It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly
Good job too.
Even if there is already an old Fault Line there, fracking crap into the cracks isn't going to do anyone any good, except the oil barons.
man your water supply is going to be screwed in a few years
where you going to get drinking water then?, Canada?
I suppose when all the oil runs out and the water supply is totally polluted, they could use the oil pipelines to shift fresh water in to Texas and Oklahoma for the people to survive.
Fresh water is going to be the new Gold, and its not too far away.

edit on 0900000024624616 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

M 4.0 - 17km S of Whitehall, Montana
USGS
Time
2016-09-03 23:44:13 (UTC)
Depth
1.5 km

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

It is at least an admission by those in authority that injection wells do cause or exacerbate earthquakes and this can only be a good thing.

The overlords may take much time for facts to sink into their dense skulls and find it's way round the smokescreen of greed and profit but eventually they get there - I guess mainly when they realise that if proven they could be in for some rather large law suits. That is a prime mover for these obnoxious people.

Please see my signature for links to version 4.0.67.7 of QVSData. After this version is installed updates should be advised automatically. The bit working that was blocked in the Pro version which is why it did not happen.

edit on 4/9/2016 by PuterMan because: To add news of an upgrade to QVSData

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
www.geonet.org.nz...
Wooohooo I just figured how to copy and paste a link on my phone!

M5'so still popping at East Cape Ridge
edit on 0900000024724716 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

Well sort of, it left a 0 off the end of the addressee so didn't work the first time
Works now
edit on 0900000024724716 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Public ID 2016p671995
Intensity severe
Universal Time September 5 2016, 15:19:01
NZ Standard Time Tue, Sep 6 2016, 3:19:01 am
Depth 21 km
Magnitude 5.7
Location 95 km north-east of Te Araroa
Latitude, Longitude -37.00, 179.06
www.geonet.org.nz...

and half an hour ago
Public ID 2016p672188
Intensity strong
Universal Time September 5 2016, 17:01:58
NZ Standard Time Tue, Sep 6 2016, 5:01:58 am
Depth 19 km
Magnitude 5.3
Location 95 km north-east of Te Araroa
Latitude, Longitude -37.00, 179.08
www.geonet.org.nz...

I was up early, so did a QVS DataPro download specifically for East Cape Ridge, added it to the Excel file I'm running for this series and split it into 199 count bundles for Bing Maps, about to update the timeline graph and about to publish the latest and thought I would check geonet to see what the reaction to the 5.3 was .......
and there's been another 5 since I did the download! (the 5.3)

damn, I'll have to start over again
edit on 0900000024824816 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I feel since I haven't commented much on fracking over the last year, I'll just chime in now while we're still feeling the vibrations and buzz from the last big Okie quake.

Imagine a shallow 7. Luckily, this last one may cause real change and a shake up in the industry. But I'm not holding my breath. The entire idea of polluting water makes me crazy. Literally. Literally, is now an accepted literary device. The idea of fracking is literally crazy. Muzzy commented about the water being a new, dynamic commodity. It already is. Nestle pumps the aquifers in Canada and the USA and everywhere... T-Bone Pickens has already stated that the future is in controlling the water in Texas. It's so crazy. States that live in drought prone areas are using extra-ordinary amounts of water and then pollute it and pump back down, hoping for the best. I hope the earth doesn't vomit this stuff back up....

Here's the whole story on fracking. We here, were big on starting the whole discussion and how it makes earthquakes. The water is the difference. Everything else is pretty much the same as other drilling, except, the water. Way back in time, in the 1990's some engineer working for Mitchell energy I think, wanted to save his job, so he wanted to make the best of the wells that were where he lived. These wells were old and the gas was hard to get. So, companies like the DARK EMPIRE firm Haliburton, sold chemical gels that helped with sticky wells. To make the story short, this guy who wanted to save his job, watered down Haliburton's chemical gel so that he could save money and increase profits. Haliburton, like the mafia bad boys the are, strong armed him and kept increasing the prices for chemicals and the fees for the trucks that need to deliver the chemical goo. This guy kept watering it down more. Haliburton told him the well won't work because he had added too much water.

Geologists at the time thought that if you used too much water, the water would go into the shale and turn the old clay into a slippery, swollen mess, and the gas would not flow, but would in fact be stuck in the mud. The chemical is was supposed to help keep the gas moving and was supposed to stabilize the clay. But when the engineer dude put massive amounts of water into the ground, the volume of gas increased rather than decreased. The engineer and Haliburton had a pissing contest and the dude won. He then said, what the heck, and used only water. The volume increase even more.

You don't really need much chemical, despite Haliburton claiming trade secrets with fracking. No, the just use bleach to kill bacteria, and some detergent to keep the gases moving. So, the chemicals involved are really the same stuff you use to clean your kitchen. It's the water which is key to the whole thing, and it was discover by fluke of circumstance...

The engineer dude didn't make a penny from idea. He worked for Mitchell Energy. They made billions.... and are destroying the environment and they have destabilized the oil market. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Canada, and others, know what has happened to energy prices. America, it made be said, has used the oil market as a weapon.

Saudi Arabia and Russia have decided to retaliate. No longer it would seem, that the American need the Saudis. Oh, my.

I think things are going to get worse... Yemen's a mess... Turkey and the Saudis are knee deep in the blood of the Sunnis.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to state there is a big power shift. And it's confusing... But not. Wait, it's the earthquakes...

There is no stopping fracking. It is now a matter of fact. I remember a time when I didn't know thing one about it. There was debate about the origin of the earthquakes in Arkansas way back when. We knew what was causing them. Now the world seems to know that the earthquakes are man made, yet the continue.

Please New Madrid, ignore all the shaking along your spine. Stay stillllllll..

Imaine a 6.7M shallow, in Memphis....
Just think Italy, times ten or a hundered....

Imagine a swarm of large earthquakes...

Alright, I'll stop now. The source of the earthquakes is known, and they are still drilling. In words of the ugliest of Americans, Sarah Palin, drill, baby drill. And they did. and they ain't stopping and well,

I'm glad the Okie earthquake wasn't bigger...

Oh, one comment about Italy. Wow, some of the buildings that collapsed were retro-fitted.

Nothing is retro-fitted in mid-west. Bricks will fall...

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

There was debate about the origin of the earthquakes in Arkansas way back when. We knew what was causing them.

I remember that thread, it was one of the first major treads in which I became involved an hunted down a lot of info.

If the induced seismicity continues and keeps tapping on whatever other faults may rest down below in addition to New Madrid, it is possible we could see a big one like in times past.

Importance of small earthquakes for stress transfers and earthquake triggering is a study published on the Cornell University Library database which indicates just that possibility:

The stronger the spatial clustering, the larger the influence of small earthquakes on stress changes at the location of a future event as well as earthquake triggering. If earthquake magnitudes follow the Gutenberg-Richter law with b>D/2, small earthquakes collectively dominate stress transfer and earthquake triggering, because their greater frequency overcomes their smaller individual triggering potential.

This is telling us that even though each individual quake represents only a small amount of energy release, the cumulative effects are more than the sum total. In other words there is a possible synergistic effect with a multitude of small quakes on a (non) related fault system within a certain geographical area.

Why hasn't this been given more research?

Because large earthquakes modify stress over a much larger area than smaller ones, and because computing Coulomb stress changes requires a good model of slip distribution available only for large earthquakes, most studies have neglected the influence of “small” earthquakes.

So, how does this influence propagate into a fault system?

• A triggered earthquakes size is independent of the magnitude of the triggering event (“mainshock”) as suggested by [Helmstetter, 2003]. This implies that the crust is everywhere close to failure, such that any small earthquake, triggered by a previous small one, can grow into an event much larger than its trigger

As one takes notice of the rifts that circle the globe and then thinks about the fact that there is spreading taking place around the globe, one cannot help but conclude that all of the that spreading is going to be causing pressure to increase in areas which are being "crowded." This results in a globe who's surface is everywhere fractured, thus on the point of rupture at any given time with no prior notice.

What does all of this mean?

These results imply that a small earthquake can trigger a much larger earthquake. It thus validates our hypothesis that the size of a triggered earthquake is not determined by the size of the trigger, but that any small earthquake can grow into a much larger one [Kagan, 1991b; Helmstetter, 2003; Felzer et al., 2004]. The magnitude of the triggering earthquake controls only the number of triggered quakes
emphasis mine

So, smaller quakes can trigger larger quakes and it is merely the number of quakes triggered, not size of subsequent quake which is affected when considering remote triggering.

It all boils down to this:

Although large earthquakes are much more important than smaller ones for energy release, small quakes have collectively the same influence as large ones for stress changes between earthquakes, due to seismic spatial clustering.
emphasis mine

Since smaller quakes occur in a more compact area, they have influence equivalent to larger quakes due to the closer proximity to one another.

Something to ponder.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

So let me ask you this... Where I read these small earthquakes in Oklahoma will release pressure on the New Madrid meaning it won't cause a big one instead it's the opposite it will help not cause a big one. True or false?

If I'm understanding your post what I read is actually false?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Soon, I will go on a long rant about water, clay and earthquakes. I've been rethinking fracking...

But, another idea has possessed me first and I'm too busy to say much. Other than there is a definite correlation to the earthquakes in the mid-Atlantic and storms. Again, water creating earthquakes. The leading edge of the hurricane is hitting the Atlantic ridge. The radar, and the winds maps show lots of stuff right where the 5.1M hit.

The winds create waves, and storm surges. This applies pressure. Both on and off pressure as waves do because the ebb and flow and change directions as the low pressure moves. Lots of stuff happen. So cool. Why doesn't anyone animate my ideas. oh welllll....
One day, ....

the moon is made from cheeze. my son hates that I spell cheeze with a zed.

No, the moon is made from earth's volcanoes...

I think I have a few more minutes...

One definition of crazy can be, trying to hold polar opposite views at the same time, and equally, ready to fight and die to defend both ideas.

I have been a demon and an angel. Sometimes, at the same time.

So, how can I say the water will lubricate clay, (there's some fancy names for it, like shale and serpentine, and others...) causing earthquakes as fault slip and such. This is the reason the oil geologists thought that water would make the gas sticky. No, it made it flow. Water under pressure was causing small fractures in the shale and these tiny cracks allowed gas to move. The clay at this deep doesn't seem to absorb water the same way at the surface. Basic physics, but at depth and under pressure it's a different story.

Water is causing earthquakes. It's just that it's acts more like fracking and injection. If we forget the man-made bull scat, and we look at natural earthquakes, we must realize the same thing is happening on other fault system. Maybe not all, but, many still. Water is moving downward, natural pressures at depth force water to fracture the rock. The fractures allow gas to move, this creates more space, more water gets in, and cracks more rock, tiny cracks, and moving gas, and moving water. Are you seeing it. All these tiny little earthquakes and small movements allow silent big slips and everything is breaking and moving in slow motion. The energy is moving the system.

I guess it works the same way for the big slip earthquakes. The small water induced earthquakes create pressure changes, fracturing, load and stress changes, gas and water movement which helps with erosion which creates bigger cracks and increases flows.

It's the water....

edit on 6-9-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

From my understanding, the whole "smaller quakes release pressure thus preventing larger quakes" is incorrect. At least according to the USGS:

Can you prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by "lubricating" the fault with water or another material?

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake it would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, 32,000 magnitude 3's (and so on for smaller earthquakes) to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones there are never enough to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for "lubricating" faults with water or some other substance, injecting high pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. However, this would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area as one might trigger a damaging earthquake.

USGS Earthquake FAQs

The above also indicates that injecting high-pressure fluids deep in to the ground in areas known to be susceptible to large quakes is not a good idea and so one would have to wonder why they are doing exactly this?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Well, just today we have 3 states ( below) fracking away causing minor shifts in the earth. Guess time will tell.

Caldwell, KS
Peco, TX
Medford, OK

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy
Accumoli, Lazio, Italy, 6.0ML (6.2Mw)
How soon we forget and move on
I bet the locals haven't moved on, except to evacuate away
I just realized I never followed through with this and just did a ISIDe search
holy macaroni
"#Terremoti totali: 4,353" since I last looked on 28th Aug
I will process those now and update the page, there were already 1,993 to the end of the 27th.

edit on 0900000024924916 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
updated now. 6021 aftershocks. 333 hrs elpased.
From the map it looks like there are 8 main clusters.
When I built the L'Aquilla table I broke it into areas based on town names in the location addresses, but that a major task getting the addresses for 6022 locations without seizing up the program. Most batch reverse geocoding only allow so many queries each day.
I'll run a few through now and then do some more tomorrow.
At slightly less elapsed time of 297hrs L'Aquilla had had 9042 aftershocks, but less TTNT energy released, mainly because the official magnitude of the main shock was 0.1 point less at 5.9.

both pages are here, on the Italy category/label
edit on 0900000025025016 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The trifecta is back.
Japan, New Zealand, Chile.
Is there one in the pipeline?

WOQ

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If you are refering to the last 24hrs, you missed the Aleutian Is (incl.Komandorskiye) in the mix
especially 2 of the biggest (5.4) at Komandorskiye
the common denominator is what?
The Pacific Plate and subduction zones
One can assume that it just expanded in all directions
except south
so look out for something shortly at
Macquarie Island
Balleny Islands Region
Pacific-Antarctic Ridge
edit on 0900000025125116 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

M6.3 - 29km SW of Macquarie Island, Australia
2016-09-08 21:46:21 UTC
54.576°S 158.637°E
10.0 km depth

Bluff, New Zealand
1119.8 km (695.8 mi) SW
Invercargill, New Zealand
1139.0 km (707.7 mi) SW
Gore, New Zealand
1191.9 km (740.6 mi) SW
Queenstown, New Zealand
1281.1 km (796.0 mi) SW
Dunedin, New Zealand
1282.6 km (797.0 mi) SW

USGS
6.3 EMSC
edit on 8-9-2016 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Good call! 😉

WOQ

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I didn't expect it so soon though.

everything pointed that way, hasn't been one down there for a while

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...-info