposed to being gun fodder, Obama's timing seems weird. Obviously unarmed citizens are easier to govern than citizens who say "No" and are armed.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
*Keep guns out of the wrong hands through background checks*
They make a big deal about buying online, when that's not an issue at all. If you buy a brand new firearm online, it has to be sent to a Federal Firearm Licensed dealer, once that happens the FFL dealer runs the background check before you can leave the store with it.

*Make our communities safer from gun violence*
Police departments have tried that, but the federal government claims the police are profiling people when they do. Heaven forbid you keep an eye on the people that fit the profile.

*Increase mental health treatment and reporting to the background check system*
Increasing mental health treatment is a plus, long as only doctors are able to say who is unfit to own a weapon.

*Shape the future of gun safety technology*
No one going trust "smart guns", technology can fail, plus that would open the door to allow the government to demand the right to disable the gun remotely once technology is available.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The Caliphate of the US in 10...9...8...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Yeah, loophole. You do a strawman purchase and don't care about the "law".

As if you buying a bunch of guns, then selling them to a 3rd party who takes them to another state and sells them on the street is very worrisome.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How do you keep immature people from owning guns?

You can't. You can't legislate away stupid and irresponsible.

Gun owners need to police their own, and come up with rules they're okay with to cut down on gun crime.

"But...it's criminals!"

And we seem to have more criminals here than everywhere else on Earth? Why is that...?

Look, we scream that the police need to police themselves, that the black community needs to police their own people and keep them in line, but gun people? Oh heavens no, they're not responsible for anything/anyone!

These folks want everyone else to be accountable for the actions of their peers, but when the same applies to them? Nope, different store, not the same, doesn't matter, we're to good to be held the same standards.

Guns are obviously getting from the factory to the black market. How that is happening is not because they're being stolen out of people's homes. Stolen guns make up for the smallest percentage of all black market guns.

Shady FFL's and strawmen purchases are where the bulk of black market guns make their way onto the black market. So gun people, shape up your frigging community and tighten down. Know a shady FFL? Report a shady FFL! Hear about a strawman purchase? Report a strawman purchase! Get involved and come up with new and creative ways to police your own community of peers.

If you gun people don't take care of your own mess, someone else is going to come along and do it -- and you won't like how they decide it gets done.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Michael Ruppert was right

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

under the guise of "for your safety"

All the meanwhile they are also using the media (very effectively) to divide the masses, using race baiting and whatever else to turn us against each other. They love it.. we're so predictable.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

*Shape the future of gun safety technology* No one going trust "smart guns", technology can fail, plus that would open the door to allow the government to demand the right to disable the gun remotely once technology is available.

Sounds like they want to do to guns what they did to cellphones....we all know how awesome it is that they can track, listen, and watch from that nice little tracking device in your pocket...

There is absolutely NO WAY that the gov would use it nefariously....

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I read most of the posts to try and avoid repeating any ideas. My take is that , here's another law or action or order that makes me be licensed by the government to sell or buy my property. Another infringement and technicality that will have little effect on crimes with guns.
Also, I called up the BATFE in Madison , Wi. to get their take on this new Obama action. They told me there is nothing definite yet and is not in effect. They said an effective date would be forthcoming after an executive order or action is written and sent to them.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Question, wont Obamas gun control excutive action , in regards to doctors, Violate HIPA laws because the doctors will have to report to the GOV about their patients?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Executive Orders: Issued by every President including George Washington.

Executive Branch: Establishes rules, policies and procedures for the enforcement (execution) of the Nation's laws ... has also happened in every Administration, including George Washington's.

US Constitution and Bill of Rights: Still intact after 226 years despite the often rank stupidity of the American People.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Executive Orders: Issued by every President including George Washington.

Executive Branch: Establishes rules, policies and procedures for the enforcement (execution) of the Nation's laws ... has also happened in every Administration, including George Washington's.

US Constitution and Bill of Rights: Still intact after 226 years despite the often rank stupidity of the American People.

Awww... Come on don't you just love the people going on and on about what the Constitution says while not having read or understood a single thing from it (except maybe half of the 2nd Amendment)?

edit on 5-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
People should keep in mind what the new DSM contains as far as new mental illnesses. Most of them are made up anyway. There is nobody who could not be diagnosed under the official guidelines as mentally ill at any point in their lives. Do not cheer this on it is a way to remove guns from a huge segment of the population. Granted you may say the "mass shooters" are mentally ill but of the tens of millions "diagnosed" with mental illness how many mass shootings are there? You see, it's like the gun statistics themselves.

Pro-2nd supporters getting on board with the "mental health control, yeah!" concept are making that same "when they came for ____ I did nothing because I was not ____" mistake.

link   

This all sounds pretty dang ridiculous to me. To buy a gun online I need to provide the name/address of an FFL, my local FFL would then need to send their license to the seller who would then mail the firearm to the FFL. I would then complete my background check with my local FFL and pay a transfer fee before I get my firearm. How does this change?

These executive actions do nothing to keep people safe. I would like a definition of "...in the business of selling firearms." It sounds like the private sell of firearms would be made illegal and that all sells would require an FFL. If that is the case, then FFLs stand to make a lot of money! Time to get a license and make some coin off the backs of responsible gun owners!

I see nothing in these EOs that would "deconstruct" the 2nd amendment; nor do I see anything that would prevent another mass shooting. Just seems like a bunch of hooey to show his administration is taking action.

link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Question, wont Obamas gun control excutive action , in regards to doctors, Violate HIPA laws because the doctors will have to report to the GOV about their patients?

They're bypassing HIPAA.

Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule

federalregister.gov/2015-33181

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

They're bypassing HIPAA.

Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule

Great another case where the administration is violating(read bypassing) one law to enforce there own idea of how laws should go...

So....laws dont matter

federalregister.gov/2015-33181

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
It Violates the rights of Law abiding Citizens, and Stops Nothing

This always boggles me a bit...

Gun laws are not effective! They do nothing!...They violate the 2nd amendment!!...Which is it?

If the laws have no effect why does the NRA moan about them?

These are executive actions (not laws) directing the ATF and FBI to conduct more background checks and to whom they should conduct the checks on...otherwise as with all "administration" actions they direct how current laws are administered.

I own guns. My family owns guns. I prefer as many background checks as possible and every step that can be taken to keep guns out of criminal or crazy hands. I have no fear of anyone coming for my guns and I question the thinking or motivations of those that fear common sense background checks.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'm not saying that purchasing a firearm that has no transaction record is a good thing. I'm not saying that buying a firearm that has no record or registration is a good thing.

I'm not saying anything of the sort.

But I can imagine that this will occur to avoid government encroachment of our rights.

That's ALL I will say on the subject.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

This all sounds pretty dang ridiculous to me. To buy a gun online I need to provide the name/address of an FFL, my local FFL would then need to send their license to the seller who would then mail the firearm to the FFL. I would then complete my background check with my local FFL and pay a transfer fee before I get my firearm. How does this change?

Private transactions through online gun auction sites...Here is just one example.

Armslist, a website devoted specifically to the private sales of guns and related gear. The site allows private sellers to offer guns for sale to other private purchasers. Buyers can contact sellers via phone or email to set up the sale, and avoid going through a federal background check or even leaving a paper trail. Such transactions are more anonymous than purchasing a weapon at a gun show, where people who can’t pass a background check can buy large quantities of guns.

Armslist quickly took off. By 2011, it was one of the largest online gun sites in the country, with more than 13,000 active listings for firearms. The site also had another, more dubious distinction: Weapons obtained through the site have been tied to the murders of four people and one suicide. An undercover New York City investigation (PDF) found that the site likely was a major conduit for illegal gun sales. Investigators discovered that 54 percent of the sellers they contacted through the site were openly willing to sell firearms to people who admitted they couldn't pass a background check (which is a felony, incidentally).

www.motherjones.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join