It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to stop your isp from injecting adds and maby lower ur ping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
so as some of u may know i had my isp injecting adds some others hear has it to

i was talking to maby the smartest network/pc tech i know today about it and dhu so simple how to fix it
change ur dns at first i went with google dns but realized i dont like the idea of letting google see everything i do and found oppendns
and was rather suprised at how much it can do

even parental controls that even the smartest kid couldent bypass
i remeber back in the day my mom put one on the pc and i had it disabled in a whole 5 mins
www.opendns.com

or if u dont wana sine up

the ip is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
google dns is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

i changed the dns inside my router you can do it on just your computer

i shouldent have to do this but was plesantly suprised my ping droped bye 20 and my speed went up 3 mbps vs my isp dns

hope i helped someone with this lol maby i finaly posted something useful

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Or, you know, just use ad-blockers.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

a fyew reasions one if there injecting that also means there deep packet inspecting thus slowing down ur net
i really dont like the idea of paying for adds doing this effectivly cuts there note to inspect and inject out of the loop
and u know it can speed up ur net

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

could you explain this a little better for twits like me?
currently I'm using my providers router since Belkan had that big crash awhile ago, I just never re-set the bellman back up......lazies.....my bad.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Figured I'd add what I do. I use a hosts file to block everything, that way it gets blocked before getting into my PC. This will also block ads inside any computer games.

winhelp2002.mvps.org...

And if you don't want to have to check every few months to see if they've updated it, you can use this program called Hostsman.

www.abelhadigital.com...

Now even though it will block ads, it will leave empty spots on webpages, so I use an addon/plugin/extension to clean all of that up and perhaps block anything the hosts file missed.

EDIT:
I did some searching around on that specific problem and found this article on how to stop it.
hackercodex.com...

It turns out, however, that ditching your ISP’s DNS servers may not be enough. Recently, the same ISP DNS hijacking shenanigans have been observed even when DNS settings are explicitly configured to use non-ISP servers such as Google’s.

edit on 12/30/2015 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
good info there i happen to use ddwrt so really nice
to caver78

i got 2 things to advice u on 1 buy a ddwrt capable router just google ddwrt this is a bit advanced

or go to opendns sine up its free not a scam or anything and it has a full set of instructions of how to use it

i really advise number one i spent a whole 40 bucks on a ddwrt capable router and the power it gives u once u learn it is amazing it turns ur 40$ router into a 400$ router packed with features no other redidental router can offer

edit so far lucky me my isp only injects and inspects i have the option at any time to fix this if it changes tho
edit on 30-12-2015 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
S&F.
I've used OpenDNS for years. I don't know how much it really helps with ads in my case, but it certainly makes a difference in lag and speed. I've put some folks on it that were having issues with youtube buffering videos, and the majority of their youtube problems disappeared. Not in all cases, but enough to know it definitely makes a difference.

Using a modified hosts file as mentioned above can be helpful with ads, if it's a good mod. Beware: Some are not, and can do more damage than good. Always keep a way handy to reset your hosts file back to default.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There are a few plug-ins that work to help defeat that kind of traffic
first I would suggest using “ublock” and privacy badger together

but for maximum filtering you may want to combine those 2 with “Ghostery”, “no scripts”, and “u-matrix” to get full control of injects and ad traffic.

Keep in mind that this may cause some sites to load slow and or incorrectly therefore you would need to strike a balance with certain sites if you are using all of them together. Also you can disable each one for certain sites or all together if needed by clicking on there icons and following up accordingly.
This is one of the more simple ways I have found to combat this issue on the web.

Hope this helps

top topics

join