It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

there was a foreshock M4.0, 8.497 km to the NW, 9 hours before hand

2016-01-21 09:10:13 UTC
18.85, -107.2
4.0ML
281 km al OESTE de CIHUATLAN, JAL
SSN foreshock page
and
Últimos sismos

edit on 01000000202016 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The other day, I was going to write (or I did and forgot, shoulda checked first) that I am not thinking that Idaho and Northern Nevada are connected. Then today, within an hour, both areas had 2.7M earthquakes. It's been a year since that one around 5 something magnitude in Idaho. And as for Northern Nevada, it is, as I think I stated before, like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going, as Muzzy charts show. Because of this constant motion, I must be just lumping those distant ones in my mind. Looking for patterns that don't really exist. We humans are amazing at this. We see faces on Mars. Ghosts in the shadows.

But sometimes we get patterns right. Obviously. Science is based on predictive patterns. Orbits, eclipses, and such. Myself, I can see the ancestry in peoples faces. My adopted sister is Aboriginal Canadian, yet, I can see her faces in faces that I've seen in people from the Pacific Islands. Sometimes I think, oh my gosh, it's my sister, and then I realize I must be a racist.
However, I understand the simple science of human migration. That's where she originally came from. In fact, there are studies that suggest that all Canadian Aboriginal people are descended from 6 original mothers. According to DNA studies, and I ain't going to vouch for that study at the moment. But, I will say when study the faces of Aboriginal Women, I can almost see different their distant great-great... and so on, grandmothers. And just like you can see a familiar trait in your friend's families, I can see different traits in different tribes.

Patterns exist. My problem here with these earthquakes is that I know there is a pattern. But I can exactly explain how they are connected, and therefore, I can't predict any kind of pattern to prove they are linked. At the moment, in my mind, they are teasing me at every turn. When I think are connected, they stop matching it their times, and when I start thinking they are just coincidence, they start lining up. Northern Nevada is nearly constant. But not. If it was completely constant, I could explain away the thought because you can't make a link to something that's constant, because it's constant. No, this stupid pattern is like some of the relationships I've had in my life, nothing but constant conflicting signals.

Like Doctor Dolittle's Push-me-Pull-you.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891
I'd like to know what that Northern Nevada (Bald Mountain) ongoing swarm is about.
Looks Volcanic, but there is nothing geographically volcanic about Bald Mountain that I can find.
All that I notice on the maps are a lot of Springs. Also it looks a pretty dry area on the surface.
Underground Water?
I have seen this in New Zealand, around Tokannu, an underground aquifier. But Tokannu is also volcanic (Taupo)
rightclickviewimageforfullsize (1218pixelswide)

edit on 01000000222216 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
New Map Icons !!!

I've had a few goes at changing these over the years, pins, circles, orbs, but kept going back to the orbs though.
I made these to try and brighten up the maps a bit, especially the Satellite views, the orbs appeared quite dark.
The problem with these pointy markers (incl Googles) is that the point isn't actually the precise location, it is the centre of the marker. It's to do with the size default that the google mapping system is set at 32x32 pixels.
I will see how these go for a while, might get sick of them, or see a problem with some locations and change it back.
it is easy enough to change across the board using Dropbox, the only maps that won't change are the ones I did screenshots of.
example, NZ

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Let's speculate then. As you've stated, there's lots of springs and hot springs in the area. Idaho also has lots of hot springs, as does neighouring Wyoming and Montana. Obviously, Washington and Oregon have them but they are generally volcanic. Lot's of sleeping volcanoes in the Northwest. I'll not count Mt. St. Helens even though it's obviously active but in a rebuilding phase.

I'll keep my speculation short and sweet. Thin crust. There is magma slooshing and and warming up the water. The aquifers get some extra energy and they are expanding and releasing energy. This is why I think Idaho is connected. Of course the most logical answer is that Idaho is tectonic because they have mountains and there have been large tectonic earthquakes near Challis, Idaho. The reason I think there is a connect is due to the hot springs. Even if the past large earthquakes were tectonic, that doesn't mean the the originating stress wasn't from deep heating due to volcanic areas. As we know, Idaho has a long history of volcanic activity. Recent volcanic activity.

Muzzy, if you look at the two areas in charts, do you see any matching patterns. Only post something if you find something out of the ordinary. Otherwise, I'll try and move and just keep watching. In the end, Nevada could just turn off and stop without a large earthquake. Nevada has had many other swarms.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891
Yes you might be right, I have read previously elsewhere that there are huge reservoirs of fresh water beneath the United States, way more then even in the Great Lakes.

Re. the charts, this might be what you are looking for, to compare. rightclickviewimagesforfullsize
I updated Bald Mountain Nevada to todays date first

then did an ANSS search for earthquakes within 100km radius of Challis, Idaho for the same time period

Then a graph of both merged (took me ages to get both Trail Lines on the graph different colours, I usually screenshot each chart then merge the images, but it looked terrible in this case. I finally figured how to do it in Excel with 3 columns, and sorting them by text colour), all within one graph/chart.

Thats by the by and handy to know how to do it, but I don't see much except that both areas were very active around the time of the Idaho 5.0. What else was happening then I wonder? I'll have to go and check that out now.

Another note of interest, ANSS haven't got the 3.8 of 19/01/2016 @ 10km (6mi) SE of Challis, Idaho listed, but it does have todays 2.7

edit on 01000000222216 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy
Yellowstone was pretty active in January 2015 also
about the time of the Challis M5.0
www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I just just had to wake the family and run outside , 1;30 in the morning in Alaska
, never felt the house shake like that, power is out what the heck was that?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
I just just had to wake the family and run outside , 1;30 in the morning in Alaska
, never felt the house shake like that, power is out what the heck was that?

yeah man that was freaky. I was honestly thinking this was going to be the big one. Was centered in Anchor Point. 6.9 I am seeing.
edit on 24-1-2016 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sandman441

Yes my thoughts exactly , tsunami ? In kenai right now a little concerned
No where online yet

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Yes my thoughts exactly , tsunami ? In kenai right now a little concerned
No where online yet

Actually what I am seeing right now is a 7.3 at 1:30 at the volcano, then a 6.8 at the same time and then a 4. 1

earthquake.alaska.edu...

Not sure yet, nothing has popped on tv. I actually may be wrong on the 7.3 it just disappeared from the site I linked. There is no way that was a 6.8

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Wow, that one shook drawers open and had the house rolling for a bit. I'm wide awake now.
Thanks for the info sandman! I figured this would be the easiest place to find info at 1:45 in the morning. Anchor point explains why it was so strong here too, we were surfing those surface waves for at least a minute..... There were only a few things broken though.
Stay safe and hope for some more sleep after that ride!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
2016-01-24 10:30:27[/url], 59.592, -153.317, 6.4, 142.0 Sthn Alaska (2) - NOPE - DELETED NOW

2016-01-24 10:30:30, 59.658, -153.452, 7.1, 127.8 Sthn Alaska (2)
edit on 24/1/2016 by PuterMan because: deleted event

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Biggest I've felt... It's hard to see if it was one, or a combination. I don't think I'll go back to sleep yet.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodsmom
Wow, that one shook drawers open and had the house rolling for a bit. I'm wide awake now.
Thanks for the info sandman! I figured this would be the easiest place to find info at 1:45 in the morning. Anchor point explains why it was so strong here too, we were surfing those surface waves for at least a minute..... There were only a few things broken though.
Stay safe and hope for some more sleep after that ride!

yeah I felt them in Anchorage too for atleast 30 seconds to a minute before, and as that thing was going I was like this is going to get bad.

so I think they did up it to a 7.1 but we will see. This is the first quake that has ever broken anything in the house, my mom had a ton of little angels on the fire place mantel thingy, and then a few curio cabinets its a pretty big mess.

link   

My guess was about a 7 to my husband.....
That was the strongest quake I've been through in a very long time, if ever.
Even the 6.something a few years ago was nothing like this. We didn't even have anything fall off the shelves then.

ETA: I'm about forty miles north of Anchor point and right across the inlet from Redoubt.
edit on 24-1-2016 by woodsmom because: Relative location added

link   
a reply to: bryan2006

Yes it was 2. See my post above.

About 3 seconds separation.

ETA: No it was not. The 6.4 has been deleted.
edit on 24/1/2016 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodsmom

My guess was about a 7 to my husband.....
That was the strongest quake I've been through in a very long time, if ever.
Even the 6.something a few years ago was nothing like this. We didn't even have anything fall off the shelves then.

yeah I said this has to be atleast a 7 and probably higher. My mom and sister are in Kenai and the cabin was shaking pretty well I guess. It's set about 5 feet in the air on stilts.

originally posted by: PuterMan
a reply to: bryan2006

Yes it was 2. See my post above.

About 3 seconds separation.

ok cool it was 2 earthquakes then,

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure we heard that thing coming! That was crazy, yeah I couldn't sleep if I wanted to yet.

Not seeing any tsunami warning. Right at illimana too, pretty sure that's right on the ring of fire. I've had enough now. Wonder how people in anchor Point are doing? I here sirens

edit on 24-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

Eta: hear, amidst the waning adrenile I shall correct the auto correct
edit on 24-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Sorry, not so cool!!!

They have deleted one, which does not mean it won't be put back but that does not happen too often.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join