It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well, I feel that this can be good and also bad. If they consider anyone on antidepressants or any mood stabilizer as mentally ill, then it could be a problem. If they say someone cannot own a gun because someone in their household is on one of these pills, that can be a problem.

I can see this misused. Many anti-epileptic drugs can be also considered anti-psychotic meds. Now if they look at the medications they can disqualify many more people. How about pain relievers like Anexia which are considered narcotics, many people have taken them for pain occasionally.

There needs to be safeguards or they will use precedence to expand the law because that is what they always do. We voted to buckle up the kids and they used that as precedence to pass a law that all front seat people need to be buckled up. That is just an example, we never voted on the second part.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

If they consider anyone on antidepressants or any mood stabilizer as mentally ill, then it could be a problem.

Read this:
s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

For a "Constitutional scholar" Pres Obama sure likes to avoid that whole three EQUAL branches of the US Government thing. He needs to be told his "pen and celly" do NOT supercede the Judicial and Legislative branches. Nor does his empirical "orders" make his gun missive any more binding than Climate "kinda, sorta, treaty thingy" is.

Governance by sound byte. Again.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Glinda

He needs to be told his "pen and celly" do NOT supercede the Judicial and Legislative branches.

He cannot do either one.
Perhaps you should learn something about what an execute action is and whether or not it just might be subject to judicial review.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: rickymouse

If they consider anyone on antidepressants or any mood stabilizer as mentally ill, then it could be a problem.

Read this:
s3.amazonaws.com...

It's language such as this that makes my skin crawl.

or otherwise determined by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority to be a danger to themselves or others or unable to manage their own affairs, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

how do you propose to ban a whole federally protected class from owning guns? can a law be legal saying no women can own guns? can a law be legal saying no gays can own guns? the supreme court has already ruled that laws baning blacks from owning guns are unconsitutional so how can you immediately refulate another protected class from a god given(naturaly given) right ,his new eos wont stand consitutional muster every one from NAMMI to the NRA is pissed off about this. medical records should be private or are we gonna start publishing peoples HIV and other STD results online in the interests of public safety . unless you have been 5150ed the government or any one has NO right to know about your medical reccords

www.politico.com... all this will do is get other mentally ill people who would have considered getting treatement to just say f it and go under ground and attempt to mange our illnesses on our own ,i will never set foot in a mental health drs apointment after this after getting my last doctor to get me certified as of sound body and mind. IF we cant trust your doctors we wont even attempt treatment ,medical privacy and stigma matters to us
edit on 4-1-2016 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

the ever expanding DSM V and new conditons are added with each new installment

www.alliancebhc.org... id wager something like 40-60 percent of ats could be classifeid under such terms
edit on 4-1-2016 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This thread is definitive proof that gun-worshippers are irrational. If they passed a law saying convicted terrorists couldn't buy guns they would be against it.

At this point gun worship is just as crazy and dangerous as any muslim terrorist ideology.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It's language such as this that makes my skin crawl.

I suppose it makes your skin crawl that someone can be declared incompetent to stand trial?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This thread is definitive proof that gun-worshippers are irrational. If they passed a law saying convicted terrorists couldn't buy guns they would be against it.

At this point gun worship is just as crazy and dangerous as any muslim terrorist ideology.
FREEDOM is what was afforded you with GUNS...Grow up

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You know what I find funny and sad at the same time is despite all the things Obama has done and all the fear mongering the GOP has produced, the GOP still couldn't nor can they provide a quality candidate to combat the DNC.

The last election should have been a landslide and so should this one for the GOP.

However it appears to me that the GOP loyalist here on ATS and that I know in real life, continue to be concerned about what the Left and what Obama is doing rather than looking at their own party.

Funnier yet and even sadder is that a GOP loyalist has no chance to ever change the mind nor the course of the Democrat party ,but has every power to change their own party.

However, they continue to ignore the faults of their party which they can change and concentrate on blaming Obama and the Democrats for everything which they have no power over. Its no wonder why such a crappy candidate such as Trump can be leading the GOP.

If you haven't been watching the finger pointing strategy and the "vote for the lesser evil" GOP slogan hasn't panned out to well for the GOP.

So if you are a republican and really want to implement republican ideals I suggest you take a hard look at your own party as they are spending and growing gov't on par with the Democrats.

edit on 56131America/ChicagoMon, 04 Jan 2016 23:56:02 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm still waiting to hear how it couldn't be misused.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

watch trumps numbers after this ,the more obama pulls this crap the further we shift to far right ideals,all this will do is give trump ammo to get elected by saying anything obama does i will undo and make irrelevant,OBAMA is sitting at a 67% disaproval rating (for direction of country) www.realclearpolitics.com... with his disaproval rate being at +6 (highest for over 4 weeks) over this crap

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Did I say that? Name one law (even though this isn't one) which can't be "misused."

But you see, that's what the courts are for, to make sure that the legislative branch (which this does not involve) and the executive branch (which this does involve) do not violate the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

You know what I find funny and sad at the same time is despite all the things Obama has done and all the fear mongering the GOP has produced, the GOP still couldn't nor can they provide a quality candidate to combat the DNC.

The last election should have been a landslide and so should this one for the GOP.

However it appears to me that the GOP loyalist here on ATS and that I know in real life, continue to be concerned about what the Left and what Obama is doing rather than looking at their own party.

Funnier yet and even sadder is that a GOP loyalist has no chance to ever change the mind nor the course of the Democrat party ,but has every power to change their own party.

However, they continue to ignore the faults of their party and blame Obama and the Democrats for everything.

If you haven't been watching that strategy and the lesser evil GOP slogan hasn't panned out to well for the GOP.

So if you are a republican and really want to implement republican ideals I suggest you take a hard look at your own party as they are spending and growing gov't on par with the Democrats.

Quite so, the Republican party is no less responsible for these transgressions. Be it for enacting their own unconstitutional legislation or by their failure to combat it from the Democrats.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
What defines mentally ill and whose to decide?

Ding ding ding! THANK YOU that's what I'm trying to say!

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

ll this will do is give trump ammo to get elected by saying anything obama does i will undo and make irrelevant,

Without a doubt and sadly many will actually believe it.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: concerned190
Here ya go. A link straight from the OP.
s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Did I say that? Name one law (even though this isn't one) which can't be "misused."

But you see, that's what the courts are for, to make sure that the legislative branch (which this does not involve) and the executive branch (which this does involve) do not violate the Constitution.

So, all law can be misused. I'm glad we've settled that point since it is crucial to my perspective.

Given that that is the case, why advocate for or defend the enactment of more laws?

People seem to have the idea that government's job is to continually enact new legislation, it is not.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Given that that is the case, why advocate for or defend the enactment of more laws?
This is not a law.

People seem to have the idea that government's job is to continually enact new legislation, it is not.
Right. It is only the job of the legislative branch to do that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join