It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My solution for gun violence and gun rights

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This is already and will be a hot topic for 2016.

So I offer a solution.

Gun rights - cant change it and it shouldnt be changed.

But, if you murder someone intentionally with a gun and are convicted in a court of law, then you get a 5 year prison sentence and only until all appeals are exausted. Then it converts to an automatic death penalty.

It is pointless to have any leniency or forgiveness.

edit on 4-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Well, considering I don't agree with a death penalty this solution doesn't sound very good to me. Murder is murder and how it is done and for what reason shouldn't affect the sentence.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

If you got killed with a knife youd be just as dead and the guy would get less time...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

So I offer a solution.

But, if you murder someone intentionally with a gun and are convicted in a court of law, then you get a 5 year prison sentence and only until all appeals are exausted. Then it converts to an automatic death penalty.

Why do these kinds of statements and solutions always make me think that behind these statements is an apparent lack of experience in the business of living life.

I find that most people who have learned a bit in life tend to see that the gun issue, like many other issues, is much more complicated than such simplistic thinking would indicate.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I agree with this, if you commit a crime with a firearm its the death penalty full stop. I'm a competitive Pistol Shooter and I have had enough of these D/H's who should never of been allowed a firearm in the first place shooting people. The last thing I want is unfit people having guns, by unfit I mean criminals and mentally unstable people.

You must get a police clearance and be vetted by a club here in Australia to own a Pistol and do a firearms awareness course which includes an exam. My club is very stringent on who gets to join and if you even look like a bikie or not quite right then you don't get in.

It Works.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think if you

Use a gun during a crime, receive an automatic 5 years.

Discharge the gun during a crime, receive an automatic 10 years.

Hurt or kill someone with the gun, receive 25 to life.

After being found guilty in a court of law of course.
edit on 4-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Then you are stabbed to death, the guy is out in 5 years and marries your daughter... wish he shot you huh?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

But you can smother jerks with pillows and only have to volunteer at boy scouts? You all miss the point it aint guns... look up feudal japan... weapons were taken and people found all new ways to kill and defend themselves. People are dangerous not guns

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

I agree with this, if you commit a crime with a firearm its the death penalty

Are you sure you don't want to reword that?? a crime any crime???

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I have idea, how about increased sentencing for all violent crime and actually making them serve their term?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
There is only one solution to gun violence. Magic.
All [ and I mean all ] guns on Earth disappear and the idea is wiped from our minds.
Then, we'll go back to killing each other with sticks and rocks.....and hammers and golf clubs and bats and............................

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

There is only one solution to gun violence. Magic.
All [ and I mean all ] guns on Earth disappear and the idea is wiped from our minds.
Then, we'll go back to killing each other with sticks and rocks.....and hammers and golf clubs and bats and............................

At least then we would have a running chance to escape with our lives.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

It was a somewhat "tongue in cheek" reply. There are penalties now for violent crime and it still doesn't stop people doing stupid, rash things. That guy who caught his wife cheating is not going to stop and think of it. The gang member is not going to worry about it. The armed junkie is just worrying about his next fix and how to get it. Armed robbery is not going to go down.
Look at the penalties for smuggling drugs. How's that workin' out?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

You mean if someone violates someones right to life they lose their own?

I'll go for that. There still should be a quick and speedy trial and all.

Lots of luck with that, nowadays.

One more thing: Its people violence, not "gun violence".
edit on 4-1-2016 by intrptr because: one more thing

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

So I offer a solution.

Won't work. You fail to understand the nature of murder. This has been studied sooooo many times and the conclusion is always the same : murder is a crime apart. There is no deterrance. Do you really think when someone has decided to kill somebody they suddenly stop themselves and think "You know what I don't fancy the penalty I won't go through with it".

You get rid of gun crime by having a society that isn't obsessed with them. That will be very long slow hard slog for you colonialists over the pond.

As has been stated many times, folks over here in the UK don't go around with guns, the vast majority of our police don't have guns and yet there is no law against owning a gun.

My impression is that you folks are far more afraid of what might happen if you don't own a gun than the reality of a gun culture.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Just going to leave this here.
Study: 88% of criminologists do not believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent

A recent study by Professor Michael Radelet and Traci Lacock of the University of Colorado found that 88% of the nation’s leading criminologists do not believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent to crime. The study, Do Executions Lower Homicide Rates? The Views of Leading Criminologists, published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Crimonology, concluded, “There is overwhelming consensus among America’s top criminologists that the empirical research conducted on the deterrence question fails to support the threat or use of the death penalty.” A previous study in 1996 had come to similar conclusions.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I don't agree with capital punishment (state sanctioned murder) so this does not work for me.

- How about each gun owner has to be vetted and receive training?

- How about the out-dated US Constitution is updated to conform to the 21st century?

- How about US politics reduces the power of the lobbyists/special interests, so that so many US politicians are not dependent on the National Rifle Association?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There's a very old argument that says murders are either cold-blooded, whereby the killer doesn't think they'll get caught, or done in the heat of temper and therefore irrational. In either of those circumstances deterrents would barely be on the radar.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Exactly. Most people understand that a line is being crossed when you kill another person. So in order to willingly cross that line, many have already decided to hell with the consequences, this person needs to die.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Exactly. Death penalties might serve a purpose in some scenarios, but not as a functioning deterrent. I tend to think they exist only as an extension of the eye-for-an-eye world-view.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join