It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC website down (Thurs 31st Dec). DDoS attack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
The BBC website is currently down, showing a "Error 500 - Internal Error" message. This is normally a highly reliable site, and probably the go-to site in the UK for news. The BBC Twitter feed is making no mention of it. Could this be a DDoS attack? Is there any way of knowing?
edit on 31-12-2015 by lacrimoniousfinale because: Day / date mismatch corrected.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

The website is up for me, but I live in the states. Maybe it's your internet connection if the BBC website is not experience any issues.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

I am in the UK and also getting the error. very unusual for the BBC but a litlle early to speculate as to what is wrong.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Teddy916

I am in the UK and also getting the error. very unusual for the BBC but a litlle early to speculate as to what is wrong.

That is weird! It's normal for me; I click the link and instantly go to their home page.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Link to an explanation.

Technical issue apparently.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Down for me

Censorship at its finest??

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: errorcode
Censorship at its finest would be more subtle.
Shutting down all news of any kind would achieve nothing useful for a censor. People would just get the news from somewhere else.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Shutting down all news of any kind would achieve nothing useful for a censor. People would just get the news from somewhere else.

I seem to remember from somewhere that if the bbc world service goes down for more than half an hour then royal navy captains at sea have to assume we are at war.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

It used to be the case that subs surfaced in the morning and were told to assume the worst if BBC World service wasn't transmitting. Not sure whether it is still true (or if it ever was) but have certainly heard the same thing.

I was looking at the site less than an hour ago but won't load now.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Could this be a DDoS attack?

They say it's a technical issue , I guess A DDoS could be classed as a technical issue.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb

It used to be the case that subs surfaced in the morning and were told to assume the worst if BBC World service wasn't transmitting. Not sure whether it is still true (or if it ever was) but have certainly heard the same thing.

I was looking at the site less than an hour ago but won't load now.

Yes you are correct.

I think I saw on QI that is still technically the case.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Thanks for your earlier link.

I guess it's "duck-and-cover" time, then! This reminds me of a protocol, possibly apocryphal and possibly related to johnb's post below, about where UK submarines are to head for in the event of a military coup. I think it's America first, then Australia. After that, I'm not sure.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Not the world service but the Today program , it can be received by our Nuclear subs so if they can't tune in over consecutive days they are to assume the UK has been hit and can break the seals on their codes and let rip.

Long live the Today program.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: DISRAELI

I seem to remember from somewhere that if the bbc world service goes down for more than half an hour then royal navy captains at sea have to assume we are at war.

The US doesn't have the same thing. Well, maybe C-Span is close (but no one watches it) or PBS, but it's website being down wouldn't cause great alarm lol.

PBS radio being down would cause alarm among those that like to listen to news and talk shows that calm them. PBS TV in about an hour in EST would cause parents great alarm if the children;s shows weren't on.
edit on 31-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

pbs.org is up with a HUGE picture of Edith from Downton Abbey. So all is well.

I am still upset it is over....

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
BBC news website and iplayer back online now.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
link

from the article:

The problems began about 0700 GMT and meant visitors to the site saw an error message rather than webpages.
Sources within the BBC said the sites were offline thanks to what is known as a "distributed denial of service" attack.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
as long as Channel 5 is ok, and CBB UK is going to be on next week, all is well

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

We've had problems with the streaming service tonight. It is unusual but the mrs says it's happened to her before then been fine later on. Interesting about the subs assuming we are at war lol.

new topics

top topics

join