It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress wants NASA to build a deep space habitat for astronauts, and finish it by 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Congress wants NASA to build a deep space habitat for astronauts, and finish it by 2018

Though dust has hardly settled on NASA’s triumphant budget increase doled out by members of Congress this month, the agency is already hard at work proving it deserves the extra funding. Its next order of business? Heed Congress’ instruction to develop a sufficient prototype model of a deep space habitat by no later than 2018. For those glancing at the calendar, 2018 is just two short years away, meaning NASA has roughly 730 days to show off what could likely shape deep space travel for dozens of decades. No pressure.

As high as these stakes sound to non-rocket scientists, NASA likely took Congress’ urging in stride considering the agency’s momentous 2015 is solely responsible for the increase in funding. Packaged inside the budget given to the Advanced Exploration Systems program — which will receive $350 million in 2016 — NASA’s deep space habitat prototype has roughly $55 million of funding to work with. The hope is that by the late 2020s, full-fledged cislunar (between Earth and the moon) testing of a capable habitat will be possible, and by 2030, human missions to Mars will be able to launch from it.

Artist rendition of an Inspiration Mars capsule and habitat. -Mars inspiration.

NASA International Space Station director Sam Scimemi envisions habituation testing (as well as testing of other essential space tech) to take place during what he calls a “shakedown cruise” in cislunar space. This extensive testing, he hopes, should provide enough proof NASA is able to develop a proficient model for long-duration, human-led missions to Mars. According to Scimemi, this idea is “our big objective for cislunar space for human spaceflight.”

Click link for remainder of article...

Well this is now getting interesting.. First Congress not only gives NASA the budget they requested, they gave them more money than they asked for. Now congress wants a prototype habitat by 2018 to use as a jumping off point to set the stage for manned missions to Mars.

We need to ensure congress continues to properly fund the space program and then some. Space is the one area that reminds humans we are not citizens from different countries but we are all members of the human race.

* - Extra 1.3 billion allocated to NASA for 2016 budget.
edit on 29-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I was not expecting this!!

This is such a grand and glorious notion... Congress will screw it up somehow...or NASA will.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think im gonna go with cautious optimism on this one... With the direction the world has been going the last decade plus (help me obi-wan) space may be our only hope that the human race doesn't annihilate ourselves while destroying the earth.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I really hope you're wrong about the directions we're headed... But I share your concerns.

Lots of room out yonder. Can't get us all!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I wonder if the habitat is the prototype of an eventual colonization of Mars by the Elites?

In Blade Runner the poor live in Earth while the Elite lived off world.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

You think the "elites" are going to terraform an entire world? That's going to be the work of several lifetimes...

If anything, they'll kick us "non-elites" off world so they can continue living on Fifth Ave, and shop on Rodeo Drive.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I like it. Guessing part of the money will also go towards developing a superconducting magnetic shield to protect astronauts from suns radiation and cosmic rays,

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

But they can go off world so should shtf in Earth, they can return when the coast is clear.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
I like it. Guessing part of the money will also go towards developing a superconducting magnetic shield to protect astronauts from suns radiation and cosmic rays,

* - Can A Mega-Magnetic Field Protect Astronauts From Radiation?

A bunch of people really, really want to go to the Red Planet on the proposed one-way Mars One trip; more than 1,000 applicants are being considered in Round 2 selections. They will face, however, more radiation during their journey that could put them at higher risk of cancers down the road. While the solution could be to add more shielding to a spacecraft, that’s both heavy and expensive.

Enter the alternative: a magnetic field. A group calling itself the EU Project Space Radiation Superconductive Shield says their technology will “solve the issue of radiation protection in three years” and is seeking academic collaborations to make that happen. Here’s how it will work:

“The SR2S superconducting shield will provide an intense magnetic field, 3,000 times stronger than the Earth’s magnetic field and will be confined around the space craft,” a press release states.

“The magnetic fields will extend to about 10 metres in diameter and ionizing particles will be deflected away. Only the most energetic particles will penetrate the superconducting shield, but these will contribute the least to the absorbed radiation dose as their flux is negligible. This will address the issue of suitability of people for space travel as it will open up eligibility for space travel regardless of gender.”

click link for remainder...

They are already working on it.

* - Tractor beam created: the ‘holy grail for laser physicists’

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

But they can go off world so should shtf in Earth, they can return when the coast is clear.

I would think the elite wouldn't tell the rest of us what they are doing.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
If there is supposed to be a flyable station in 2 years (per headline), it's not going to happen. I hope that's not what Congress is expecting.

On the the other hand, a habitat prototype, that's a bit more feasible. Which is what the article actual says.

edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

A prototype....

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I know. The headline sucks because it implies something quite different.
The real thing is more than 10 years out.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I know. The headline sucks because it implies something quite different.
The real thing is more than 10 years out.

Sensational titles aside what are your thoughts on the goal?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
For the prototype? I think that NASA will certainly slap something reasonable together. Hopefully it will be enough to convince the next and subsequent Congresses to continue to provide funding.

For the real thing? Doable, but ambitious on the stated timeframe.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Lol
looks like Congress are not happy with underground bunkers for World War three

They want to be off the planet when it happens

Why the rush
Do they know something we don't
Or is there something heading our way
Like a ELE event comet or meteor

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Maybe involve other nations / agencies?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: piney

The thing wouldnt be operational until the 2020's with manned mars missions in 2030.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Maybe.
For the Mars mission itself though, that's pretty much a given.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I suppose they could.

Nefarious plans, or no, I doubt they'd tell us if they were.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join