It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you ever live in Europe? or retire there????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Would you ever live in Europe? or retire there???? I think it could be fun. Like there's so many things to see and do there I'm sure. Like they actually have culture which north america has none of. I think it would be fun to live and travel around europe. Maybe have a little place there somewhere warm by the mediterainian or something. I'm just debating the idea of making it a new home perhaps; if all the stars aliegn.

How much do you think you'd have to be making to retire there???

edit on 31-12-2015 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
They would probably kick me out if I moved there.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I hear ya! We don't have any of that old architecture, art and culture here in Australia either. I went to Europe in 2013 and was absolutely gobsmacked at the age, beauty, history, hospitality... everything about it. I had no words to tell my friends when I returned.

I'm now planning a Greek Isle cruise in 2017 but I'm not sure of the best way to see the islands. I'm not keen on dragging my suitcase around after me on ferries, but I don't want to take a large cruise ship either. Anyone got any suggestions, I'm all ears? Small cruising the isles is my preferred option, but nothing too pricey!

Your short video made me want the time to fly more quickly. But to be honest current events in Europe are making me wonder what 2017 will look like over there.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to personally, but my dream house is 20 miles away from the nearest town with some acreage for horses. Many of my hobbies also don't translate well to Europe.

I think if you like a more urban existence Europe is a wonderful place to live. You're so close to all these amazing places, hop on a train and go be immersed in a completely different culture. I've been to Italy, and I was very taken with it. There's actually public transportation and walkable cities. There's so much history.

My understanding is that you have to really be willing to downsize if you live there. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, my house is about 1,000 sq ft. (more than twice as small as the American average) and I think it's way too big for me; I don't need 3 bedrooms. What I would struggle with is losing the lot. Again, at 10,000 sq ft. it's a pretty small lot, but I like having space to play with my dog and grow things. I never hear my neighbors, I don't worry about them hearing me, I have a garage, I have space for my project Jeep. I may be wrong, but I don't think you could get all that for $270,000 in the UK. You could get at least 2x the house and land in other parts of the US for that price. In the UK, which is abysmal for homeowners, the average house is smaller than mine, and costs more, and I doubt there is much of a lot.

Like they actually have culture which north america has none of.

I disagree with this, but I know what you mean.

Honestly, I'm just stuck on my home state of Washington. We have amazing mountains, we have rain forest, we have desert, we have beaches. We've got big entertaining cities and glorious open spaces. Everything is always green, other places I've been just seem dull by comparison. I was driving tonight and the mountains were framed by these gorgeous trees, 20 minutes in the other direction and I would be at the beach. There's nowhere I'd rather live.

Hey, if it's your dream, start saving up to travel. Stay at hostels, travel by rail and visit all over. Check it out! If I were more into urban living I could totally see moving to Europe. Takes a lot of guts to move to another country, especially one so far away. Make sure it's what you want to do, and if it is, DO IT!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hi European here.

Ah its so difficult to say if that is a good idea.

Its like with the states, I am sure their are some states I would love to live, and others not so much.
So it is with the European countries. Even in my small country of the Netherlands their are places of indescribable beauty and then their are places that are so dull and empty either physically or spiritually that if that was the only part of the country you would have seen, you would never return.

As I have discussed with many in other threads. Europe is not superior to US it just has a very long history and many many bloody wars in its past. So a lot of the cultural and economic disputes that would have ripped us apart in the past are now thoroughly settled. Which makes it kind of a peaceful place to live right now. In the end you should live where you feel at home even if that home is not perfect, then again you certainly can live out some dreams in Europe.

Boat trips in the Mediterranean. Scotish hamlets with a fireplace, Spring in Rome, Summer in Paris. Austrian Winter Alps. Hiking in Scandinavia. If you have the money and / or enthusiasm.

Thing is if you are into Baseball or Superbowl and such or really want and need to carry guns on your person in public places. Europe might not be your kind of place to hang out. That said if you are a gun enthusiast, with a little effort you can still do it for sport.

Kind Regards
edit on 31-12-2015 by GamleGamle because: extra thoughts

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I moved to Italy from the UK. We have a modest size house with a few acres of land and it was way cheaper than buying a garage in the UK. I couldnt be happier, never expected to own a house with no mortgage, and have land too. There is a great community spirit here and the police are great...Im not used to great police officers. They will joke and have a laugh with you, even if they have pulled you over for something you have done wrong. I forgot to have my lights on (not required in the UK during the day), they pulled me over and started taking the piss of my vespa (its a bit old), I took the piss back claiming it was Italian and only in fact 2 years old, just not well made (obviously just messing with them), ended up joining them in the bar a few days later to watch football at their request. Never had anything like that happen in the UK and it seems normal here.

The weather is excellent, we have fresh raw milk, fresh heirloom vegetables, fresh local meat with no hormones or antibiotics, beer and wine is incredibly cheap (I currently pay 2 euros for my bottles of prossecco), because wine does not travel well, all the best wines stay in Italy.

The only issue I have is the language as my skills are terrible. Im persevering though and the locals help (and take the piss a little).

I would recommend Southern Europe, the rest of the Eu isnt much different than the US, more industrialised, colder and very unhealthy food due to all the crap they put in it these days. And aggressive police.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: GamleGamle
Hi European here.

Ah its so difficult to say if that is a good idea.

Its like with the states, I am sure their are some states I would love to live, and others not so much.
So it is with the European countries. Even in my small country of the Netherlands their are places of indescribable beauty and then their are places that are so dull and empty either physically or spiritually that if that was the only part of the country you would have seen, you would never return.

As I have discussed with many in other threads. Europe is not superior to US it just has a very long history and many many bloody wars in its past. So a lot of the cultural and economic disputes that would have ripped us apart in the past are now thoroughly settled. Which makes it kind of a peaceful place to live right now. In the end you should live where you feel at home even if that home is not perfect, then again you certainly can live out some dreams in Europe.

Boat trips in the Mediterranean. Scotish hamlets with a fireplace, Spring in Rome, Summer in Paris. Austrian Winter Alps. Hiking in Scandinavia. If you have the money and / or enthusiasm.

Thing is if you are into Baseball or Superbowl and such or really want and need to carry guns on your person in public places. Europe might not be your kind of place to hang out. That said if you are a gun enthusiast, with a little effort you can still do it for sport.

Kind Regards

The gun controls here are not too bad. It is easier to legally own a gun than it is in some US cities now. I dont need a gun so not an expert but due to the hunting here everyone has gun collections as it is a part of the tradition here. No automatic weapons though, only the police here have them. No-one really feels the need for that kind of weapon..........well, not yet anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: GamleGamle

Holland is a lovely place. The dutch are very friendly, being a polite Englishman the dutch can come accross a little abrupt but you soon realise that is just the way they speak. Really lovely people.

The Italians do complain about the Dutch holiday makers though as they always come prepared so dont spend much money. I find it funny.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
BTW, happy new year.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

There is lots of wilderness in the Eu. Land can be dirt cheap too. We are in the Garfagnana region which is coastal mountains and forrests streatching over the Alps into Switzerland. You can ski and be sunbathing on the beach in the dunes in the same afrternoon.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We're sorry Ricky, your flight has been re-directed to Australia

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
There are certain places in Europe that I might consider.

For some odd reason, a little place called Andorra has appealed greatly. One day I'd like to visit, and who knows, I might like it enough to move there.

The Isle of Skye, too. I've a couple of friends who live there, though I've lost contact with them. Someday.

The French Riviera has a certain appeal to this soon to be dirty old man...

I was born in West Germany, though I suppose I should just say Germany now, so I'd like to see that, now that I'm old enough to remember it...

Lots of places I'd like to see, but move there and retire/settle? Not so much. Way too much of the U.S. that I haven't seen, yet.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
No never retire to the eu or the uk.
Stay In your lovely USA you can have guns there.
Come on holiday sure but the last thing we want is elderly usaers coming over and spelling everything wrong and such.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Ah, c'mon, you know you want a bunch of loudly dressed, loud talkin', ol' yanks runnin' 'round your fair green isle. I promise, I'll even wear polyester pants, and a Hawaiian shirt, and a cowboy hat.

Just for you.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I wish I could afford to retire in Europe.

The sites, the history, what a wonderful place to retire to.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The shirt can come I will take care of him lol.
I love hawaiian shirts.
oh and Nicole kidman.
I think any Usaers coming other would have to take a test on our ways before they come over and embarrass themselves.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
If Americans come here, they must learn the language first, and assimilate into the culture. Using the term Soccer, will not be permitted. Anywhere, and you can leave your religious fervour on the plane.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

They must also learn pubs do not have waiter service and moaning about it loudly will just get spit in their pie.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Isn't she an Aussie? which is certainly a point in their favor...grrrr.

In all seriousness, many Americans could use a lesson in manners when visiting places away from home, but then, again, the same could be said fer you damned ferrirners...

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Naah, I'll keep my religious fervor in my pocket for when I visit various cathedrals...I love those old, old European churches.

Just kidding. Except I do love those old cathedrals, there's nothing like 'em here. We have the Grand Canyon though, which is sort of like a cathedral...sort of...kinda...

No wait service in pubs...got it. Oddly enough, that's an important safety tip.

Actually, you'd like me as a visitor. Even if I do spell oddly upon occasion.

It's soccer, baby. Not to be confused with American, or Aussie, football. I love all three.
edit on 12/31/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join