It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Word wizards out there today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So I am trying to edit around hyperlinks but they are activating despite the option to need to have CNTL pressed being set.

As an example I need to put a space between two hyperlinked lines, but when I hit enter at the end of the first line it opens the hyperlink.

I’ve tried toggling the CNTRL option and tried it both checked and unchecked.

Google isn’t helping today. Any ideas?
Office 365
Win8

Cheers!
CB

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Have you tried editing in Notepad instead ?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

sorry, just reread the post...
edit on 31-12-2015 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

I'll lose all of my hyperlinks, fonts and other formatting if I copy things I'm editing to Notepad. Plus it adds a bunch of steps each time I have to edit. The document is 371 000 words growing and there is a lot of hyperlinked stuff that needs editing.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just use a pen and paper.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff

I have to agree. If you want to keep your work do what the professionals do, use pen and paper. As an IT guy for 30 years I have realised that hard copies are the only way. If you cant print all the info (including the info in the links), its no good. Instead of links, write down the info contained in the links. We are getting too lazy these days. Using links is lazy. Put the info from the links into your doc directly, then print it or possibly lose it, its up to you.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxx

I have to agree. If you want to keep your work do what the professionals do, use pen and paper. As an IT guy for 30 years I have realised that hard copies are the only way. If you cant print all the info (including the info in the links), its no good. Instead of links, write down the info contained in the links. We are getting too lazy these days. Using links is lazy. Put the info from the links into your doc directly, then print it or possibly lose it, its up to you.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at all. Besides I can't exactly build a database without a computer or links to the material. I'm pretty sure someone using the database doesn't want to have to scroll through 371 thousand words and images of the 18 thousand artifacts they are describing. Perhaps you should take your own advice, shut off the computer and mail me a hand written response to my question. I'm sure that would be much more efficient.

edit on 31-12-2015 by CraftBuilder because: typos.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Opps.
edit on 31-12-2015 by CraftBuilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I guess I should stop expecting serious replies from ATS members and instead use subject specific websites to ask questions on. Thought things were better than this here.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
[
edit on 31-12-2015 by brancolinoxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at all. Besides I can't exactly build a database without a computer or links to the material. I'm pretty sure someone using the database doesn't want to have to scroll through 371 thousand words and images of the 18 thousand artifacts they are describing. Perhaps you should take your own advice, shut off the computer and mail me a hand written response to my question. I'm sure that would be much more efficient.

But surley if they are reading the links they are still reading the same amount of info? If you are claiming there is too much info, edit it. Its a common practice. You need to present your info in a way people stay interested. The amount of info you provide is the same wether it is linked or not. I dont understand why you see a difference. How was I to know how many links you have???? How do I know what your info is and how you are presenting it??? If my help is irrelevant, just let me knowin a respectful way ( I have taken time on new years eve to offer my opinion...crap as you may see it) as I have obviously misunderstood....which is fine isnt it?

No need to get stroppy, im just trying to help. If you dont like what I say, fine. But I have taken my time to offer you advice. Why get stroppy with people trying to help???? If you dont agree with my advice, that is fine as we are human and it is normal. Dont get funny with people offering help dude. Especially when you ask for it. Jeez.

How sad (and frustrating) the need for people to derail threads. I'm ending this conversation with you. I asked a specific question about a function in Word, not to have my time wasted engaging in a debate on data management choices.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Have you tried space bar after hyperlink and then enter, or right click on hyperlink and undo hyperlink.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
a reply to: crowdedskies

I'll lose all of my hyperlinks, fonts and other formatting if I copy things I'm editing to Notepad. Plus it adds a bunch of steps each time I have to edit. The document is 371 000 words growing and there is a lot of hyperlinked stuff that needs editing.

Apologies also. I thought you were coding in html .

It seems that the space after the first hyperlink needs to be cleared of the hyperlink .

Space - right-click - remove hyperlink (as suggested by CKHK3 ) should work

You are in the right forum which is computer and internet help

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3
Have you tried space bar after hyperlink and then enter, or right click on hyperlink and undo hyperlink.

When I click against the left or right side of the linked text to add a space it activates the hyperlink. Its more problematic when I have to edit within the linked text.

If I undo the hyperlink, then after editing the text I have to browse to the link location (scrolling through hundreds of folders) and set up the hyperlink again. I wouldn't mind doing that on occasion but I've already linked over 18 000 items and there is a lot of editing to do. This is what the CNTRL hyperlink disable function essentially is for, so text in links can be edited. I'm hoping I've just inadvertently set something else that disabled the option.

Thanks for the ideas.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilderI found the easiest way to provide multiple links is to list them. 1.) 2.) 3.) or.
1.)
2.)
3.)

new topics

top topics

join